Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Rol

Default dinner dress

It has been quite a few years since we have cruised.....just how formal are the evenings? We prefer smart casual but understand on a 7 day cruise two nites are coat and tie required.
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: dinner dress

On the two formal nights you'll likely find ABOUT 30% of the men in tuxedos, 60 % in suits, and 9 % in sports coats and ties, and 1 % in something else covering their underwear <G>

Old March 11th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Admiral

the majority of the the men will be wearing suits, some opt for tuxes, and even fewer go for dress pants, dress shirts/tie and sportsjackets.
For the women you will see Everything from fancy formal ball gowns to dressy cocktail dresses to dress pant suits
Old March 11th, 2005, 06:53 PM
CynM

Leaving for my first cruise in two weeks and I have no problem with the formal nights it the "Smart Casual" that has me stumped. I am not quite sure what that means. I work in a very casual office and pretty much the norm for me during the summer is skorts, capris, shirts ranging to sleeveless sweaters to tank tops. So my wordrobe seriously lacks in the "smart casual" i think.? I really dont want to go out an spend a fortune just to be properly dressed for dinner. Can anyone shed some light on what the others are wearing that arent really slacks and blouses.

Please Help - Wordrobe Defecient out West.

Thanks!
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:22 PM
susancruzs

I'll wear a nice print blouse with slacks, I also have some silky print slacks that I'll wear with a shell. Skirts and a top are fine, too! I've also been known to wear a casual long dress with sandals (lots of stores sell them, they're comfortable, easy to roll in the suitcase and not overly dressy, fun to wear)!

Check your closet, you may have more than you think! I've gotten some of my cruise clothes at local thrift stores or Goodwill!

Some others may have suggestions for you, too!

Susie
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:12 AM
cinscruzcin

For "smart casual", we usually dress like we would going to a nice restaurant at home...a nice dress or skirt and top or if I wear a more casual sundress, I dress it up with a silky wrap and heels.
Enjoy your cruise!!
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Admiral

CynM - nice capris, a nice skirt with a nice blouse or sweater, sundress, sheath dress, Dockers type pants with a nice blouse, linen trousers with a nice blouse, flat or low-heel sandals and you are all set for casual nights.
Old March 18th, 2005, 02:55 PM
arachnoid

Default Re: Re: dinner dress

I found that while onboard the Star Princess, that evening dress was more semi-formal, then smart casual. There of course was no jeans, no tank tops, etc. unless a very smart formal tank.

I wore anything from super formal ball gown on formal night to the least formal: a white cotton gypsy skirt and blouse, and everything else in between... My halter black dress served well. With a pashmina, it looked formal. or by itself, was pretty casual.
Old March 19th, 2005, 09:56 PM
mslvp

Default Re: Re: Re: dinner dress

I LOVE to dress up, so the men in my group when I cruise always wear tuxes on formal nights (even the youngsters) & we women wear long dresses on formal nights.

Informal, the men wear suits or blazer with ties & we wear short cocktail dresses.

Casual, the women wear nice pants suits.