Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:40 AM
bjkeen

Default Re: Black Denim ...Jeans?

The Sensation
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:31 PM
AR

I'm one of those who believes that people should stick to the suggested dress for each evening, and abide by whatever dress code is published.

I don't know how many of you live in a world where you go to social events that aren't aboard a ship. I do. The invitations frequently state things such as "Business Attire," or "Casual," or (horror of horrors!) "Black Tie." It never occurs to me to think that I should dress some other way so that I can be "more comfortable." My tux fits fine, as do my other clothes. I'm comfortable in all of them. What on earth is the big deal about simply adhering to a dress request? It's one of the elementary social graces, and is not a difficult thing to do.

I would never consider showing up at a black tie event in a sport coat, or at a business attire event in Dockers or jeans. I dress as requested to honor the spirit of the event, my hosts, and my fellow merrymakers. I don't spend time worrying about what I can get away with, because it's perfectly easy to jump into clothes that fill the bill.

I enjoy being with ladies and gentlemen who don't feel a need to make a "personal statement" by dressing down. I find that dressing appropriately is a sign of maturity and I honor that.
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Wake

Well said, AR.
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:00 PM
j feingold

Default Re: Re: Black Denim ...Jeans?

"I enjoy being with ladies and gentlemen who don't feel a need to make a "personal statement" by dressing down. I find that dressing appropriately is a sign of maturity and I honor that."

Why is there a need to categorize those people that choose to wear jeans as "needing to make a personal statement", immature, those that buck authority at work and run red lights, etc. It seems to me that they are just people that are out to enjoy their vacation in a way that works best for them, without harming me.

People that wear jeans run the risk of being excluded from the dining room. It's their choice--more often then not they seem to be allowed in. It doesn't affect me either way. The last time I checked, noone had designated me as the clothes police.
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:19 PM
jksmith

I just returned from an Alaskan cruise aboard the Regal Princess. I saw LOTS of jeans in the dining room, both black and blue. I didn't see any that were not neat and clean looking.

Since I first came across this thread prior to my cruise, I took special note to see if there were any notices posted in the Princess Patters or outside the dining room regarding jeans. I didn't see any. I also saw lots of jeans and no notices prohibiting them on my Mexican Riviera cruise aboard the Sapphire Princess last October. On both cruises, the Princess Patters made note that "shorts and bathing attire were not permitted in the dining room" but didn't say anything about jeans.

The only place I have ever read that jeans are prohibited in the dining room is one small line in the pre-cruise literature prior to my cruise last October. Even on Princess' website it states in several places that "torn jeans are not permitted", but doesn't say anything about not-torn jeans. If Princess intends for people to follow this rule, then they really need to better publicize it. Not everybody reads every word of their pre-cruise documents!
Old May 24th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

I must admit that the food served in the dining room appears to taste the same whether I've put on a tux, or jeans and a t-shirt. And it still tastes the same no matter what the people around me are wearing too.

I've never understood this fascination about dressing up to eat, as if somehow the attire makes the meal better in some way.

I'm even of the opinion that a tie is the most useless item of clothing being worn in the modern world of today.

It really is quite silly, get dressed in cabin and put on jacket, walk to dining room, take off jacket and sit down, eat, get up, put on jacket, go to room to change. And the point of wearing the jacket was.......?

I've also noticed it seems the ones who get the most huffy about clothing is women? But they don't have to wear ties, or a jacket, just a breezy dress while their mate sits there sweating in a buttoned collar and constricting tie covered by a jacket. All to make dinner an "event".

I've also never understood why jeans, made from cotton cloth are somehow different in their appearance from dockers, which are made from cotton cloth as well. Construction methods appear to be the same in both cases as well.

People are just odd!

Cheers,
Peter