Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Joe H.

Default Re: WARNINGS TO FUTURE DAWN PRINCESS PASSENGERS

How can anyone think that MB has an axe to grind? At least a dozen postings in the last 6 - 8 weeks have talked about all the problems with this ship and cruise line. He was bold, direct and right on with his points and I applaud him!

And yes I have mis-spelled words, It's OK.

Joe
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

To Lancet, I guess I opened a can of worms by even writing in the first place. First of all, it doesnt matter to me whether you believe me or not, and having degrees from schools or positions, has nothing to do penmanship when writing fast and direct, this isnt an english class, this is a web site for, I once thought constructive criticism and opinions of cruises and cruise lines. With regard to having an ax to grind, I have been on countless ships, that i thought were quite good and had many positive attributes. Just because I believe as many in the industry do, that carnival has tended to reduce the quality of princess, since their purchase, doesnt mean I have a vendetta against them. If you speak to many people who have been cruising for many years on princess, savvy experienced travelers will more than likely tell you that they feel the same as I do. And finally my impressions on the Dawn, were reflected by hundreds of people on the same cruise, maybe I was just one of the ones that wanted to outwardly express my disatisfaction. Please dont put other people down personally because you disagree with their opinions, and if you think that proper grammar and english tools are reflective of someones level or capabilities, i would if I was you, investigate all the unqualified people that work in government and/or attend ivy league institutions because of personal/family connections. Im sorry, I think your comments are way off base.
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:28 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default Re: Re: WARNINGS TO FUTURE DAWN PRINCESS PASSENGERS

Dear MB,

Well done!!!

I come from your angle and have suffered the same type of 'micktaking' and angry posts from other Carnival users because I dare state that following my last Carnival trip (more like calamity) on the Victory at the end of last year, after not having travelled with Carnival since 1998, I saw a terrible demise in the whole Carnival experience.

These boards should be for people to give their views, both good and bad, so as to help future people who are thinking of cruising.

If it had not been for such boards as these and reviews, we would have ended up in a hotel from hell in Ft. Lauderdale following our cruise. but because I was able to read the reviews, I changed our booking and thank god we did.

The said Hotel we visited whilst in Ft. Lauderdale and knew that the reviewers had been fair and accurate and as a result, we found the most wonderful place to stay.

I think it comes from the fact that some people see their choice of cruiseline, ship, hotel etc., etc as sacrasanct (most probalby misspelt) and if anybody else dares offers criticism, they take it as a personal slight.

It is not about that, it is for people to be able to share their own experiences to help others.

I will NEVER travel with Carnival again and am now rather worried about trying Princess as I have read that they are becoming Carnivalised!!!!!

Obviously the cruise business is now very lucrative and competition is fierce with all the cruiselines trying to make as much as possible money out of you as possible, but why make it so obvious to the guest that all they want is your hard-earned money for as little in return as possible.

Again, well done for standing up for yourself and making your views known. Those of us who want honesty will take note.whilst many will just go with the flow.

Regards,
KG
aka Maureen
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:31 AM
First Mate

To MB and all others who have posted negative comments about Dawn Princess, I have heard your message and cancelled a cruise on Dawn Princess. My reasons for cancellation have nothing to do with shorter port times or possible mechanical difficulties, however. I simply do not want to be on any cruise where a group of passengers predisposed towards negativity might orchestrate a complaint and letter writing campaign while on board, or at least will spend their ten days trying to convince others how terrible the cruise might be.

I find it interesting that the OP reports that passengers expressed "extreme outrage and unhappiness". Unhappiness is appropriate for a fallen souffle, extreme outrage is something I reserve for those who would take out their frustrations on helpless crew members trying to do their best regardless of the circumstances.

Old January 11th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: WARNINGS TO FUTURE DAWN PRINCESS PASSENGERS

Thank you kimmie girl, I appreciate your comments. As i have said . this isnt a bashing contest, its a site supposedly to express candid opinions and reviews so future travelers will have as much feedback as possible to make the most educated decision, based on the information provided by others. I hope that in the future when you travel. you will be able to give an honest appraisal of your trip and not have to worry that if you dont intend to provide the most positive review, that this wont inhibit you from saying things as you really see them. You are right it is a cutthroat business, and due to over expansion, if lines dont cut back on costs or increase prices, they will have a hard time remaining profitable since so many companies , ships now compete for same market .
Old January 11th, 2005, 10:20 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: WARNINGS TO FUTURE DAWN PRINCESS PASSENGERS

Hi MB,

No probs.

Yes and the cutthroat business is at the expense of the consumer, i.e. the passenger and not the cruiseline.

Obviously, the ships still have to set sail even if not full and I don;t know if each ship has to compete to get the best weekly/monthly profits and therefore crew rewarded appropriately but if that is the case, on service alone The Victory would fare very badly.

I have been reading another passenger's review of his 'ordeal' (his words, not mine) on the Victory on the cruise addicts website and it makes for astounding reading. He travelled 2 weeks prior to us and I can relate and agree with everthing he has written.

Obvously a real problem with that ship and I truly hope not a reflection on Carnival as a whole but I would be very loathe to take the risk now.

Princess used to be seen as very 'upmarket' over here in the UK when it used to be under the P & O line. I understand that Carnival have bought out the P & O line and as a result Princess fall within their domain.

As to the 'real' P & O ships, i.e. Oriana, Arcadia, Adonia etc, these are still sailed under the P & O emblem and therefore equates to quality cruising over here. I hope this remains so for a long time.

Yes you are right, cruising has become a mega growth leisure market and it does not always prove to be the best deal for the consumer. Cheapness does not necessarily mean great value for money, i.e. bad food, service, general lethargy amongst the crew, uncleanliness equals a bad experience in my book and if like me, you spend 14 months without a holiday, you want more than that when you eventually get away.

Thanks for being upfront and saying it how it is.

REgards,
KG
Old January 11th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Ernie

MB: I understand your concerns about Princess. Actually, Princess and Celebrity are both rated Five Star, check it out. There are problems will all cruise lines, if you look for them. You can find good and bad in everything, that's why we are given a choice. You take your choice and you take a chance...Perhaps you might be more content if you did not cruise?
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: WARNINGS TO FUTURE DAWN PRINCESS PASSENGERS

MB:
As one who was also on this cruise, and had a fine time, I would like to make a suggestion.
Please list in detail the problems and complaints that you and others had, using specifics. Perhaps that way others can better decide if they would like to cruise this ship themselves.
My main beef was with the quality of food in the buffet. I found the meats at breakfast of a poor quality compared to those served at the dining room breakfast. I also found little in the way of hot foods at lunch in the buffet to eat, but there were exceptions,and some were delicious.
As I said earlier, the dinners were mainly excellent, with outstanding service. The Sterling Steakhouse was also excellent. Food at the pool was tasty, and room service was quick and hot.
Like you I was somewhat unhappy with the 2 cancelled ports. PC was obviously an act of nature that could not be helped. Ilsa Margarita would be an area I would like explained, as no actual reason was given that I could understand. "Operational difficulties" is a tad vague!!
However, I talked with 2 English women who did go to IM, with another line. The felt very unsafe, being followed several times by strangers, and said the would have stayed on the ship had they known what their experience would have been like.
Anyway, please list actual problems and let others make up their minds.

Regards, Carl
Old January 11th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WARNINGS TO FUTURE DAWN PRINCESS PASSEN

With regards to carls comments, i will express my concerns and those of others on the dawn princess: 1) port changes and carnival/princess not leveling with customers before and during cruise unless pushed hard by passengers, in fact many crew members didnt know reasons for port changes and they worked on the ship. In some cases passengers on ship, still werent given truthful answers. 2) ship got into curacao late and left dominica early due to generator problem on one of the engines requiring slower speeds to reach next port. this problem was suppose to have been corrected in drydock when ship was 3 weeks out of service but wasnt. 3) every future itinerary on dawn for forseeable future , will probably have to be modified at last minute due to engine/generator problems , so people hoping for certain ports may face disappointment. 4) princess cay- no one is sure when and if this island, really a beachfront will ever be fixed or ready again. 5) due to ship engine/generator problems , the ship will continue to bounce and pull from side to side up and down for forseeable future. my cruise almost entire trip was rockier than it should have been. Other ships in same area at ports visited indicated voyage was as smooth as silk on board. ( to be continued)
Old January 11th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WARNINGS TO FUTURE DAWN PRINCESS PA

MB.
I do agree about the late arrival in Curacao, as we got there at almost 1:00 PM. However, this was due to the strong winds and rough seas we experienced all the way fro FLL, in my opinion. A similar DP cruise a few weeks before actually arrived in Curacao at 9: AM, three hours AHEAD of schedule. We we cruising at about 18-19 knots, according to info on the TV in my cabin. And the seas showed 4-7 feet as well from the same source.
I agree it was a rough trip as far as the ride went, but I notice on another thread that passangers on the Grand the same week had rough seas, so to attribute it to the engine may not be correct.
The Dominica visit lasted from 7-2, or 7 hours. The original was from 9-5, I believe, so we lost an hour. Our group had a nice tour of the island, although the tree top tour was not included.
If memory serves me, we lost a total of 3 scheduled port hours,due to "operational difficulties". I , too, would have preferred a more open communication from Princess, but the 100 PP credit did help somewhat.

And for Princess Cay, noone was happy it was skipped, but due to the hurricane damage I feel all understand the missing of it. Could have gone to San Juan, maybe, but I don't know how simple it is to get into another port .

Anyway, I think it's important this is discussed, , as Princess certainly needs a lesson in customer communications if nothing else. Hopefully it will be better for the next passangers.

Carl
Old January 11th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Lancet

To MB

To validate your original comments, You are the one that brought up your being an executive in in the cruise industry; and when you were called on the poor grammar and spelling by a subsequent post, YOU brought up that you were a graduate of Harvard. So I feel I have the right to address those comments.

Please re-read my post. I never said you were not telling the truth, nor did I say you were. I distinctly said your post maybe accurate and legitimate. I was not in position to judge the accuracy. BUT the tone of your first post (which has toned down in subsequent posts) was rancorous to say the least; thus became suspicious.

If you will note, I also agreed with you about Carnival, and the dangers of Princess becoming "Carnivalized", so I was not argueing with you, but rather suggesting that readers should check further before taking action; based on your post. Apparently other posts at other sites verified your complaints; which is what I was suggesting readers of this thread do to check out your post.

It is unfortunate that readers do not fully read one's comments, but react viscerally to
parts of the text only. This is a problem in life in general, and seen here.

Lancet
Old January 11th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carl, I agree lack of communications on carnivals part, made this situation worse then it should have been,. Per my info, the fastest the ship could go was 17.8 knots instead of 21. 5 cruising and 22.5 maximum, and the port time in dominica was 7-5 originally, which meant we arrived before shops opened and if you took a shore excusrson had little time else, whether u felt town was much to see or not , but still dominica for most people is untraveled territory unlike frequent cruiers to say st thomas. Curacao was unfortunate due to late arrival especially on sunday when everything was basically closed. In other areas of disappointment , I felt there wasnt enough activities especially during the day for so many added sea days, other than carnivals revenue producing bingo, horse racing and art auctions. even the movies they showed were only a half dozen or so for 10 days and they had to be repeated several of them. They did not basically have lectures, special activities, other than traditional port/shoping info. At night the entertainment to me was so poor and limited they very rarely had night movies, and the singer Cherry had to do 3 shows on one cruise! and I felt that cherry , murray the magician and some of the others were amateurish, similar to carnival entertainment. I felt the food at night in the evenings in the horizon court after say 10 pm was very poor quality dried out and not very appetizing. i thought the service upstairs in the horizon court was pathetic, no one helped assist you and basically they just stood around and u had to clean the tables urself. the pool games were poorly handled , the activites at poolside were very few and poorly organized. i felt the elevators were not working well or basically useless, most of the time people ended up walking. They did not provide many special amenities or activities for past captain circles members, no back stage tour, etc, just customary cocktail party. i felt a lot of the staff was not very friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. the whole quality to me just seemed to be lacking. i just felt based on comparable cruises by princess in the past, the pople , staff on this ship was basically just going through the motions. The smell in the vista lounge there for ages, still wasnt resolved after 3 weeks in drydock. i could go on, but i just feel that it wasnt at a level that most people thought it should be and I wish it was different, i would have certainly preferred a more positive experience , and would have much preferred to write a much more positive and favorable review.
Old January 11th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carl, also wanted to mention $100 didnt sit well with most people after they found out that on previous dawn princess cruises in oct and nov, dec 2004, people were first given $200 per person than $150 per person for same itinerary changes, and they were notifed around sept 28th, of port changes, not like we were on or around dec 15th. they had the option to cancel wo penalty or travel knowing far in advance of port changes with additional compensation.
Old January 11th, 2005, 05:35 PM
debsavas

I agree with alot of this review. I was on the Dawn dec-23-30. Out of 10, my husband and I rate it a 6. It was our first Princess cruise. We have done RCCL and a Carnival sruise in the past.

The ship was pretty and nicely decorated for Christmas. We were first on and Went to our rooms to find out about lunch. Patters said open at noon in dining room or the buffet. At noon we went to the dining room. We were turned awayand told they had a limited menu. We said that was ok but they still said they were not open yet and to go upstairs. We did at 12:15. Buffet was still closed for whatever reason. They said to go down to dining room. Turned around again. 12:25 now. Go back to dining room and they tell us again they are not open. We tell them we were just told to go there. They tell us they will be open for lunch tomorrrow. Back up to the buffet! I did not care for the food the whole week in the buffet. Breakfast was ok but often cold and I just did not like lunch. Dinners were just ok or average. We were dissapointed. We had heard the food on Princess was sooooo good and we found the opposite. I did love Sterling Steakhouse. Very good. Let me say that I am a good cook and like foods with seasoning. So this is my personal opinion and others may find this food wonderful.(After the first experience with the crew in the dining room, we found them to be fine, just scared us a liitle that first meal)

Room- Fine. We had a balcony for the first time. We did not use it. We had cancelled ports. only two port days instead of four. Rough seas on two days. We got to Caymen Island and then were turned away. Also had Princess Cays cancelled. We received no credit except for our port charges. There was alot of angry people in line but I do not think it got them to far. Anyway, the room was clean and Arnold, our stewart was wonderful.

The poster was correct about the motion. We were in the casino alot and even the dealers were telling us they were ill the day we were suppose to stop at the Caymans. i met a woman who had had two sesickness shots and still felt rotten The smell in the Vista Lounge was there. it smelled like puke everytime you entered. Shows wre not great. The impersonator was so bad people were waking out in droves. I heard him on deck tell someone he was booed but he thought it was just kids. The magician was very good and some of the dance numbers were ok.

We enjoyed the art auctions and went to them every day. they had some nice pieces and I bought wo. i went to keep my husband from purchasing( he loves to do this) and instead I was the person who spent the money!

I had high expectations for this cruise. It fell flat for us because of the food and only getting to go to Jamaica and Cozumel. I pick ships for there intineries. I will not say I will never cruise Princess again, but I WILL BE WEARY if I see people complaining about things over and over as has been the case with the Dawn for a while now.

(Quick add- the chair hogs were horrible by the pool. First day I watched 10 chairs with towels on them for3 hours with no one on them at all. This was from 8:30 to 11:30 Very rude.)
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Beginner

Hello to everyone following this post, I got bored and decided to surf and ended up here. I would like to tell my experience on the Dawn 12/3/04.

This was my first cruise with Princess so I went into it with an open mind.
I felt that the embarking process could have been a little more organized, but once they opened the doors things did run smoothly. We got to the pier around 11:30a and we were on the ship in our room by 12:30p . We settled in ( the room was nice, clean, bright and the balcony was nice) and then decided to walk around some and hang out by the pool, we ate at the grill by the pool. Everything was busy because everyone was getting on, getting settled and trying to eat and trying to start their party/vacation. We had PC dining and decided to eat around 8 to 8:30, so we never really had to wait, we did have to wait twice but those were the formal nights. No big deal. The food was good to okay and depending on what was ordered it could be really good. I am a food snob so I did feel that the food could have been better but I just ordered things I knew that would turn out okay. Nothing was so bad one couldn't eat it and if you wanted something else the servers were more than happy to get you something else. Out of 10 nights we had one night of bad service. The Horizon is a buffet, what do you expect? How can anyone make buffet food great? Even the Hyatt has limitations on their buffets. The Sterling Steak house was nice but it was nice because they only had to cook for a small amount of people.
The entertainment is something that I take with a grain of salt, if you want Broadway go to New York City. It's a cruise ship so entertainment is going to be hit or miss, We went to Magnums almost every night for martinis. The bartender, Mait was really nice and very attentive. We went to Jammers and it was hit or miss we just didn't think there were enough partiers on board. Drinks in Jammers were not that great but hey Magnum's right across the way. The wheelhouse was not our scene because they smoked cigars in there, but nice atmosphere. The atruim was very nice and the piano player was good and he had a personality. I thought the Vista lounge smelled like puke, but it seemed to fade like most oders do the longer you're exposed. We just didn't plan on seeing shows, which was fine with us. We made our own fun and we met new friends to help us have fun.
The elevators everywhere are slow when a lot of people use them, especially old people. Big 5 star hotels have the same problem, We decided to use the stairs most of the time just to save on being frustrated. Plus it's like let the older people that need them use them. I found that one thing that got my goat was how a lot of people don't know to stay to the right when walking the stairs or the hallways. But hey that didn't ruin my cruise.
I enjoyed the pool area the servers weren't too pushy but you could find one if you needed one. I didn't notice too many lounge chair hogs but that wasn't really an issue. I never had trouble finding a chair, and we usually needed around 4. I didn't notice kids being rude, I just noticed them being kids. Darn those kids. I did hear people complain but it's all about attitude, I am such a snob and I was content and that is saying a lot.
I found that if I approached a situation with a good tone of voice and manners I got more help from the crew, it seems that they get really tired of people yelling at them and taking their frustrations out on them. We got whatever we wanted because we were nice and we treated the crew like equals, I think the biggest problem with people on cruises/vacations is that they think they deserve the world and it's everyone else's fault that they aren't satisfied.
Overall I'd say that my cruise was great, I'd sail Princess again and I didn't think anything was so bad that I had to be a bu**hole to anyone.

BTW Carnival owns Cunard and I don't hear anyone bashing that line, I was under the impression from my TA that things would run just as they always have. Just like people companies that offer service have bad days, and it's all in how you react to a situation.
J.
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Beginner

I'm sorry I forgot to mention the shortened port stops, the first rule is to never depend on things like excursions that aren't planned through the cruise line. It's the chance you take. We had shortened ports but the ship was so nice and clean and relaxing that it didn't really matter what we ended up doing. If I took kids or depended on a excursion I'd spend the extra money and book through thru the ship.
And as for not being advised of port changes that is the fault of your TA or if you book online. My TA called me as soon as he found out about the changes. And read the small print on your contract, the cruiseline doesn't owe you anything not even an explanation. I just think most of you complainers need to check your attitude at the pier.
J.
Old January 12th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Admiral

It's interesting to me as to how a ships problems makes people think that Princess is being Carnivalized. I've been on Carnival 10 times, Princess 32 times (most recently last week) and really see no change. The change is in the perception that people have (many who hate Carnival - btw I'm not a huge fan of Carnival) and Princess is 'doomed' since Carnival has taken over.

What about Cunard? Princess is now managing them? They are owned by Carnival?
Old January 12th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Beginner

Can someone please explain to me how the cruise company is responsible for discomfort due to rough seas???..This sailing had 3 days of rough seas and very strong winds and it was bumpy. Mylast cruise on RCCL on the Radiance had very rough seas out of San Juan, and no one blamed the company. We ARE on a boat, and none of them have the ability to flatten the water!!
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Responses to CRUISEAHOLIC and BRRGRR , First of all when officers on princess ships like the dawn that i was just on and the caribbean princess i traveled on a few months earlier, confided to me, and many others in private, while i was on the ship with them, that they and other crew members saw SIGNIFICANT ADVERSE CHANGES on their ships since carnival became involved in the operations, then obviously there is some credence to the general belief of slippage of princess ships under carnival. From my exp and many people who have traveled on princess many years ago before the change of ownership, a large majority has seen and admitted publically how the line isnt the same anymore. With regard to cunard, I think if you speak to a cross segment of past cruisers on the new qm2 , they will have at best mixed reviews of the ship, another carnival involvement. With regard to the ships bouncing and swaying from side to side constantly for the 10 days i was on the dawn, the seas were only one reason for the movement, the ship itself as previously explained, suffers from problems to one of the engines generators causing an imbalance in the propulsion on one side of the ship creating instability. Some of the guests that traveled on the dawn on my cruise, were retired naval officers, and they saw and recognized the problems and conditions immediately.There were days when the seas were calm and the ship continued to rock anyways. Regarding the radiance, ships are affected by the seas condition certainly, but the dawns instability was also and mostly affected by its operating condition and not solely beacuse of the weather. Also Im glad for your sake you havent noticed any diff with the line, since Carnival bought them, since In your case you dont feel like you werent getting the full value for your vacation, and therefore werent disatisfied, like many others have been since the change in ownership.
Old January 12th, 2005, 11:28 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: WARNINGS TO FUTURE DAWN PRINCESS PASSENGERS

Hi,

The change in ownership is a concern to many devoted Cunard, P & O cruisers I can assure you.

Many british people will only cruise on these owned ships, i.e. QM2, QE2, Oriana, Aurora etc and may only use them for transatlantic crossings rather than pure cruising (i.e. island hopping etc).

They are still viewed as the more traditional 'mainstream' of cruising with top-class service, cuisine, opulance etc. which many British and U.S. citizens still hanker for.

There have been many problems with the QM2 obviously some nothing to do with the ownership and just yesterday big problems with the Aurora with many passengers 'doing their pieces' so to speak. Apparently some passengers have paid up to 42,000 for a worldwide cruise and the ship got as far as the Isle of Wight from Southampton due to operational failure etc.

Carnival Corp. (rather than the Carnival Fun Ships) are obviously aiming to own the greatest majority of all cruiseliners (if not all) and that would be very bad news for the consumer. I am sure they are aiming to make more cruiselines and ships, i.e. Princess is only the thin edge of the wedge) into family, fun cruising as they now know that many people can now afford this type of cruising and therefore it is available to so much more of the populas. However, as I have said, so called cheap cruising does not mean it is value for money or worthwhile. There is a real danger of this type of cruising just becoming 'basic' and meeting people's 'basic' requirements.

I am sure that Carnival Corp will realise that there is still (and will continue to be ) a great need for the top-class end of cruising and hopefully keep Cunard and P & O in that league. People like to have a choice and many are prepared to pay highly for it. The transatlantic ships need to be of high class to keep the passengers happy whilst at sea for 6 days. However, there has been alot of bad press about ships under these umbrellas of late and I only hope it is not down to the new owners.

I think what Carnival are doing with Princess etc is just making available as many ships as possible to accommodate the fun ship/family cruising market as they see this as the growing market and I am sure they will still retain the traditional flagships of Cunard and P & O range to cover the more affluent pocket.

Of course, if all ships become more like Carnival Funship type cruises it will detract from the thinking that cruising is stuffy and for the old generation.

I think they should keep it to a fair choice for all, Carnival Funships for those who want that, more elegant cruising for couples, honeymooners, babyboomers etc for those who want that (like Sandals at sea) and for those who really want the more old fashioned high elegance and opulence, then the Cunard flag.

I just hope this happens and we dont just become a two-tier cruising society for the cheap and dare I say low budget market and the high budget market. There must also be a middle market on offer as well for those of us who don;t want the others.

REgards,
KG
Old January 12th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Beginner

I would like to say very few things are as they were several years ago. It isn't just Carnival taking over Princess. It's everywhere. Sorry.

I did notice at night while sleeping a very noticable rocking, but since it was dark and night I just didn't think much about it. Now thinking about it, I did notice it a few times, but I know nothing about how the engines work so I didn't know I needed to notice the rocking of the ship. None of my friends said they noticed any unusual rocking. That doesn't mean there wasn't a problem.
Old January 12th, 2005, 12:00 PM
First Mate

"With regard to the ships bouncing and swaying from side to side constantly for the 10 days i was on the dawn, the seas were only one reason for the movement, the ship itself as previously explained, suffers from problems to one of the engines generators causing an imbalance in the propulsion on one side of the ship creating instability. Some of the guests that traveled on the dawn on my cruise, were retired naval officers, and they saw and recognized the problems and conditions immediately."

I would agree with this assessment if the propulsion system on the ship were a conventional shaft drive arrangement. In fact, the engines on the ship power generators, which are connected to a bus system and distributed accordingly. Electrical power is fed to electric motors that drive the propellers. At any given time, one of the four engines is usually down for services, therefore an efficient cross-connect system is used to distribute power evenly.

There is no mechanical connection between the power units and propulsion system. The above quote is made in ignorance of the mechanical and electrical systems used aboard ship. There cannot be an imbalance for the reasons noted.

Old January 12th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'll pipe in here with a couple of general thoughts.

First off...unfortunately I think NONE of the mass market cruise lines are consistant throughout their fleets. At times they all have a ship, or two, that they seem to struggle with, whether because of mechanical difficulties, or staff changes aboard, it does happen.

Honestly, I think Carnival's purchase of Princess has has a minimal impact on the Princess product. I last sailed Princess, just a few months ago (August), on the Diamond Princess... enjoyed the ship alot... and felt it was noticably offering a "Princess product", not any "carnivalized version".

The Dawn did have mechanical problems, as it was dry docked recently to make repairs. It seems quite likely, from what I have heard, that the remedy was not effective.
Hopefully they'll be able to figure out a fix, and get the mechanical issues dealt with, and get this ship back on track.

I don't think the problems the Dawn is going through say anything at all about the rest of the Princess fleet.

One other thing I'd like to comment on is the different stories the staff onboard tell about various situations. It is notoriously unreliable!! The "rumor mills" on ships are legendary.... and most crew members onboard know very little about the actual operations, and what they do know gets convoluted in the telling from one crew member to the next.

One should also keep in mind that the OP was on a holiday sailing, for which passengers payed a considerable premium. I think on these sailings (and I've been on a few) because of the premium payed, passengers can be much more demanding, and have higher expectations.

That is NOT to say passengers didn't experience problems, but they are likely accentuated because of the high expectations.

Old January 12th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Passenger

I will be sailing on the Dawn 18/02/05 and have been reading the posts. I contacted my TA and had her contact PC, they assured her that the Dawn is running smoothly and that there are no port changes. As I no longer have control over the situation thus far, I will cross my fingers and hope for the best.
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wild on, princess is lying, they have no idea when the ship will be operating at 100% and what itinerary they will do from cruise to cruise until rt before they are scheduled to leave. However, on that note, I hope your experience is much better than others have had. Good Luck
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:41 AM
queenL

I agree with some of what MB says. I was on the same New Year's sailing with him/her.

The Dawn was certainly not the best ship I have ever sailed on, but I wasn't as put off by the experience as the previous poster. (For those interested, I wrote a detailed review a few posts above this one.)

The things that MB mentioned that I could also verifty:

-Rocky sailing- the first few days at sea we really were rocking more than I've experienced in quite some time. I am not sure whether that was attributed to the weather or the ship but it did happen.

-Elevator trouble- we used the stairs mostly but I did notice that there was one elevator they always seemed to be repairing

-Shows were amateurish. I thought the shows were lacking also when compared to other lines. Just my personal opinion, though. I traveled with a party of six and one of my friends made the comment (while watching the show on the first formal night), "this looks like something you'd see in a high school performance".

-Limited activities- Yes! Again, when compared to other lines, there were quite a few down periods when there weren't many choices available.

- Better ship alternatives. I enjoyed my cruise but it by no means was my best cruise.

-Frustration with the itinerary- Absolutely! It sucked big time for us to have those changes made on such short notice.

I wasn't aware of the 900 pp petition, however, I did overhear quite a few unhappy guests.
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:55 PM
mike f

this is all terrible to hear as wife and I just got back from a cruise on the sun princess which is dawns sister ship and the sun was just super!!!!!!!!!!! could not have been better in every aspect!!!
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Mike, you picked the rt ship, sun was in good condition, went to ports originally slated to go to, even went to alternavtive port nassau instead of princess cay. . glad things worked out for you and ur family
Old January 14th, 2005, 02:32 PM
First Mate

>We sat down for one of the shows and lasted only about five minutes. Beautiful costumes, but appeared to be lip-synching to broadway tunes.<

We took the back stage tour on the Island Princess and asked about lip-synching. It is true that the back up singing is lip-synched as it would be difficult to sing like that during the dance routines. However, they claim the individual vocalists (there were 4 on our cruise) were live.

The worse job of synching that I recall was on an Alaskan cruise long ago when they had the tap dancing sounds on tape rather than being live.
Frank-in-CA
Old January 15th, 2005, 02:35 PM
First Mate

One other comment about telling the truth:

We took the Island Princess on the recent holiday cruise from LA to Hawaii and back that left on December 20th. We were late in leaving and the official announcement given was that the refueling process took longer than expected and that we'd leave as soon as that was done. About an hour or so after our scheduled departure, a bus load of travelers arrived - we watched them unload and board from our balcony. The real reason the ship left late was a problem with flight connections. And it was the right thing to do as we has 5 days to make up any time. Most likely Princess would have been left holding the bag if they had to fly these folks to Hawaii and board them until the ship arrived there.

Why not just tell us the truth? It was obvious no refueling was going on and they couldn't hide these late boarding passengers. When they do something like this, why would Princess think we'd believe the other stories they tell us?
Frank-in-CA