Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Aly612

Default FORMAL NIGHT FEAR...???

I always read about guys wearing tuxedos, but i never here what the ladies are wearing. If my boyfriend plans on wearing a tux, should i plan on wearing a evening gown? What do most women wear? I don't want to be under or over dressed! Also, how exoensive is it to rent a tux onboard and do you get to keep it for both formal nights?
ANY INFO???? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: FORMAL NIGHT FEAR...???

hi again Aly - if your boyfriend is planning on wearing a tux then yes you should plan on wearing an evening gown or a long dressy skirt with a very dressy silk or sparkly top. Your dress doesn't have to be a "ball gown" unless you want it to be. Now would be the time to by an evening gown as most major department stores still might have some holiday dresses that you could get a great deal on. Most women seem to opt for a simple style gown with a bit of sparkle, my gown (for example) is a dark navy blue -straight dress with a low-cut back, criss-cross straps in the back, side slit, the dress is covered with tiny, tiny crystals for a subtle shimmery effect.
Tux rentals on board are for both formal nights (7 day cruise) and a basic tux will start at about $90.00 you will get a basic black tux, with 2 shirts. Cleaning and pressing is included in the price. Your tux will be delivered to your cabin the first formal night..
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Aly612

Default Re: Re: FORMAL NIGHT FEAR...???

thank you for all your great info.
Old February 14th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Aly... Think New Years Eve party at a nice hotel..
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Your boy friend can also wear a dark suit and you can wear a fancy pant suit or cocktail dress ... you'll see a lot of these too.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:49 PM
venice

If you are planning to cruise alot in the future, you might consider having your boyfriend buy a tux from one of your local men''s store outlets. You can purchase a nice basic black with all the 'stuff" for between $150-$200 which means if he rented a tux on the ship twice, it would have paid for itself. However, a black suit works just fine and his tie should have the colors of your dress.

From a male perspective who has been on alot of cruises, women seem to have a wide variety of formal dresses or pantsuits etc that they wear that go just great with anything their husbands/boyfriends have on.

I'm sure whatever you choose you will please your boyfriend who will be beaming about how lucky he is to have you on his arm (us men like to watch other men look at our wives and girlfriends on formal night)
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:04 PM
jcruise

Dw wears a cocktail dress that she accessorizes and I wear a tux for formal nights. The second night I wear a white dinner jacket. DW and I really enjoy the formal night atmosphere.

John
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:33 PM
susancruzs

Shop the sales at big dept. stores right now! A long black skirt with a slit, that you can change tops with is easy to pack, won't cost a fortune. Think sparkly tops to go with it and you would be all set!

Susie
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Passenger

We just got back from our cruise on the Carribbean Princess...my husband was planning on renting a tux for the formal nights but never did. We didn't go to the first formal night because it was the night of the Super Bowl, but for the second formal night they told him that he could wear dress pants with a colar shirt (there were quite a few men wearing them). I wore a black dress that I've worn to weddings. Dress attire goes from one extreme to another.
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Shelly Spruill

If you are planning on attending both formal nights, I have a suggestion. My husband did rent the tux and then one eve. I wore a formal gown and on the other night he still wore the tux which comes with 2 shirts and I wore a fancy short dress and both times we fit in great. My 2 boys are going and they will only be wearing dress pants, nice shirt and tie. One cruise we saw some people in jeans and nice shirts, (on Carnival) and no one said a thing and they enjoyed the evening as well and everyone else.