Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2005, 03:36 PM
jqschwim

Default Regal Princess vs Diamond Princess

My family is planning to take an Alaska cruise in late July. Our party is me and my wife (ages 47 and 45), our 3 children (ages 13, 11 and 6), and my parents (ages 80 and 73). We have chosen Princess as the cruise line, but the question is which Princess boat would be preferable for us: Regal Princess or Diamond Princess? We'd appreciate any insights into the differences between the boats and the advantages/ disadvantages that each presents. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2005, 03:46 PM
Needlefish

Default Re: Regal Princess vs Diamond Princess

I have only been on the Diamond Princess (just two weeks ago). Loved the ship, the crew, everything. Don't know about the Regal, but can't go wrong with the Diamond !!
Every passenger we talked to on board raved how much they like the ship compared to other cruises.
Old March 1st, 2005, 04:02 PM
m and m

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful Panama Canal cruise on the Regal. The ship is a bit older, but we found it very comfortable and nicer than the gigantic ships. The passengers as a group were older and there were only 5 or 6 children. It may have been the cruise destination, or time of year (school was in session), but the atmosphere was definately geared toward the older generation. One other comment, the food was only mediocre even though it is presented beautifully. Have a great time. We went to Alaska years ago on two Princess cruises. The ship we went on no longer goes there, but the cruise was spectacular. Enjoy!
Old March 1st, 2005, 04:08 PM
SharB

There's quite a difference between Diamond and Regal. I loved them both, but would believe (because of it's size) that there would be more to entertain your children on the Diamond. There is also quite a difference in the cruises. One is round-trip out of Seattle and the other is round-trip out of San Francisco (7 vs 10 days). Regal is our first love, due to her intimate size and ease of finding your way around her. Her less expensive rooms are larger than the newer ships. Diamond is huge!! We took a 10 day cruise on her and didn't see the entire ship. We loved the staff on both ships and the food options. I don't believe Regal has personal choice, but it has a wonderful pizza restaurant and the Horizon buffet becomes a Bistro for elegant dining in the evening.

Shar
Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Have been on both of them and love the Regal too, but also loved the Diamond.

IMHO, with kids, the Diamond may be more suited since she is newer with more things for kids to do.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:38 AM
Admiral

i would agree with the others that the Diamond would be the way to go with the kids. So much more for them to do and more kids to meet on the bigger ships.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:23 AM
Frank B.

Been on the Regal and the Star, among other Princess ships. No question, take the Diamond. I will never sail the Regal again. Very poor design, problems with the dining rooms , less dinin g options, etc etc.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Feingold

I'd vote for the Diamond. My daughters (19 and 13 at the time) went with their mother on the Regal a few years ago, and weren't that crazy about the ship. I am taking both of them on the Sapphire (sister ship to the Diamond) to Alaska this summer.

I was on the Diamond this past December, and it's one of my favorite ships.
Old March 4th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Ernie

The Regal was built in the early 90's and is a fine ship. The Diamond is huge and fantastic. I have sailed on both. I will be on the Regal to Alaska out of San Francisco on July 27th, and if you decide on the 10 day, I will see you there. Kids will be kids and they will find lots of neat things to do on either ship, but the Diamond does have a bit more to offer them. Ernie ernie9235@aol.com
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:52 PM
swne

I haven't been on the Diamond but have cruised the Regal. I had a great cruise on the Regal but was dissappointed in the amount of open deck area, something you would definately want on the Alaskan cruise.