Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Star Princess

My boyfriend and I will be sailing on the Star Princess to the Western Carib. Can anyone provide me with feedback on this Ship. Plus, any recommendations for Western Carib. shore excursions outside of those provide by the cruise lines. Also, any feedback on good places to eat/drink and be merry!!

Thanks, Darlene
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Crusin' Momma

Default Re: Star Princess

Darlene,

My husband and I will be sailing on the Star for the first time in October so I can't tell you anything about the ship. We have done the Western itinerary several times so I can help you there.

In Grand Cayman, you can go to Singray City and snorkel with the stingrays. You can book either on board or get a cheaper rate by booking ahead of time. Some companies are NativeWay Water Sports (we have used them twice. I booked by e-mail and paid at the pier with no advanced payment); I've heard that Captain Marvin's is also good.

You can go to Hell and the Turtle Farm also. I can't recommend any companies for that tour.

In Cozumel you can go to Paradise Beach. It's a free beach, but you pay for the water sports. They give you a chair and there is a restaurant there. You can go to Chanknaab Park. It's not free, but doesn't cost much to get in (sorry, I can't remember how much). You can spend the day there either on the beach or you can book a dolphin swim there.

You can also rent a jeep and drive around the island. On the "other side" of the island it's still pretty much untouched. There's a bar at the end called Mezcalita's which is very relaxing.

If the ship goes to Ocho Rios you can climb Duns River Falls and take a tour through Fern Gulley. We booked ahead of time through A-Z Planners. I did everything by e-mail with Belinda and again paid when we got there. If the ship goes to MOBAY, I can't help you -- never been there.

E-mail address for Belinda at A-Z is dbn@anngel.com.jm The website is: www.a-zjamaicaplanners.com

For NativeWay, contact Sharon Ebanks at nativway@CandW.ky I don't have the website address readily available, but you can do a search on Native Way and find it.

Hope this helps.
Old April 8th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Star Princess

Thanks a bunch for your information. I will research these websites for an enjoyable vacation. My boyfriend has never been on a cruise! We sail at the end of this month!

Hope you have a great cruise!

Thanks again, Darlene
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

We cruised the Star, West Carib. in Nov. She was beautiful! The food was great, we did the anytime dining. That worked for us because we never knew when we would want to eat. We swam with the Stingrays in Grand Cayman. It was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't miss it! Wished we could have done the Falls in Jamaica, but we ended up in Montego Bay. Too far to get to the Falls. Do them if you can! Costa Maya, we loved Majahual. It was a little rustic, but fun, we snorkeled. Cozumel, we did Chankanaab Park. That was great snorkeling and a fun beach to just hang out. We hear great things about 7 mile beach in Grand Cayman, if you have time. Overall, it was a great cruise, our first. Great sunsets, and being from California, it was the first time we saw the sunrise over the ocean. Have a great time!!!!!!

Old April 9th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Yeoman

We were on the Star in February. She is in very good condition. Nothing was worn or soiled. My one complaint was that the staff in Horizon Court weren't very helpful either in locating an available table or helping carry plates to the table. Since I had a cane in one hand, I had to take only what I could carry in the one free hand at a time and make many extra trips. There just wasn't any staff around to even ask for help. On the Sun, someone was constantly offering help even when I didn't need it. Other than that one complaint about Horizon Court staff, the crew was great. We love PC Dining and found that the Capri Dining Room on the 5th floor was not as busy as the Portifino on the 6th. Both are PC, but people didn't seem to go down that one extra floor. Most nights we were able to get into the Capri without a wait while there were always lines for the Portofino.

Carnival Inspiration