Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: WARNINGS TO FUTURE DAWN PRINCESS PASSENGERS

After reading all of these postings, it has occurred to me that this was an expensive lesson for MB and kimmiegirl to learn. From now on, I know they will be sailing on Crystal, or perhaps some smaller yacht like ships not owned by Carnival. It will be interesting to read their reviews of same.
I would like to add that we have missed ports on HAL (Cayman's twice, because of the wind) and on RCI. We have never been compensated for same, as it says in our cruise contract that the Captain has the final say on ports. We never expected to be compensated. We also lost fresh water on an HAL ship years ago, pre Carnival, and you haven't lived until you've had salty lemonade! We have sailed on Princess before and after it was acquired by Carnival, and to tell the truth, we haven't noticed a big difference. Some ships have better buffets than others, some have better dining rooms. We've had good and disappointing expereinces on HAL, RCI and Princess, but all in all, we've had a great time, and we are still cruising. We are grateful that we can afford to cruise on any line. We have not been on Celebrity, but it sounds, from MB's postings, as if Celebrity must be the equal of Crystal, and I hope that some day we can afford to sail on same.
I would love to know which cruiseline MB was an executive on. Which division was he an executive of........it must have had something to do with the mechanical operation of the ships, as he has provided such a detailed accounting of what was wrong with the Dawn. He could tell us how that line handled problems with their ships, and we would then be able to know which line to choose.

Old January 15th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Admiral

I haven't sailed on Crystal but from everything I have heard, they are a step above Celebrity and the fares show it.

As for MB and his ranting and raving....if he, as he says, was a cruise line executive, I'd think that he would be familiar with the contract (on all lines) and know that no ports are guaranteed.

I personnally IMHO think people who are sailing on the Dawn Princess since it's dry dock are finding things to complain in the attempt to get something for nothing.
Old January 15th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: WARNINGS TO FUTURE DAWN PRINCESS PASSENGERS

Just for CRUISEAHOLICS information, this isnt about what cruise lines I have worked for, or about the right of cruise lines to deter from prescibed ports. This is simply my belief based on previous sailings and experience as a passenger and as an employee in the cruise industry, that the way carnival runs its operations and policies with regard to the Dawn princess leaves a lot to be desired. Plain and simple, the ship has suffered from some engine situation since approximately april 2004, and from that time to the present , currently with a engine generator issue, has just failed to be totally candid and upfront wtih previous and currently booked passengers. These " operational issues", as princess tends to call them, impact on the itinerary and nature of the cruise that people had booked. Of course itineraries change, but notice of these are brought to the passengers attention in "acts of nature" situations, so I believe they should be brought to passengers attentions as well when they are known beforehand that issues relate to "non act of god" situations, and let the passengers make the decision if they wish to continue on the cruise or should have the option to cancel to get a refund or a change the date or change the ship. I do not understand why you are so much on the side of carnival as opposed to the rights and choices that their customers should have, based on this atypical situation, which has impacted dawn princess guests for quite a few months now.
Old January 16th, 2005, 11:57 AM
debsavas

I did not love my Dawn experience at Christmas but I am not asking for "something for nothing". I just stated my opinion. DO what with it you want.
Old January 16th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Beginner

Debsavas, I was on the Jan 30th cruise, and my main complaint was the buffet. The evening meals were very good, in my opinion. I DO wish they would season things more, but I accept the fact that not everyone likes food with the spice level I do. But as far as the missed ports due to rough seas, how in the name of anyone can ANY cruise company be responsible for that? I agree it affects the quality of the experience, but in that case one shouldn't cruise if we only expect perfect seas. It's like a ski vacation, where it rains....you can't blame anyone, and that's the drift I am getting from many of these postsThe in-cabin TV reported what I recall were moderate gale force winds the first 3 days we were out, so I expected rough seas.

Anyway, just my thoughts...I had a great vacation, sorry yours wasn't up to par.
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:09 AM
debsavas

I am not saying they were responsible. It just was too many days at sea, which then took away from the enjoyment factor. we became bored because there was not enough to do. I did not say I would never cruise with Princess, but I did say I will listen on these boards when people are unhappy when choosing my next ship. But it is human nature when one does not have a great time somewhere, they usually try something different the next time. I only replied with my thoughts because I felt alot of what MB had to say was true and people were blasting him. I am glad your trip was great, mine was ok. I was glad I got away. If i choose to do it again, I will have more realistic expectations as to what to expect from Princess.
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Admiral

I'd have relished the days at sea, especially in the Caribbean - been there, one island looks like the same, just give me the time to relax.

Forget the activities, don't care for the poolside bands, do go to bingo, pool games, etc I find a quiet niche and read.
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:53 PM
First Mate

I also prefer the days at sea and would like a cruise that has one or two sea days between ports. I find enough to do on board and sometimes just enjoy sitting on my balcony, watching the deep blue sea and hearing the ship cut through the waves. I find it very relaxing.

As far as cancelled ports. On all the cruises I've been on, this has happened very seldom. When this did happen though, Princess refunded the small amount that we had paid in fees for that port. As you know, there are port fees quoted in every cruise price. If they don't put into a port, they don't incur the fees and rightfully should refund that amount. But it often doesn't amount to the price of a soft drink.
Frank-in-CA
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Admiral

.....it was written...

...."4) princess cay- no one is sure when and if this island, really a beachfront will ever be fixed or ready again."

Guess someone is sure, I saw a post from someone on the Caribbean Princess that they stopped there this week.
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:58 AM
True Brit

Having just bumped into this thread there are a few comments/questions/observations that I would like to make from over the English side of the Pond!
I read a question re how much compensation if any Princess were making but do not recall seeing an answer. So surely the question stands?
Princess used to be our favourite cruise line but I personally think that standards have dropped since the Carnival takeover. Prior to that takeover I had hoped that RCI and Princess would merge since RCI had the ships and Princess had the staff but it was not to be.
I would not expect MB to disclose his name if for no other reason than most posters do not do so either although I wish he used a spellchecker more!
The reason we cruise is to go somewhere i.e. the ports visited. If this were not the case then we would simply keep going backwards and forwards across the Atlantic (as we have done once) at the cheap prices on offer for such relocation cruises. I would be more than a little annoyed if, due to existing reasons such as underperforming engines, port visits were cancelled or curtailed and would expect compensation from whichever cruise line was concerned. Non pre-existing conditions such as a change in the weather or unexpected engine problems are a different matter entirely and, in common with most others, we have suffered them and received no compensation; as one poster said read your cruise contract.
Would problems with the engines/generators also cause problems with the stabilisers? If so maybe that explains the bouncing and swaying.
If Princess are indeed lying with respect to not disclosing a known problem with the ship which could cause the cruise itinerary not to be adhered to then somebody should sue them for millions of dollars; you can get that for falling over in the street so why not? Come on legal beagles tell me I am wrong!
Overall and to end I was considering a cruise on Dawn later on this year - I now am not!
Cheers. Paul
Old January 18th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

True Brit... Cheerio Anyways when I write something fast and off the top of my head , I do sometimes like everyone else make mistakes, but as I have pointed out before, this is a website for expressing cruise views, not an english class. Furthermore, I agree with a lot of what you said, and with regard to being upfront, i feel that in the long run Carnival will suffer more, than if they were candid to begin with. Regards,
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

Hi TB,

Glad to see another english poster on these boards. Totally agree with you and your comments and also agree that Princess seem to be in decline since coming under Carnival's umbrella.

However, don't post that on the Carnival Forum cos they get very uptight about it. I will say one thing about 'Carnivees', they do stay loyal to their chosen cruiseline and do not take kindly to any criticism, especially if you are english.

I get the distinct impression that we are seen as 'snobs'.

Anyway, pleased to meet you.

REgards,
KG
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM
airvine

A group of 4 of us we on the 12/30 Dawn as well. While we did enjoy the cruise, we laughed a lot , met some wodnerful people. Understand we are all in our early 30's and thought we'd be the young ones on the ship. We made our own fun and truly enjoyed ourselves. Will we be sailing on the Dawn again ? the answer is .... never. We took the rude purser desk service, a disturbing moment in the pizzeria where we were brought a glass with lipstick marks on it and the rushed service in the formal dining room with stride. We were overcharged numerous times in the spa but we managed to brush it all of and still enoy each others company and the ports of call. We too were disappointed in missing Isla Margarita and we were all happy to arrive in our first port after 3 days at sea which were rocky. I wouyld not recommend doign a cruise sponsored excursion we ran into som etrouble in Barbados with a tour provider but were compensated from the ship afterwards. All in all it felt that most of the staff were in training and after we left St thomas we had the impression the staff thought the cruise was over. We still had 2 days to go. We are plannign another cruise and are researching other lines. As always we find these boards helpful with both positve and negative comments.