Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default ADVISORY FUTURE SUN PRINCESS PASSENGERS

Just for future guest's info, sun princess which arrived back into ft Lauderdale today, Jan 18th, before embarking later this afternoon on next 10 day cruise, reportedly had an incident with sick passengers infected with a gastro intestinal ailment. Approximately 89 guests and 5 crew members were reportedly infected or sick during their 10 day cruise which just ended, as reported by local Ft Lauderdale television station. . Just for your info , when Princess was contacted about the situation aboard the sun princess, they stated that it was just a rumor. So i guess nowadays even if its reported on television and affected passengers make direct on air comments, its still denied. Anyways supposedly ship has and is being sanitized for next cruise out. Hope all will be well for future passengers.
Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Wake

Default Re: ADVISORY FUTURE SUN PRINCESS PASSENGERS

Hello, MB, you must live in Florida. I presume you will not be sailing on Princess again. I have read your thread re the Dawn.
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: ADVISORY FUTURE SUN PRINCESS PASSENGERS

Wake, as a matter of fact, if the itinerary serves my needs and the timing is agreeable, I will sail on other Princess ships, as well as other cruise lines. I try to weigh everything in balance when i make a travel decision. I have been on many princess ships in which i generally enjoyed them for the most part, as you can always find issues or problems if you look close enough. The main complaint about the dawn as you know, was one of not advising me and the other passengers, in a timely and upfront fashion, of the ships true condition and past history and the possibility of continued port changes/cancellations based on their previous sailings over the prior several months. With regard to the rest of the dawn princess product, there were good and bad areas , just unfortunately in my opinion, the bad far outweighted the good. Hopefully carnival will take into account, issues that me and other passengers have expressed with regard to the running of princess in the future, and will take the necessary steps to correct or return the company to what many past princess cruisers felt was once a top quality line. Thank you for your comments.
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Where is the warning to RCI passengers who are 'future' cruisers on the Enchantment of the Seas????
Old January 19th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Dana Cline

>>Just for your info , when Princess was contacted about the situation aboard the sun princess, they stated that it was just a rumor. So i guess nowadays even if its reported on television and affected passengers make direct on air comments, its still denied.

That's misleading and you know it. Or should if you're a cruise industry executive.

All such outbreaks are reported to the CDC, so you can find out the truth at their web site. Another good reference is at www.cruisejunkie.com in the Events At Sea section.

Dana
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Admiral

your post is very misleading. Any type of gastro sickness, even one passenger - if they go to the ship's doctor or even call the doctor is documented and reported to the proper agencies. I would venture to guess that the reporter asked if it was Norwalk,(being very specific about it) and that was the "rumor" that Princess denied. There is a huge difference between a common stomach "bug" and the Norwalk Virus, but that seems to get lost in the headlines. A stomach bug won't make headlines but Norwalk ....................
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:10 AM
First Mate

I can't understand how Princess is to blame. It could be that passengers were infected by the virus (let's call it the 24 hr. bug which is very popular in the winter months our family had it over New Years) if one passenger brings it on it can infect others. Its not fun being sick while on a ship, the close quarters make it even worse. When on ships or public places we have to try to remember simple things, washing hands, covering mouth when coughing or sneezing, try not to spread germs. However, it happens and we can't blame a cruise line that sometimes people carry these germs on board. I know people who had been infected, still insisted they go on their cruise,too late to cancel, and were sick the whole time on board. So to make my point it comes from the passengers!!! Sorry that it happened but blaming any cruise line I don't think so.

Old January 19th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

For additional info, no one on ship is to blame, just wanted people to be aware, just take extra precautions if necessary when eating , whatever on ship. Princess still did not advise several telephone callers, that there was any problem whatsoever on the ship. However, to me if almost 90 people got reportedly sick ,just advise the general public if they call question televised report. I unfortunately have been on several ships where gastro illnesses were passed around and it wasnt a very pleasant experience in the least. As far as enchantment goes, rccl is redesigning portion of ship, adding bungie jump area, adding childrens water play area and expanding bar lounges overlooking pool decks, ship will look very different when completed later this year. Otherwises enchantment is beautiful ship to begin with.
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:05 PM
mks

Just back from the Sun Princess. Docked yesterday. We were informed about the virus . Captain came over the speaker during the dinner hour and told us about it and asked us to please wash our hands often and use only our own bathrooms instead of the ones in the common areas. They were always spraying and washing down. All food was handled by staff wearing gloves. All in all it was a good cruise. Met a lot of nice people. Food could have been better, but I didn't have to prepare it or clean up after so it was fine for us. Thought the ship was very clean and No I didn't sense any smell anywhere on the ship.
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: ADVISORY FUTURE SUN PRINCESS I was on it

I just got off the Sun Princess and our ship did have people sick with the Norwalk Virus. Im 25 years old and went on this cruise with my family. The first day was fine, but the 2nd day of the cruise we could not serve ourselves at the buffet. We could not even touch the salt and pepper or the sweet n low for our ice teas. Later that day we got a letter in our room informing us that some passengers have the Norwalk virus and explained how to prevent it. The Captain also talked about it the next day. It was pretty bad on the ship. The crew was pissed off since they had to do everything for us. It was a big pain not being able to touch anything. Three days into the cruise the cabin across from us got the Norwalk and workers would come in everyday in special protection suits with masks and clean and spray the rooms down. They did that everyday. Also, the entire ship was always being sprayed with some kind of spray. The cabin next to us also got the Norwalk virus and you could hear them flushing the toilet 50 times a day for at least 4 days. We had 4 cabins just in our area with Norwalk virus. The cabin that had it bad next to us was B-224 and B207. In the buffet area, you had to wait a long time for a table until it was sanitized. Their was not enough help since the crew had to get every thing for us. Sometimes you would wait 4 minutes for an ice tea. They also shut down one side for the buffet since their was not much help. So you had longer lines.

My sister heard that if someone vomited in a certain area, that they would quarantine the entire area and everyone inside. So if that happen around us, we would run out like hell. The cabin next to us was not able to go out at all since they had the virus. We saw a lot of doctors going into people rooms so when we saw that we would run away. Not to many people knew what was going on. Or the crew was trying to keep it a secret. A lot of crew members were very rude and treated us like all of us had the plague. I really did not care for this cruise. I did try to make the best of it. I been on Princess 8 times now and now I don't know if I really want to sail on them anymore. Not because of the Norwalk, but because the service was terrible everywhere and just had a lot of rude workers. The two knew girls up in the buffet area were the only nice ones and the dinning room service was so bad that I only went there three times. I got food posing from the dinning room area on the roast beef. Right after I ate the roast beef my stomach started to get sick. For 15 hours I had massive flew like symptoms and was not the Norwalk virus. I did not tell Princess because they would just say it was the Norwalk virus and would lock me and my brother and sister up in the cabin. I looked up food posing symptoms on the Internet and I had all of them. After 15 hours I was perfect.

Something is wrong with princess they really are stating to go down hill. Im not hard to please but this service was pathetic.

The last day of the cruise, My sister asked one the of peruser desk workers if they knew how many people were effected. They did not know how many, but they did say that it was started by a group of passengers that had the Norwalk virus on another ship the week before they came on ours and lied about that they did not have any Norwalk problems before coming on the Sun Princess.

So now I know that at least 89 passengers were sick. Thank god I only got food posing. I felt so sorry for the people in the cabin next to us for all their bathroom problems. It was there first time on Princess and they get the Norwalk virus.

Any information my name is
Brian Lashchuk
Bdadylash@aol.com
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:45 PM
mike f.

Default Re: Re: ADVISORY FUTURE SUN PRINCESS I was on it

I got off a 10 day sun princess cruise on jan 9th and I am here to tell everyone that the crew and ship were all A+ in our book. The entertainment was great. One night we even had anytime seating dinner with one of the cruise directors and she was fabulous. It seems to me from what I feel and now know that some people that cruise alot seem to make it a full time obsession to ***** ***** *****.....So sad it is that way but I feel it is so true. .....Come on people it is real life and anytime we get 3000 people of more in one confined area things like this can happen...deal with it please!!
Old January 19th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: ADVISORY FUTURE SUN PRINCESS I was on it

Mike, Im glad you enjoyed your cruise so much, but you fortunately were not on the ship where dozens of people, {read above} got sick. I have been on several ships and have been affected by viral stomach infections and it certainly creates serious problems for all affected, especially since one of the reasons you come on a ship for is the food. I dont think that people being upset for the way they felt they were being treated or the lack of service that they may have felt occurred, makes people complainers or whiners. If someone experiences an unpleasant situation anywhere and someone else doesnt, it certainly creates different perspectives, and I dont see why people who go through unpleasant situations and express their disatisfaction, should be looked upon less favorably than others who fortunately didnt suffer the same fate. Im sure for what everyone pays nowadays for cruises, everyone would prefer a perfect vacation and , certainly not wish they had any issues to bring up which they feel affected their trip. Regards,
Old January 19th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Am trying to figure out how the Enchantment 're-design' was brought into play, I mentioned the Enchantment because from what I hear, it had to come back from a cruise early the 1st week in January due to Norwalk. Scratch (which I already have) off the list - the nerve, to allow such a virus on a ship.
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I agree with CruiseAholic - did you not see the stories about the Norovirus on the Enchantment? Or, are you so focused on denigrating Princess that you are totally unaware that this has hit other cruise lines as well?

Old January 20th, 2005, 02:38 PM
bushwhacker

Of course it has hit other ships! We are just off the Sun as well. Fortunately, we did not get the Noro Virus. But the ship does have other shortfalls. We had a wonderful cruise, as usual, but the captain was lacking something - knowledge of how to run a ship? A lot of the crew was not happy. Doesn't that say something?
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lisa, of course other ships have problems and are affected in various areas, but this is a princess site isnt it? And with regard to cruise aholics question, I thought he meant the quality of the ship, not about any illnesses aboard. I also thought erroneously obviously, that these boards were for the sole purpose for people to reflect their unbiased , honest, upfront opinions ,comments, whether good or bad, and not have to worry about any negative feedback from others in return. If you only want positive comments, then these site boards serve no purpose and should be dismantled. I am not nor are others denigrating a particular company/ship cause I or they tend to have less than glowing opinions in some instances. I have worked for the cruise /hotel industry and have been on over some 450-500 cruises/ships on some 11 lines and have stayed in countless hotels worldwide, and found many of them to be of high quality and standards, and have written about them in the positive. However, I have also been on a considerable amount which I believe they havent met the standards or dealt with passengers in the way they should and I express that as well... If people like me and others are unable to express candid observations, and are met upon by criticism and downgrading, then I think you dont need to even read these boards, cause you already can only see positive things, and have already made up your mind to begin with.
Old January 21st, 2005, 05:00 AM
Admiral

MB as has been stated, there is nothing unbiased (IMHO) about your posts and if you were 'truely' concerned about letting fugure passengers know an issue about a ship,if the were the case, you'd be doing this on all lines, as they have all experienced it.

As for expressing personal opinion, you do not come across that way, but come across in an 'axe to grind' tone.
Old January 21st, 2005, 06:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well cruise aholic, I had just recently started using these boards to provide my critiques, having done them in travel magazines other trade publications, etc, previously. However with such scathing feedback from my limited reviews so far, I think this will be my last comments on any ships for any lines. Your right many lines , ships, require constructive criticism and praise when detailed in commentary, but based on what I have experienced in expressing my short lived comments, I think I will let others bear the brunt in the future , when they dont provide 100% positive feedback. All lines have good and bad ships, and products so forth, but I will leave the comments to others and let them go through this in the future. Princess/carnival would be very happy to hear from all of you staunch supporters of their product , and know how strongly you defend them, when someone as you and others say try to single them out for negative criticism. If I would have continued to write, eventually you would have seen my addressing all the ships and cruise lines and their good and bad features in my opinion, but I just never had the chance to yet, and now wont anyways. Happy cruising to all of you.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
oceantraveler

Time to go slam RCCL too, they have 250 sick on the Mariner of the Seas.

I'm also disappointed that 1011 self diagnosed himself with food poisoning. It is just as likely he caught the virus but by refusing to see a doctor he probably helped spread the infection around some more.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 06:51 PM

I did not diagnosed myself with food poisoning. I did get it. Norwalk virus last at least 2 full days. I was only sick for 10 hrs. 30min after eating the pot roast. The food was not good at all in the dinning room. My parents heard a few people complain and returning their shrimp for being warm. That's not good!

Don't mess with me oceantraveler. I have been on 24 cruises in the last 12 years and been on Princess 8 times. I know how Princess should be. Im not hard to pleases, but I do expect at least one dam refill of ice tea for dinner and my plates to be cleared after im done in the dinning room. I had the plates in front of me for 10 minutes and the bus boy was just staring at us. One waiter was refusing to let my bother get well done for his meat. The waiter was actually urging with my brother. So my bother just walked out of the restaurant. Another waiter was almost forcing my parents to buy a drink. After saying no twice the waiter said in a snotty manner "you don't know what your missing." My dad said "yah we do!" My dad use to be an alcoholic and all of us don't drink because of that. Every waiter and bus boy sucked in the dining room for anythine dining. I don't spend $900 to be treated like ****! All 5 of us deducted 75% of our tips. Of course, the cabin stuart got extra because he was great. Princess needs to shape up or they are going to loose good passengers that will keep going on them. Im only 25 and I have been on 24 cruises and im not even a travel agent. I have been on Princess 6 times to Alaska and twice with them on the 10 cruise to the Caribbean. So they aren't cheap cruises.

I never put down Princess before. I always use to brag about them and tell people to go on Princess. Now, Im going to tell my story to everyone.

oceantraveler, You were not there, so you can't say anything. I did a lot of research on Norwalk virus and food posing and I had food posing. You don't urinate out super yellow thick urine when you have the Norwalk Virus. You only urinate like that if you have food posing. If I did have the Norwalk virus I would had been sick a lot longer than 10 hours. The people beside us were sick for 4 days going diarrhea 20 times a day.
Oceantraveler, I did not go see the doctor because I know that I did not have the Norwalk virus and the doctors don't know ****. If you are sea sick they will lock you up because they think even thing is the Norwalk virus. And if I did have the Norwalk virus how come my brother and sister did not get sick? If one person has the Norwalk then everyone will get it in your cabin.

Im disappointed in you Ocean traveler.
Brian

Old January 22nd, 2005, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The personal attacks in this thread MUST come to an end.

You can debate positions and opinions is allowed. To just post to challenge other posters opinions and integrity is NOT!!!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 22nd, 2005, 08:52 PM
bushwhacker

Thanks for those words Kuki.

After a dozen Princess cruises, three of them on the Sun, you know that I am a true fan of Princess. This cruise (1/8-1/18) was the pits. The food was terrible. Many of the crew seemed unhappy. The captain was not at all personable. It simply wasn't the Princess we all know and love. Will I cruise Princess again? You can count on it. Will I cruise the Sun again? NEVER!
Old January 23rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
Lancet

I agree with Kuki. These threads have gone from exchange of ideas to one of rancor. Maybe it is a sign of the times, but as Kuki said, should end. Complaints or negative information can be of value, if presented calmly, factually and without broad generalities. Replies in same manner.

I have also sailed on many many cruises, but only twice with Princess. We were on a 30 day cruise with the Sapphire (LA to Sydney). The ship is absolutely beautiful, the food great, and with few exceptions, the service friendly and always helpful. Even though I am a Celebrity fan, I was greatly impressed with the Sapphire, and am booked for the 19 day cruise--Osaka to Seattle.

However, after reading these threads, I am unsure about taking a Carribean cruise with princess, as that is the itinery that seems to have the most complaints. I hope these are aberrations, and Princess is not in decline.

By the way, Wellington port was cancelled due to high winds and heavy seas. No one complained, as we knew safety came first.

Lancet
Old January 23rd, 2005, 06:15 PM
Beginner

I'm new to this board and have read 2 HORRIBLE threads by the same person about different ships...I know that the boards are for good and bad reviews, that's the point of them, but this is nuts!!!
Old January 23rd, 2005, 08:21 PM
oceantraveler

There is no need to get so snippy with me 1011. My spouse is a doctor and you very well could have had a virus that you transmitted to other passengers. There are many types of viruses as well as food poisonings. It was wrong of you to self diagnose yourself.

It is upsetting that you think you are more qualified than a person that spends years in medical school, reasoning like that is exactly why ship illnesses spread so quickly.

I am trying not to attack you personally now like you did me, and one thing about internet travel boards is that you are never sure you are talking to.

I do think this thread has been informative though on how others avoid the ship's doctors even when they are ill.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 09:21 PM

Oceantraveler,
Well whatever I had I know it was not the Norwalk virus. Im sorry that it seemed like I attacked you, in this board it seems like you can't say anything bad. All I know is that Princess is not like it use to be. Even when I was on the Dawn in June up in Alaska it was not as good like it use to be. So that's why im going to try Celebrity. One of my teachers is a cruise agent and she had bad things happen with Princess and her clients so she never sells Princess anymore. She pushes Celebrity. I sure wish that RCCL bought out Princes not Carnival.

Ocean traveler you said that one thing about Internet travel boards is that you never sure who your are talking to? Well, im 25 I live in San Diego ca, I have 15 cat's, live with my family near the beach since it cost $900,000 for a crappie house. I love AVIATION and the American Civil war. I go to school, major in History and I take care of all my parents apartments. I suck in spelling as you can see and Im a big time Civil War buff. I collect all kinds of dug up items from the civil war and love going ghost hunting at Gettysburg. I love flying everywhere a lot of times just for fun. Sometimes I fly to Hawaii and back for the day just to fly. I love to travel except international. Canada is as far as I go besides going on Cruise ships. If you saw me on the ship taking pictures of a Confederate flag on the bow that was me. I love flags of the civil war and take bride in CSA.

Now you know who I am and know a little something about me. Sorry if I got all jumpy.
Brian
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Jessac98 - don't be afraid of going on Princess. I was on the Sun last April and the Coral this November and had a great time on both. Unfortunately, some of the most enlightening threads were removed - in essence they rebutted what was said about the Sun and Princess in general - and more specifically about the qualifications of the poster.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old January 23rd, 2005, 11:38 PM
oceantraveler

Brian, it's okay, no hard feelings. It's just it bothers me when people mention they got sick on a ship and did not get assistance. You may not have had th Norwalk virus but another transferrable illness, just because no one around you became sick doesn't mean you did not have something contageous.

I don't want to bicker about it. Happy travels.

I come from a small town about 2 hours from Gettysburg, visited there about 2 years ago and had some spooky experiences ourselves. I'm sure you know about the Jenny Wade house, during a ghost tour the guide told us of how traveler's video cameras break down when shooting the house. Sure enough, next morning my spouse went to take video of the house and the camera eats our recording tape. That never happened to us before. Then we did the tour and we took a great photo of a light above Jenny Wade's bed. It was downright spooky. We sent the photo into the "Ghosts of Gettysburg" tours. We never had a supernatural experience before and still can't explain it until this day. Gettysburg is a great town, am looking forward to returning as we live on the west coast too now.
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Ernie

Hey People - you are all so uptight...Don't you realize that where ever there is a group of people there will be someone who is not well? This could be anywhere, not just cruise ships. Be aware of your surroundings and take care. This is a Princess site and if you have nothing but bad to say about them, wirte to Princess because most of us just want to hear what is going on, not all the rumors and illnesses. I am glad that MB will be staying home, I got tired of his negative comments. Again, write to Princess, not to the travelers in this area.
I will sail on the Coral in April and again on the Star in Sept. I intend to have a good time and that is all that counts or else I would stay home and mope.
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to paul1

from being in the food service industry for many years and following many food codes I can say most people do not know about food poisoning.95%of your bacteria take from 8-12 hours to gestate.so if you get sick from pot roast at the evening buffet,you can get a midnight snack,have breakfast and then have lunch and then start feeling sick and it could be your pot roast coming out.anyone who eats somthing and gets sick within 30 minutes or so,well you probably just ate something that did not agree with you.