Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2005, 12:05 AM
micheleandjeff

Default Black Denim ...Jeans?

I have a question when they say no jeans Do they mean Blue jeans or any jeans.What if you have a nice dressy black pair that dont look like jeans? Just wondering?Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Black Denim ...Jeans?

when the policy states no jeans, its to deter people from wearing torn, ratty, faded work jeans. If you want to wear a nice pair of black jeans that would be fine for casual night.
I personally don't even bring a single pair of jeans on a cruise, they are just to hot, heavy and dark for the Caribbean, for me.
Old April 15th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Gator

Default Re: Re: Black Denim ...Jeans?

Lisa....I believe you are in correct in your advice. NO JEANS means NO JEANS of any kind....black, blue, tan, purple, green, ripped, brand new, cheap or expensive. No jeans are allowed in the dining room at dinner.
Old April 15th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Bushwhacker

Default Re: Re: Re: Black Denim ...Jeans?

A nice dressy black pair that dont look like jeans would be just fine!
Old April 15th, 2005, 07:27 PM
j feingold

The whole issue of jeans in the dining room seems to be a very flamable subject on these sites. Whatever Princess' policy is, it doesn't seem to be enforced. Some people wear jeans (even on formal nights). Some people seem to think that if you are going to wear jeans, you should be relegated to the Horizon Court buffet for dinner. My suggestion is to go with what you are comfortable with.
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Jero

I sailed on Caribbean Princess last May, and I had no problems with using jeans. At first I was scared because I only had one casual pant, since I am 20 years old and I only had jeans. But they are nice jeans, not torn or baggy jeans. I used jeans every night exept in the elegant night were I used a nice black suite. If you want to use jeans, i'll recommend to use them with a very nice shirt, so it looks a little bit more classy.
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:56 PM
jknichols

I always wear my black jeans on casual nights. I buy them just before the cruise so they are brand new and in good repair. They are just your basic Walmart $15.99 black jeans, nothing fancy, but still you'd have to be practically sitting on top of me running your hand up and down my pants to tell they are jeans instead of black slacks! If somebody wants to go to that extreme to tell what kind of pants I'm wearing, then they have the problem, not me!
Old April 27th, 2005, 07:54 PM
bluewaves

Buy a pair of dockers and leave the jeans at home a nice pair of regular pants would be lighter and more comfotable then any jeans and if you look around a decent pair of pants costs just what a pair of nice jeans does and after a hot day in the carribean you'll appreciate a nice pair of light pants.
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

leave the jeans home..buy some nice cotton or rayon dress pants or a pretty sundress.....No jeans means no jeans...lets not stretch and then break the rules....

Guys there are some ncie cotton dress pants out there also..Docker type or a bit dresser.

Jeans are hot and heavy to wear or carry in the luggage.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

"Leave your jeans at home, they are so hot, buy this or buy that, they are so much more comfortable!" Well, in your opinion they are, but if they like wearing jeans, wear jeans. I think they are the best decision maker as to their heavyness or comfort.

I can't believe that people are so worried about what OTHER people wear. Wear what you want to and relax.

I wear jeans regularly and find them quite comfortable thank yo very much.

Cheers,
Peter

Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:20 AM
ksmith@netcom.com

I just bought 5 new pair of black jeans to take on my upcoming Alaskan cruise aboard the Regal Princess (leave in 6 more days...yeah!). Other than clothes for formal night, the jeans and casual blouses to go with them is all I'm bringing. At home, jeans is pretty much all I ever wear and I didn't want to spend alot of money buying clothes I would never wear again. And as someone else already said, unless you're looking very closely, they look just like black slacks.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:27 AM
Admiral

The "no jeans in the dining room" during dinner hours is a very broad term, it went into effect to keep the ambiance of fine dining in tact. They didn't want people showing up in worn, torn, ripped, dirty work jeans(get it?). Technically, the Maitre D has the right to turn you away from the dining room, and i have seen it done, chances are that a nice pair of neat black jeans (like you described)would be fine.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:07 PM
Dolfan

The "no jeans in the dining room" during dinner hours is a very broad term, it went into effect to keep the ambiance of fine dining in tact. They didn't want people showing up in worn, torn, ripped, dirty work jeans(get it?). Technically, the Maitre D has the right to turn you away from the dining room, and i have seen it done, chances are that a nice pair of neat black jeans (like you described)would be fine.

WRONG....no jeans means no jeans...it does not mean that "neat black jeans" would be fine. What is it with people not going with what the cruise lines request??
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

"no jeans means no jeans" apparently doesn't mean "no jeans" with the cruiseline. On my last cruise aboard Sapphire Princess, I wore new jeans to dinner every night (except formal) without question. On top of that, one night I was TALKING TO THE MAITRE'D about a seating issue when he stopped another passenger entering the dining room in ratty-looking old jeans that looked like they belonged in the trash bin. He informed the other passenger that he would have to change into more suitable attire before entering the dining room. I immediately became embarrased because I was wearing jeans too, so I asked the maitre'd about it. He didn't seem to right away understand what I was asking and told me that "you look fine". I rephrased my question so that he would understand that I was asking if jeans were okay and he said (paraphrasing here. I don't remember the exact words) "yes jeans are fine. Anything nice is fine. I didn't stop him because of jeans. I stopped him because his clothes were torn and dirty."
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

Key word is "request", not demand, not require, not force.

Unfortunately there are people that just cannot enjoy themselves if other people do things that they don't like.

Sad really.

It all boils down to being happy about how you look, and if your clothes are neat and clean, wear what you like as you WILL NOT have a problem.

Cheers,
Peter

Old May 13th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Gator

It's actually not a request but what is stated....as in "no jeans or shorts" in the dining room" so why can't people just go with that? It is quite arrogant to do whatever one wants. I am a huge jeans person but if Princess says no jeans, then it is no jeans. I do think that if they state that then they should go by that. If they aren't going to inforce it then don't state it. A better way of stating things would be "no denim" instead of "no jeans".
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Jero

Some people gets angry with the ones that use jeans. I sincerly think that if they look nice and dressy, its okay. I used twice a nice pair of blue jeans and wento to the dinner room with them, but I didnt had a t-shirt or something like it, I used a nice long sleeve shirt with a nice pair of dressy/casual shoes. I think that they say no jeans because if they dont said it, more people will appear to the dinner room, looking like the one mentioned in one of the posts, with thorn and dirty clothes. It all depends on how you look with the jeans and with what other clothes you combine them.

I really get mad with the people that are affected emotionally when other use jeans around them. Sometimes i want to say "hey is not your problem". If princess dont want to let me in to the dinner because I have a pair of jeans on, well, i'll go back and change, not problem. But that is my problem and other people shouldn't care about it.

The point in cruising is to have a nice time, and I dont consider that having a nice time includes getting mad because the guys sitting next to you have jeans.
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:10 AM
LisaCollie

Hey everyone. Taking my first cruise in November with hubby and another couple. What's the rule for attire?? Can we wear casual shorts/pants on deck during the day, and then have to put on nice pants at night??? What about cotton pants wtih big pockets in them and strings? Are these ok? I'm confused now, what do we bring for the evenings to wear?
Old May 16th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Lisa - the dress code for daytime is shorts, tanks, t-shirts, etc. You need a cover-up for your bathing suit.
Princess has two dress codes for the evenings- Resort Casual - which means dockers type pants with polos or button-down short sleeve shirts with casual shoes for the men. For the ladies it basically means nice capris with a nice blouse, sundress, sheath type dress,casual dress, skirt & blouse, nice trousers with a nice blouse and i usually wear flat sandals.
Formal - dark suit, shirt/tie dress shoes or tux for the men.
Ladies - Long dress or gown, long dressy skirt w/ dressy-sparkly blouse, dressy cocktail dress, dressy pants suits , dress heels.
The evening dress codes apply to all the dining rooms except the Horizon Court buffet.
Short are allowed in the dining rooms during breakfast & lunch.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Dolfan

Jero (and others)....I don't think it is that other cruisers get mad at people for wearing jeans, I think it is the thought pattern that is ok to not go by the dress code. If the cruise line (notice I said cruise line, not other cruisers), says no jeans why can't people go with that? If the cruise line did allow jeans, I would wear them every night. But the cruise line says "no jeans", so I will not be wearing them.

I just don't get people and never will I suppose.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:42 AM
ILoveCruising

Dolfan...I totally agree. The real issue is that people have to buck authority and rules for some reason. That is what this issue comes down to. They are probably the same people that buck authority at work, run lights, etc. it isn't a "jeans" issue, it is an authority and a "I will do whatever I want" issue.

It's a sad commentary on people today.
Old May 17th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Feingold

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Black Denim ...Jeans?

"The real issue is that people have to buck authority and rules for some reason. That is what this issue comes down to. They are probably the same people that buck authority at work, run lights, etc. it isn't a "jeans" issue, it is an authority and a "I will do whatever I want" issue.

It's a sad commentary on people today."

Wearing jeans to dinner--a sure sign of deviant tendencies. Hide the women and children.
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Wake

If you are going to the Caribbean, I think jeans are too warm to wear.
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:05 AM
ILoveCruising

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Black Denim ...Jeans?

Not doing what is asked is the issue. It doesn't matter if it is something like wearing jeans or something else. You are missing the point.
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Jero

Actually at least Princess Contradict their statements about jeans, because in the papers I received last year, they say "thorn jeans", but in other part it says jeans. So it all depends how you see it, or how you interpret the rules.

Is not an issue of breaking authority, and I dont have nothing against authority. And Sincerly in my fisrts two days of the cruise, I used dockers, and after I saw that people were allowed to enter the dinner room with jeans, I guessed that it was the first thing I saw in the papers "thorn jeans not allowed", and not the "jeans not allowed".
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Wake

Understand there is a stated no jean policy. Personally I think it should be followed.
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Feingold

And you should (and do) have the right to follow it.
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Beginner

Cruising used to be a real classy event; now as it's popularity has grown, it's becoming sloppy - cruisers and ship service/staff. If you want to help put back the special atmosphere of a cruise, we all have to start doing our part - and that includes wardrobe! No jeans.

Old May 20th, 2005, 04:56 AM
bjkeen

I sat in the dining room listening as the Matre'd told this to passengers sitting behind me. Considering the fact that it is the first night and luggage has not arrived for many passengers, you will be allowed to stay in the dining room for tonight ONLY. You are expected to show up in the appropriate attire after tonight which is resort casual, except for the formal nights, and formal wear is required for those nights. I felt bad for them. There is no way that I would go to the dining room wearing the wrong clothes.

I'd go to the Lido Deck Buffet if I just did not want to dress appropriately.
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Jero

Hey bjkeen in what ship that happened?? Just wondering