Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2005, 08:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Princess Art Auctions

Just a friendly warning to everyone...

I purchased a limited edition print from the art auction on our Grand Princess cruise on January 29th. For those who haven't done this before, if you bid on a framed piece of art, they guarantee that they will ship in to your home, reframed, in the IDENTICAL frame and matting you originally bid on.

I just got my print yesterday via courier and the frame and matting is not the same at all. The one I bid on had white double matting and a glossy black frame with some detail and relief to it. The one I received had black single matting and a plain matte black frame with no detail at all. Having worked in custom framing in the past, I can safely estimate the difference in framing costs to be anywhere from $100-$200.

Luckily, I was quite excited about my purchase on board and took photos of my print while still on the ship. I have several shots which show the detail of the frame and matting. At least this way I have something concrete to show Global Fine Arts when I request my proper frame and matting.

I called Princess last night and they gave me the name of the gallery which they use to ship art and the manager's name. They were quite helpful and polite.

I will post again to let you know how it turns out, but I wanted to advise everyone who purchases art to take photos of what you bid on so you can have something to back yourself up with if you don't get what you paid for.

I bought a fairly unexpensive piece compared to some of the other bidders. I would hate to think someone would be paying $10,000 + on a piece of art and have it arrive in a cheaper frame with no recourse to get this corrected!

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Ernie

Default Re: Princess Art Auctions

I bought an original Alicia Quaini on the Sapphire. It arrived at my home in six weeks with a new frame and it is identical to the one it was in on the ship. I am delighted. I love the art auctions and have a lot of fun. Will I go again? You bet... Will I buy again? I will use more restraint next time, I think, but who knows Ernie
ernie9235@aol.com
Old March 4th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Princess Art Auctions

We actually purchased a total of 5 pieces, one was unframed. We have not received them yet but will definitely check the frames and matting. The only problem is we didn't take pictures of them while on the ship. I guess we'll have to go by memory. We really enjoyed the auctions. We had cruised before but never participated. I guess we made up for it on this one!

Island Princess - Hawaii
February 2005

Pacific Princess - Alaska
June 2003
Old March 8th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just a little update...

I've left two messages so far and no call back.... hmmmmm.

Old March 9th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Called again this morning and left another message. Got a call back 1/2 hour later. They appologized for the error and offered me two choices. I can ship the print back to Princess and they'll redo the frame for free, or I can get it done locally (better idea since I'm in Canada), send them the quote and they'll reimburse me for up to $200.

Basically, as long as they stick to their word, I'm quite satisfied with their offer. A good solution to the mistake. Thanks Princess.