Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2005, 11:44 PM
kled

Default A few odd questions for our cruise next week!

We are set to sail on the Caribbean Princess this Saturday and we are so excited!

A few questions....

What sort if cardio equipment is available? I know there are treadmills, but how about elliptical machines?

What is the thing to know about St. Martin? The booze is inexoensive there? Any great beaches?

I heard if we are looking for electronics St. Thomas is the place, is this true? What beache would you recommend there?

Thanks so much for any input you can provide!

Kim
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2005, 02:24 AM
pg

Default Re: A few odd questions for our cruise next week!

Kim you try Orient Beach on St Marten, very nice. Booze is cheaper in St Marten then in St Thomas. We don't buy electronics or jewerely on holiday.
check out the " ports board" .
Old March 27th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Gary Karschnick

We found out a long time ago, that "electronics" are far fheaper in the states, especially NYC. If you have a specific item that you want, do your home work and check prices at home. There may be a few isolated bargains, but they are few and far between. Dt. Thomas depends and encourages a "shoppers frenzy". The bargains there are found in unique jewelery and some clothing items.
Old March 27th, 2005, 08:26 AM
susancruzs

Great advice on the shopping! Years ago before all the discount stores, computer places, etc., St. Thomas was great for almost anything. Now you really need to price things before you leave the states.

Susie
Old March 27th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Shan

As far as the beach in St. Maarten...the minute you get off of the ferry the beach on your left is beautiful. You can "rent" the lounges and umbrellas thru the hotel....you can't miss them they're right on the beach. Enjoy!!
Old March 27th, 2005, 08:39 PM
R. Chapman

The Carib Princess has the best cardio setup of all the Princess ships. Treadmills, Steppers, Elipticals, all top notch. Each one has its own TV monitor and headphones. Very nice weight setup and of course you can walk or run outside on the deck. I think you will be very happy.

I second the person that said know your prices before you go and make sure that whatever you buy has an international warranty! It pays to make sure that whatever you buy outside the US is sold by a authorized agent or dealer of the item. We aren't drinkers so I will leave that to someone else. Have fun...We went in February and are going again in October.
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Dana Cline

As others have said here, check prices in advance on the net for things you're interested in. However, you might find electronices/cameras available in both St. Thomas and St. Maarten that have not yet been released in the states. When I was there a few weeks ago, they had the new Canon Digital Eos Rebel XT but the US companies didn't have them yet.

From the dock in St. Maarten, take the water taxi to downtown Philipsburg - it has an excellent beach.

Shore excursions - we took the Duck tour in St. Maarten and had a good time, but I hear the excursion that has you crewing an America's Cup sailboat is the best one to take.

Jewelry is a good deal in St. Thomas, and you can bring back up to 5 liters of rum per person if you buy it there. There are many good rums you simply cannot buy in the states at any price.

Dana
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Charliesmom

If you are planning to buy liquor, check the duty-free prices in the ship's shop before you buy on land. Frequently they are as good or better than what you find on land.

This is also true for jewelry. If you do plan to buy jewelry on land, don't plan to buy anything expensive. You never know if it is genuine, although I think you can trust Little Switzerland.

Roberta
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Admiral

kled,
important - you need to reserve your time to use the cardio-equipment, and they book up really fast. There is a huge demand.
As the others have told you, the electronics deals aren't what they used to be. Attend the port shopping lectures. We found the shopping much more relaxed on St. Maarten and they were more flexible about pricing. It was a "feeding frenzy" in St. Thomas - the stores were mobbed and the clerks only wanted to help you if you were going to drop a good chunck of change at the store.
St. Maarten has some really beautiful beaches - Orient is really fun- there is a clothing optional section. We did the Golden Eagle Catamaran Sail and had a blast, it was beautiful, fun and relaxing.
We bought our liquor in St. Thomas so i can't tell you about the prices in St. Maarten
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:23 PM
olechka

Liquor in St. Marten is 50% cheaper than St. Thomas. We bought Absolute and Stoli for $12 in St. Thomas and were kicking ourselves when we got to St. Marten it was 5.95.
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Familiar Face

I bought diamond ear-rings in St. Thomas. A year later I went to the same shop wearing those ear-rings, and with my receipt, I traded up to better diamonds. All jewelry there was discounted 50% immediately, then a little bartering. They gave me full purchase price on original ear-rings, and purchased the shiny new ones for the same amount more. Will return to my shop early 2011 with ear-rings and receipt. Think I'm happy with present diamonds--they are very nice, but will see what they offer.
Have also heard jewelry stores in U.S. often will do the same.