CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP!!! New England/Canada Fall Cruise... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/227343-please-help-new-england-canada-fall-cruise.html)

zniedda March 6th, 2005 04:31 PM

PLEASE HELP!!! New England/Canada Fall Cruise...

We are taking our first New Englad/Fall cruise and we have never been to the Northeast and have no idea what is a must-see, etc. We would appreciate any recommendations for the following ports of call:

Halifax, NS
St. Johns, Brunswick
Bar Harbor, ME
Boston, MA
Newport, RI

We are sailing on the Golden Princess out of NY on 10/8.

Thank all of your for your help!

dands March 6th, 2005 06:27 PM

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! New England/Canada Fall Cruise...

Halifax - Peggy's Cove
Newport RI - the mansions and estates
Boston - very historic, lots to see. Old Ironsides, Quincy market, Cheers bar, old church of the north where Paul Revere was warned, and much more.
Bar Harbor - Cadillac mountain and national park is about it.

Enjoy your trip.

LisaK March 7th, 2005 09:33 AM

Newport, RI - tour the mansions & estates. If you have time, wander around the waterfront area, lots of great little shops.
Boston, MA - so much to choose from : Walk the Freedom Trail, take a Duck Boat tour, go to the Museums, visit Quincy Marketplace, Kennedy Library.

Jim and Karon Thompson March 7th, 2005 10:09 AM

In Halifax, see the Citadel and Alexander Kieth's Brewery. In Boston, look into the hop on-hop off trolley. It hits all the hot spots and is about $24.
Jim

April N March 7th, 2005 11:51 AM

Re: Re: PLEASE HELP!!! New England/Canada Fall Cruise...

Thank you all for your recommendations!

andrea hatfield-beaton March 8th, 2005 08:59 PM

I saw your request and I currently reside in Halifax and actually worked as a travel councillor at the Cruise Ship Pavillion in Halifax. Halifax is a wonderful historic city that is very easy to get around in. When you dock in Halifax there is lots of vendors along with the Visitor Information Booth where you can get lots of information, walking maps, guide books and rent a car if you need to. I would recommend walking along the boardwalk as far as Historic Properties and stopping along the way to visit the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic where you will find Titanic wreckage. Nova Scotia also has a very good website Novascotia.com or Halifaxinfo.com I would recommend visiting these sites. I would be happy to answer any more questions you may have. Enjoy your stay in Halifax.

Andrea

crusinsusan March 11th, 2005 09:15 AM

When in Halifax, we walked along the boardwalk, past the Maritime Museum to the Harbour Hopper. It is an open air truck that gives a great tour thru the city and then goes into the water for a wonderful view of the harbor. It cost about $20american $$.
Halifax harbor has much to do and see. Enjoy your cruise.

susancruzs March 11th, 2005 08:39 PM

I absolutely loved Halifax and highly recommend the Maritime Museum, too. We did the "duck" ride and it was great! Good overview of the city and the harbor. We walked the boardwalk and had lunch at a restaurant, overlooking the harbour. We took a cab to the cemetary because we had extra time.

We also took the time to see the display right at the pier, there is a charge but it was well worth it! It was an excellent presentation about the immigrants coming to Canada.
I really would stay right in Halifax as it has so much to offer rather than doing a ship tour that takes you away from Halifax.

Bar Harbor has a great trolley that will take you to the National Park, its great fun and you do not need to book it through the cruise line. We got on just a couple of blocks from the dock area.

I really enjoyed the Vanderbilt estate in Newport but that is not everyone's cup of tea!

Boston has so much, you need to do your homework and see what interests you!

Enjoy! Susie

jessac98 March 13th, 2005 03:13 PM

Boston - Be sure to see Fenway Park, even if it is just from the outside!!!

Charliesmom March 14th, 2005 01:09 PM

In Boston, I would go to see the USS Constitution which is docked in the Charlestown Navy Yard. It is a very interesting look at what being a sailor on a sailing ship was all about in the 19th Century. The ship is still a commissioned vessel of the US Navy.

You can also walk the Freedom Trail. If you go to the Boston Common there is a booth there that gives out information. Walking the trail is free. I think the USS Constitution might be free, too.

If you don't feel like doing the whole Freedom Trail, go to the North End and see Paul Revere's House and the Old North Church. The North End is home to the Italian community and there are lots of good Italian restaurants there.

You can also go to Fanieul Hall which is where people like John Adams and other fathers of our country from Massachusetts gave speeches. You might also want to take in the Quincy Market which also is very close to the North End.

If you are there on a Friday or a Saturday, walk through the open air peddler's market at Haymarket where they sell fruits and vegetables, fish and meat.

Roberta

fla gang March 15th, 2005 06:48 AM

All of the port stops are good, but my clients tell me the Bay of Fundi is really something to see. Take some warm clothes!

Barry

zniedda March 15th, 2005 08:21 AM

Re: Re: PLEASE HELP!!! New England/Canada Fall Cruise...

Wow, what great information! Thank all of you!