Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2005, 05:40 PM
Passenger

Default Parking in Galveston

How is the parking in Galveston? We plan on driving down from Dallas and parking our car for the week cruise. I heard it was like $80.00 for the week. Anything cheaper and just as secured... Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2005, 09:04 AM
Formerfuzz

Default Re: Parking in Galveston

Parking in Galveston isn't too bad. The Port Authority offers parking but you need to drop off one of your family members at the pier. They take all of the bags while you go park the car. You then ride a shuttle back to the pier. This means you sit through the line of cars twice. The same is true when you return. You ride the shuttle to get the car while a family member waits with the luggage. I have done this on many cruises from Galveston and have found that a private company named Dolphin Parking is much easier. There lot is right next to the Port Authority lot. There lot has some spaces with blue canopys for covered parking. You stop in there, pay your fee(about $9 a day) then you and the family with your luggage are shuttled to the pier drop off. When you return, you all ride back to the parking lot together. Hope this helps. Remember look for the blue canopy's on the right side as you get close to the pier.
Old April 1st, 2005, 09:10 AM
Formerfuzz

Forgot to mention we are sailing on the Grand Princess April 9th, for the second time. We went in November after T'Giving and we enjoyed it so much that we are going back.
Old April 1st, 2005, 09:49 AM
Passenger

Great! .. Thanks for the advice. It sounds like a fun cruise from what I hear.
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:46 AM
Margie Stinson

Default Re: Re: Parking in Galveston

I posted this somewhere else but I'll mention it again. The parking in Galveston is not something you really want to do unless you have no alternative. However, you might think about what I did. I left my car at a Toyota dealership to have some routine maintenance done, they dropped us all off at the pier (baggage and all)and picked us up on our return (called on our cell phone).

I basically got free parking, dropoff and pickup service at no charge, and to make it all even better, there was an internet 10% coupon for routine service! Not a bad deal at all.

Margie in Houston
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Why not go a day early and stay at a hotel or motel and enjoy Galveston. Most allow you you to leave yopur car parked free during the cruise.

You can then pay a cheap taxi fare to ride to and from the terminal. Parking at the terminal
shuttle lot is not really much fun.
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:59 PM
seeing the sea

We have had good experienced each of the three times we've parked in Galveston. The dolphin lot (used 2x's) is the best, but we also used EZ Cruise Parking and it was pretty good. EZ is close enough to the peir we walked back to the car with our luggage instead of waiting for a shuttle. Dolphin is better about providing plenty of large shuttle busses so the wait is minimal. I've heard the "official lot" is a nightmare though, but can't say myself, as I've never used it.
Like the above poster, we cruised the Grand in Nov. and will be sailing her again Apr. 9th and we will be parking in the Dolphin lot.
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Passenger

I decided to book a hotel right on the Ocean for less money to pay to park. They said I can leave the car there for the week. This worked out great since I was already going to look for a budget hotel around Galveston since I am driving from Dallas (Did not want to risk driving on the same day). I am now staying in a nice hotel on the beach. Thanks Paul for the advice on that one and thanks everyone else for the great suggestions.