Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Passenger

Default Dawn Princess

Hi everyone............

We are taking our first cruise on the Dawn leaving on Halloween for the Mexican Riviera.
Haven't heard much about her. I understand she's a smaller ship. This is going to be
a 10 day trip so I've been reading and reading so we may have an idea of what to expect. Haven't been to Catalina since I was 15yrs. so it'll be fun to check it out.

We would appreciate any and all suggestions, however, we did decide to do the Personal Choice meal thing. We plan on many shore excursions and don't want to be tied down to a schedule. The tipping thing is interesting to read about. I agree, extra
is depending on attitude. I appreciate good service and will reward for that.

We've looked at pictures inside and out seems like a nice ship. We don't party just enjoy good entertainment and all and do like to play the slots.

Thanks for any info............Jo
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Dana Cline

Default Re: Dawn Princess

Jo,

The Dawn is not a megaship but neither is she a small ship...I think she'll have about 2200 passengers or so. If you've never cruised before, she'll certainly seem huge. Our first cruise was on her sister the Sea Princess and when I approached her dockside I was amazed at her size. After cruising on other ships, I think the Dawn is just about the right size.

I've posted writeups and photos on my web site at www.logicsmith.com in the Adventures section. We did the Mexican Riviera once (albeit a 7 day cruise) and just came off the Dawn's 10-day Caribbean Adventure cruise last month. She seems to be in fine shape, and the food and service were great.

I'm sure on a 10-day cruise you'll see more of the area than I did on the 7-day. One thing to be aware of...apparently the northbound reach from Cabo San Lucas to LA can be rather choppy, so if you are susceptible to seasickness, that would be the most likely time to be affected. Bonine is available in any pharmacy and works really fast, and unlike Dramamine it doesn't make you sleepy. I would recommend NOT using the patch, as it has many side effects.

Dana
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Dawn Princess

Thanks so much for the information. There seems to be so much to think about
and get together that we don't know about. We're really looking forward to it.

That was something about the Princess ship over on the East coast. That one man
drove over one-hundred mile home it scared him so much. Too bad.

I personally worry more about the traffic I have to drive with each morning.

I've never go sea-sick but you never know thanks, we have a boat and are in it as much as the weather allows, went up to the Queen Charlotte Islands one year and got caught in a storm 5 miles out and rode 5 to 6 foot rollers in a 21' boat, little bit scary.

Jo
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Dana Cline

Jo,

That ship on the East Coast wasn't the Dawn Princess, it was the Norwegian Dawn. Different ship, different company.

From what I 've heard, there were only a handful of people with problems. Unfortunately, they were the ones the media paid attention to. Most of what was said was not fact-checked before being aired.

Dana
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Was on the Dawn this winter in the Caribbean..had a blast. Ship is just the right size..there as a big group of us that meet on another boards' roll call. We did dinner as a group , PC...found a waiter and table that we liked and requested that waiter for rest of the trip.

Several nights we did the production show early then ate later..less crowded and we didn't have to arrive an hour before the start of the show.

Will be doing the same Mexican trip in March 2006 with many of the same people.

Enjoy
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Familiar Face

Just came off a 10- day cruise on the Dawn in April. Nice ship. Crew was wonderful. Food in the dinning room was great. We ate in the formal dinning room every night at 8:15. Our waiters were excellent and they were very funny- had a blast each night at dinner. Food in the buffet was adequate but not as good as on other cruise lines. To be honest the entertainment wasn't very good. Met up with a group of criuse critics and had a blast with them - 3 nights of karoche and setting up our own tours. The show put on by the staff was very good. Rest of the evenings we sat around some of the lounges, listen to the bands and had a few drinks.

Best place to hang out during the days at sea is at the rear of the ship - the Oasis bar. It's quiet & peaceful, has a small pool and 3 hot tubs although it seemed that every day 1 or 2 of the hot tubs was closed for some reason.

OH - Before I forget. There is a sit down pizza restaurant on the ship. Best pizza I've had in a long time. Spent many afternoons there. Don't miss the pizza.

As for sea sickness - Go to your local drug store and pick up a couple of bracelets made especially for sea sickness. Works on a pressure point process that really works. Have worn the bracelet on every cruise I've been on.

Have a great cruise!!!!
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Dawn Princess

To Headusher.........

Thanks for the information, I lost my way around the board and just now found it again.
We plan on doing "Randi's Happy Horses" in Mazatlan if we can get off the ship in time.
We also are interested in parasailing, but we want the one off the boat as neither of us can run down the beach let alone try to land. If you have any information about that in Cabo or Pueto Valiarta I would welcome it. It's almost time for us to be able to see the excursions through the ship so we'll see.........

I'm trying to start to get some little things together so I won't forget. We love our coffee and from what I understand the ships is not to good. Oh...by the way the tap water on the ship is ok to just drink isn't it? I'm not into water all day long just a little a day.

Thanks again, Jo
Old August 6th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Angie_Alabama
Default Re: Re: Re: Dawn Princess

Jo,

Hubby and I and my friend and her family will be onboard with you. I have already made our reservations with Randi's. You can do so through her web site. You will love Princess I'm sure....this is our 4th with Princess....one more and we;re Platinum. So glad to see more ppl are going. I also post on cruisecritic but not many posts from ppl joining us.

Angie
Old August 12th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Dawn Princess

Angie, Hi...........I haven't checked for awhile but glad to hear from someone else going.
I haven't sat a horse for several years and probably will lose my balance.
This is our first trip so we're excited to go, just look for a lady with a white
pony tail..........that's me, too lazy for the short hair thing.

Won't be long now.....................Jo
Old August 13th, 2005, 07:29 PM
kradogna

I will be cruising on the Mexican Riviera on the Dawn this Thanksgiving and I am also trying to find any and all information this ship. This will be my first time on the Dawn and also my first holiday cruise. I have been on the Regal Princess which is slightly smaller than the Dawn and on the Sapphire Princess which is quite a bit bigger. They were both great cruises and I expect this one will be too.

I have rode with Randi on both my previous trips to Mexico and it was the highlight of the trip both times. Even my sister who started out terrified of horses loved it! Randi and her crew do a really good job of matching each rider up with the horse perfect for their experience and riding ability. I was really concerned before the first time because I knew I would need a big horse because of my size, however my only riding experience was on a carnival pony 35 years ago! Randi did an excellent job of calming my fears and matched me up with the perfect "gentle giant".

Don't worry about getting off the ship in time. Randi knows when the ship is late and she will wait until all her riders are off before she leaves. If you haven't already done so, make reservations at her website (www.randishappyhorses.com) as soon as possible because she does fill up quick.

Have a great cruise!