Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2005, 11:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Isn't the Caribbean Princess too big?

Hello

I have a question. I was considering taking a trip on the Caribbean Princess sometime in the future. This past summer I sailed on the Sapphire Princess. I understand that the two ships are very similar in size and shape, but the Caribbean Princess has a whole addition deck of passengers. How is this possible? How does everyone fit in the dining rooms? Or the Horizon Court? While on the Sapphire Princess, there were times when the Horizon Court was EXTREMELY too crowded especially with only one side open. I can't imagine an additional deck of passengers.

Is there something I am missing? I would appreciate any past experiences or information.

Thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:12 AM
Cruizer

Default Re: Isn't the Caribbean Princess too big?

We just did a cruise on the Caribbean Princess during Christmas week. It was a sold out cruise. Even with all of those people and lots of kids, we never had a problem finding a seat in the Horizon Food Court or Caribe Food Court. We were always able to find a seat. Sometimes it may not be your "favorite table" if you happen to like to sit in the same location all of the time, but you should be able to find a table without a problem.

We were also able to find deck chairs, on the top deck, above the pool, every day except one by arriving by 10:00. One day when we were at sea we arrived later and had to take deck chairs toward the back of the ship. None the less, we were able to find chairs, just not in our "favorite" location. It is really no different than going to a high school basketball game, you have to arrive a little early if you want to sit in your favorite seats.

I have read on some message boards that you have to arrive at the Princess Theatre one hour before the show to get a seat. We showed up to all shows approximately 30 minutes before showtime and were always able to get seats in the center of the third through sixth row every time. Sometimes you have to show up a bit earier for the lounge shows to get a seat, but you will always be able to watch the show if you do not mind standing. Really no different than if you went to a bar on land.

I have no idea if my experience is typical, but I do know that it was a sold out cruise and my family did not encounter any "to many people" problems, even at check-in. We all had a great time!! With a little advance planning and once you become familar with the layout of the ship, I think there is no reason that you should not have a great time!!

Bon Voyage!!
Old January 22nd, 2005, 08:39 PM
Passenger

We were on the Caribbean Princess in November and loved it. I think our sailing was sold out and I didn't find it to be crowded. There was usually an empty table at Horizon Court. Loved Movies Under the Stars. Seemed the late shows in the Princess Theatre weren't as crowded as the early.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 07:58 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Isn't the Caribbean Princess too big?

I just returned from cruising on Caribbean Princess. This was my 11th cruise (my first on Princess), and the embarkation, and the disembarkation was the smoothest I have ever been through. We arrived at the pier shortly after 1pm, and wer were in our stateroom before 1:30. I was a little concerned about the number of passengers, but not at any time did it feel there were that many. The ship was so large, and so many areas available, you had plenty of space. It does make it hard if you are looking for someone. We ate in the Island dining room with our private group, and it was lovely, and not crowded. There are so many places to eat.....the steak house and Sabittini's for instance.
Oh, and Princess Cay is now open. The decision was made the day we sailed that that would be our last stop. The weather, however didn't cooperate. We sailed to the island, but there were 15 foot swells, and the captain decided it was too dangerous to tender everyone to the island. He said the water was washing up onto the beach, and it definitely wouldn't be a good day. So, we had an extra day at sea. There was a front which moved the water, and cooled the air temp. So, it wasn't a good day to be out on the deck either. But the cruise overall was great. The staff couldn't be better. I would definitely do Princess again.

Old January 25th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Does anyone else have any input on this?
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:31 PM
davidnnc

We were on CP during the week of Thanksgiving. it was a great time. Had not problems with the crowds. Always plenty of deck chairs, no waiting for anything, plenty of seats at the Horizon Court, you may have to just look around though. We did not even have trouble with personal choice dining, we just showed up and were seated right away, and this was at 6:30 - 7:00. I think the amount of people were handled well.
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Debbie and Jeff

We are leaving to go on the Caribbean princess on February 26th, 2005. We have been on a princess cruise before. We were on the Dawn princess at that time. We loved it so much we thought we would go again. We were concerned about the size of the ship and how crowded it may be. After hearing some of these emails I feel reassured that it won't be an issue. Any great ideas of things to do in St. Marten or St. Thomas???? We want to do inexpensive things that are relaxing. My husband and I were thinking of going to that french beach in St. Marten. Anything we should be warned about??? Let us know. We are so excited to go!!!!
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Desiree Russo

I also heard taking a ferry over to St. John would be a good idea. People say the beach there is beautiful
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Marian

Debbie and Jeff, We were at Megan's Bay the end of October and were pretty disappointed. We had been there 10 years before and couldn't wait to go back. The beach wasn't the same. There were too amny people, the water wasn't clear and blue and it was pretty dirty, both the water and sand. I heard that there are some other beaches in St. Thomas that are just as beautiful as Megan's Bay and there aren't as packed with people. In St. Martin we went to Dawn Beach. It was pretty nice there, some snorkleing spots and a nice beach. We had our 13 year old daughter so we had to steer away from the beaches on the French side.