My fiancee and I are seriously considering having our wedding aboard one of the Grand class ships. We sailed on the Grand Princess a few months ago and it was the most romantic vacation we ever had! Does anyone have any experience with weddings aboard these ships that they can share with us?
My husband and I were married aboard the Grand Princess in April 2003 (western caribbean). It was beautiful ! I think it was the best decision we could have made. The price was definately right compared to a traditional wedding. Of course there were little glitches here and there, which is common with all weddings, however, overall it was wonderful.
- a package arrived at our home months before the wedding and discussed every detail such as flowers, songs, etc..
- A rehearsal was arranged prior to the ceremony (the first day on the ship)
- The wedding service was beautiful and well organized
- The photos were very nice but expensive to buy additionals outside of your package. We bought extras (on emotion) and I regret it because they just sit in a box.
- Have some ideas of what poses you would like for photos as I found our photographer was not very creative. I had to suggest black and white, with sunglasses on, etc...
- The photographer was suppose to come to our dinner table later and take photos of the cake but didn't show up.
- Our room steward took my dress for drycleaning and then returned it without the bag around it so my fiance (at the time) saw the dress before the big day. A real dissappointment, I think I cried for an hour !
My best friend has now planned her Princess cruise wedding for September 2005 in Alaska.
I have been to a wedding on Carnival, but never Princess. The event was O.K. I have to say that on this occasion, the ship was docked and the wedding took place before the ship set sail because their were some of us who were not sailing, but who wanted to attend the wedding. You have to be careful with this because you could tell that the room had not been opened for a while and it was a bit damp and there was a faint smell of dampness (mildew) in the room. But nothing that totally took away from the Bride and Groom. I am not sure if that was something normal for Carnival or if it was because the wedding took place so early before departure. Anyway, for the most part, the experiecne was great! Good Luck.
This is me and my husband's first cruise also- Carribean 3/19/05. Can't wait!!!
It was great to read your posting about the wedding, my Fiance Peter and I are getting married on the Star in April this year. We live in the UK and are having to book everything through the Miami office. We have (I hope) booked everything that we wanted, except the video package.
We have been told the ceremony lasts approx. 30 mins. the video is of the ceremony only and they want to charge us $
- Please, any 'tips' about what to ask for
Is the wedding co-ordinater male or female?
Do you get a seperate room to get ready in?
Did you and your partner walk to the chapel together or did you go separately?
I got married on the Grand Princess and the wedding was performed by the Captain and he was Male. The wedding co-ordinator was Female.
I got ready in my parents room and my fiance got ready in our room. There wasn't a room to get ready in that they told me. Just before the wedding there was a coordinator that went to our room to get my fiance and bring him to the chapel and then someone else came and got me a bit later and brought me to the chapel.
One tip... our cruise ship had a web cam in the wedding chapel and we were not told about that until the day before the wedding. We then had to send a quick email to friends and family at home telling them how to go to the princess website, click onto the ship, select the wedding chapel, etc. in order to watch our wedding live. Some people don't check their email everyday so they didn't get the email ahead of time. Plus, we had to pay and arm and a leg to use the cruiseships computer to send the email. I just wish we would have been told ahead of time and been given enough time to show everyone how to watch the wedding live !