Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Beginner

Default alcohol

Can I bring alcohol on board. If so, do I put it in my carry on.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Ernie

Default Re: alcohol

Alcohol is usually not allowed to be brought on board any cruise ships, I have been told. It is possible to smuggle some on in plastic bottles but I would put them in the check in luggage, not your carry on. The check in luggage leaves you and goes it own way through the screening process and ends up in your cabin. Your hand carried items go with you and subjet to search with you standing right there. If alcohol is found, they will impound it and give it back to you at the end of the cruise. No big deal, it's just that everything is so costly these days, especially diesel fuel, that the cruise lines want you to buy your booze on board. You could also try to buy some at the first port of call and try bringing it back on board with you. You can purchase full bottles of liquor on board. It is costly but bypasses all the restrictions. When you board, ask at any bar which bar is the one where you can buy full bottles of liquor and they will direct you. It is usually one of the main bars in the Atrium somewhere. You can bring two bottles of wine per person on board in your carry-on.
Good sailing and have a wonderful time...
Ernie (ernie9235@aol.com)
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Captain

In the 15 cruises we have been on, we have always brought our own "refreshments" in our checked baggage. Never had a problem with it being confiscated. Be sure to buy plastic bottles, put the botles in Ziploc bags, and if you have some bubble wrap, use that as well. You don't want to start your cruise by sending all your clothes to the laundry.

Old January 24th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Steve A

On Princess you can bring wine or beer on with out any problems. Either in your check or carry on .
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Captain

Doesn't Princess limit you to two bottles of wine per person when you board? Thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Old January 25th, 2005, 02:42 PM
A.G.

Default Re: Re: alcohol

We put the "good stuff in 10 wine bottles, recorked, security looked at it and said have a nice sail.
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Passenger

Quote: Pootersdad

Doesn't Princess limit you to two bottles of wine per person when you board? Thought I remembered reading that somewhere.

Perhaps you read a recent post where I mentioned a 2 bottle limit.
I don't know where I got that idea from, but Princess' alcohol policy does not mention such a limit (I double checked). Someone here corrected me. Sorry if I caused any confusion.
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Buckland

On our cruise we were told by a sales person in the on board "liquor store" that if we purchaced a bottle there (at less cost than at home) they would hold it until the end of our cruise. We were also told that if we wanted a bottle in our room to have as night caps we could order a bottle through room service at a slightly higher cost. We were also told that if we tried to bring any hard liquor on board from a port that it would be picked up by the scanners and confiscated until the end of our voyage. We were also told that wine was no problem and that if we wanted to we could bring a bottle to the dining room at diner time and have them serve it to us at diner - for a $10 corking fee. Since we purchased three bottles at 6 Euro each it was still not a bad deal. Now here's the fun part. In Kusadesi, when we returned to our ship, the Star Princess, we went through the scanners right at the port entrance where they scanned all our purchases. I noticed that once inside there were a number of stores inside, one of which was a duty-free liquor store. We purchased a gift pack of Jonny Walker Red which consisted of four 26 0z bottles for only 37 Euro. We thought that was too good a deal to pass up and we didn't mind keeping it until we got home. However, when we got to the ship, because we had already been scanned at the port entrance, we didn't get scanned again and walked on board with all our alcoholic purchases. So we had plenty to have as night caps for the rest of our trip. No we only used up one bottle. The others met us back home after being delayed in Amsterdam being mistaken for something untoward as it appeared on their x-ray machines. No need to smuggle, but it is more exciting.
Old January 26th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Princess allows you to bring aboard a reasonable amount of wine or champagne for your own personal consupmption. You can purchase bottles of alcohol and mixers from room service at a decent price (no tax, no duty).
If you bring alcohol aboard in your carry-on and the scanners or security picks it up, it will be taken, logged and returned to your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.