Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2005, 12:09 AM
Passenger

Default cabin location

Our family will be sailing on the Carribean princess this March 26th, our first Cruise! I have been reading these forums for months now and it has really helped me prepare for our vacation. I have no reason to think I or my husband or son will get sea sickness, but have bought necessary items in case>>>seabands, bonine. Our cabin location is>>> E116 on the Emerald Deck an inside cabin. I've read that the best places to avoid sea sickness is lower and in the middle of the ship, after going on the princess site and reviewing where our cabin is, it looks as if we are lower, but practically at the bow of the ship! lol, yikes, should I be worried? And how does that work when you get sea sickness, can you take things after you feel sick? I hate to take anything that makes me drowsy, nor do I want my family to, but as this day is getting closer , in the back of my head I'm thinking...... God I hope I don't get sick and ruin the biggest vacation we've ever taken!!!!! lol, any insights from anyone who knows this cabin location or ship would be greatly appreciated....
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2005, 12:46 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: cabin location

birdie - if you have any fear of being seasick, my doctor recommended this method to me before my second cruise (didn't consult before the first cruise but did get a little queasy once.) Take a bonine (meclizine), which is usually non-drowsy for most people, the night before you board the ship and take one at bedtime every night of the cruis Won't interfere with your daytime activities just in case it makes you drowsy.

If you choose not to do this, then you can take bonine, ginger, or something else at the first signs of the queasiness. Then, get yourself out on the open deck and look at the horizon (a fixed point) until the medication takes hold. If that doesn't work, get down to the infirmary and get yourself "the shot" - one time and works wonders for the rest of the cruise.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 11:47 AM
miss honey

Relax and enjoy. I get motion sickness very easy and have never had a problem on a cruise ship. miss honey
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:47 PM
R. Chapman

I agree, always start your meclazine (Bonine) the day before and take it every day, including the day after. It will help with sea legs. We have never had any sea sickness and we had about 2 hours of very rough seas on the last cruise. Unless you have some medical condition that prohibits Bonine, it is better to take it and be safe, than ruin your cruise. That is the way my wife and I approach it, and never a bad moment.

By the way, it has to get pretty bad before the Grand Class Ships really rock and roll.
Old March 24th, 2005, 09:04 PM
micdenver

Default motion sickness remedy.

I get Ginger capsules at the health food store or on-board the ship. If you find yourself feeling sea-sick take them with every meal. I forget if it is one or two per meal but the instruction on the ones on-ship (you can just read them without buying if you brought your own) will tell you the dosage. They work great and there are no side effects. I tried the pills before finding this recommendation on an FDA web-site. The pills made me too tired to enjoy myself. I have not tried the patch.

Regards,
Michelle
Old March 25th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Admiral

birdie, relax and enjoy! that's the best cure for seasickness. Don't fret or worry about it, our you could worry yourself sick. The seabands work great with no side-effects. I prefere the ginger remedy - hey its a good excuse to eat cookies or candy!! (Ginger Snap cookies, or crystalized ginger candy). The key to the ginger remedy is to take it at the FIRST sign of any kind of queezies, then get outside into the fresh air and do something physical - go for a walk, a swim, whatever. THE WORST thing you can do is to go back to your cabin and lie down it will make things worse.
An old sailors remedy is to keep carbs in your stomach, bread, rolls, crackers, it seems to help settle things.
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:08 AM
miss honey

My first cruise I remember being so worried that I would get motion sickness, especially sitting backward in the dining room. The ships are so huge, I normally don't even think about what direction we are moving. You really will be so taken by the ship, you will probaly forget about motion sickness. Good Luck. Miss Honey