Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2005, 09:15 AM
suz5

Default star

Just signed up for a cruise on the star princess. I'd love to hear any feedback from travelers who recently sailed on this ship.
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Passenger

Default Re: star

We are going on Star to the Baltic in August. Is that the one you are going on?

Old January 16th, 2005, 11:34 AM
suz5

Default Re: Re: star

no. We are going on the Western Carribean in April!!
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

I will be going on the Star 3 weeks from today for the 2nd time. It's a wonderful ship.
Old January 16th, 2005, 02:17 PM
JMB

Star is a good ship and if you can afford it get a balcony. We were on Baja deck in 602 and enjoyed having a place to sit without going out of room. It was about 5'by 9' and deck below us,Caribe, looked like bigger balconies. You can get room service and eat on balcony. We had 2 chairs and a table. Enjoyed the food and entertainment.. Our cruise was over Christmas and the ship was full. We have been on Holland American 3 times and Royal Caribbean once. We rated Star as a 7 out of 10. ENJOY AND HOPE YOU GET TO GO TO CAYS ISLAND
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Ernie

Clover:
I will be doing two cruises piggyback on the Star starting on September 12th in Copenhagen. First the 10 day Baltic then the 17 day Trans Atlantic. I have sailed on the Star before and it is one of my favorite ships. I much prefer the Grand Class ships because of the space offered and the feeling of not being crowded. You will have a ball on the Star. Have fun and don't eat all the Salmon before I get on board.
Ernie
Old February 5th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Lynne and Trevor

Are you due back in port on Oct.8? We're considering that cruise but haven't found a roll call on it yet. Yes, I could start one, I suppose, as there seems to be one for every date around it. If none is up by the time we decide, it will be my turn to be first! We've enjoyed the Grand Class as well, having been on board the Golden, Grand and Caribbean Princess. I'm glad you all like this ship so well. We're anxious to try one we haven't been on before. Lynne
Old February 9th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Passenger

suz5,

We sailed on the Star from 1-2-05 to 1-9-05. We had a great time. We were on the Lido deck #254 which had an outside balcony. Loved the balcony. If you are getting a balcony make sure you grab your room steward right away and request and chaise lounge.

Embarkation went smoothly, and our bags arrived very shortly after we left. Took about an hour and 15 minutes to get through check in. If you can do as much of the online check in stuff you can. Makes things go a lot quicker.

The pool areas were great. We spent time in the pool at the back of the ship. There's no kids allowed there so it's pretty relaxing. Overall the service was good. We did anytime dining and that worked out pretty well. Food was good. Lots to choose from.
We purchased the coke cups when we got on board and mixed our drinks in them. Purchase liquor from the room service menu. Easier than trying to pack in on the ship and not overly expensive. We bought a bottle of rum and gin and each were only $19 or something like that.

If you are into comedy hopefully they will have Sarge back. He was excellent! He had just returned from Iraq with the USO so he had a hard time getting to the ship, but he did have 2 shows plus the last night he was there as well.

Not sure if this is your first cruise, but it was our first cruise so in case it is here's a couple of things you may want to think about bring along:

If you think you may get seasick, you will want to find Ginger tablets. Forget the Dramamine. Ginger works far better, and doesn't make you sleepy. One of the people we were with, was kinda seasick the second night, and the waiter at the restaurant recommended these Ginger tablets. Within 10 minutes she was feeling great. The other thing you should bring along is a waterproof disposable camera. They are much more expensive on the ship.

Here's an easy thing to help with packing. My wife went out and bought the largest zip lock bags she could find. We rolled our clothing up and put them inside the zip locks. You then close the ziplock almost to the end roll up the bag, and close the zip lock completely. Really makes it easy to pack and in case they check your bags while flying everything isn't messed up. You may already know this, but in case you don't............there it is.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old February 9th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Lynne &Trevor

We are considering the Star for Oct.9, which is the day it arrives back from the transatlantic cruise. Is there actually a cruise that week after that long voyage? I haven't seen a roll call for that date yet. Lynne