Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Aly612

Default Western caribbean questions?

Do you need a passport for: cozumel, grand cayman, jamaica? Are these all in the same time zone as florida? I want to book some shore excursions that are not through the cruise line and i don't want to miss them or miss my boat after we are finished. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Western caribbean questions?

i have been on all 3 of those ports,. very nice. if you are doing a cruise, you wont need a passport. both jamaica and cayman are easter time, same as florida, cozumel is on central time,same as texas. when are you going? JIM
Old February 11th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Aly612

Default Re: Re: Western caribbean questions?

May 7. 05
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Passenger

While it is true that Cozumel is in a different time zone, you will find that the ship stays on Eastern time. You will be reminded of that several times. Most of the time, shore excursions will be aware of this and work around your arrival and departure date. They are used to dealing with cruise ship.
Anytime we go to Cozumel I rent a car. I let Budget know that we are arriving by ship and they will tell me the times, according to ship time.
Also if You have any questions about Cozumel, Grand Cayman or Jamaica..just ask. I have been to Cozumel 4 times, Grand Cayman - 3 and Jamaica twice. I feel like I am an expert on those ports.

Deena

Sensation 96/99; Fascination 00; Costa Atlantica 01; Fantasy 02;
Sovereign/Seas 02; Victory 03; Glory 9/04; Caribbean Princess 10/05
Old February 12th, 2005, 03:18 AM
explorer05

Be careful about the Cayman Islands. We Caymanians do not recognize daylight savings time. Cayman's time clock does not change. So be aware when you book.
Hope this helps.
Old February 12th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Aly612

Default Re: Re: Western caribbean questions?

Did you do any shore excursions on these ports when you traveled? Did you use the ship or go out on your own? I was thinking of using Shoretrips.com. In cozumel we are suppose to arrive at the port at 8am ( what time is that there) and we wanted to do the royal dolphin swim at 10am. Also we wanted to go to the fun & sun beach party, have you done either of them? We don't really have any plans for cozumel, we were going to maybe rent a car there. I want to go to Dunns River Falls, but i don't know if i should use the ship or shoretrips? I heard that jamaica was a little unsafe. Any info would help and be greatly appreciated.
Old February 12th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Cruisingpeople

Sorry Deena, I have to disagree with you. They do change the ship's clocks during the cruises on both, the Eastern & Western trips. Have done this the first week of Jan., first week of April, last week of August, and first & second weeks of November. Joe
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Princess changes according to the islands. THe time change will be printed in your Princess Patter, they will make an announcement in the evening and you will get a little card in your cabin as a reminder.

Aly - you must book your dolphin swim in Cozumel in advance as they book up very fast and sell -out. For a 10am dolphin swim try to get off the ship as soon as you clear customs, grab your cab and head out to the park
Grand Caymen - book a tour with the Sting Rays - use a local tour operator, again book in advance as they sell-out fast.
Jamaica - book an independant tour we like to use Peat Taylor.
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

The time will change going from Grand Cayman to Cozumel...or wherever you go on the way towards Mexico and than most likely on the way home...It's nice when you go from eastern to central time because it seems like an extra hour gained!...except coming hjome the time will most likely change on your last night...and that kinda stinks...you feel like you lose an hour!

In cozumel definatly walk around the little fake town..It seems touristy--and it is and i hate tourist traps--but you can get pretty good deals bartering and bring cheper stuff home for your friends..lik bracelets and silver..so tehy feel special!
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Dana Cline

Couple of points for you...

Every ship I've been on in the Western Caribbean (Princess, HAL) matches their clocks to the target island the night before - it'll be mentioned in your newsletter. Supposedly the times given in the printed itinerary are based on local time.

Cozumel - By the time you add on a cab, plus the entry fee to Chankanaab Park, plus the Dolphin swim, you're getting pretty close to what the ship sells them for. Might be less hassle to just go with the ship tour. If you need to check internet email, there's a great internet cafe just across the road from the pier. Just go out where the taxis are, cross the road, and it's right there.

Grand Cayman - Highly recommend Stingray City. It's awesome.

Jamaica - It's fairly cheap to take a taxi to Dunn's River Falls, and $10 to get in. If you like to party, take the ship's tour that sends you there on a party boat - that way you can avoid the beggars and get drunk on free rum punch on the return leg.

Shopping - little freeze dried bags of Jablum (Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee) make excellent gifts for friends. Tequila is cheap in Cozumel, rum is cheapest in Grand Cayman.

Dana
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Shelly Spruill

We have booked both with the cruise line and not. Each time we found we could get a better deal with an outside excursion, only because most of the excursions from the boat seem short and expensive. Your concerns about Jamaica may be correct, however, we booked with Barrett Adventures and Carolyn is American and her husband is Jamaican, so she was able to take us about 2.5 hours away to a place called YS Falls under 25 people there total and just as beautiful as Dunns River. We felt very safe with them as our guides.