Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2005, 02:56 PM
fabmommy

Default Bonine vs Dramamine vs. SeaBands

hi there again - i just love reading all the posting on here. Im learning alot and getting really excited about our upcoming cruise!! (CP 7/16/05)

I have been seeing postings regarding Bonine being the anti-motionsickness drug of choice. My question is what is different about it from Dramamine? Dramamine makes me sleepy and wierd feeling.

Ive been motionsick alot in my life and seem to have a strong gag reflex (its gross I know - sorry ) I also have some anxiety issues regarding medications that make me feel "weird". So I avoid those entirely( ususally ephedrine based stuff)

Does Bonine make you feel weird or sleepy? Ive used the SeaBands for morning sickness in my 3rd pregnancy, and while im not sure they worked entirely - my sickness was not AS bad...

Also how old do you have to be to take Bonine??

Thanks SO MUCH!
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2005, 03:37 PM
booboo4031

Default Re: Bonine vs Dramamine vs. SeaBands

Bonine does not have the sedative effect. I have done 20+ cruises and have always used Bonine and have never gotten motion sickness and I'm the type that gets motion sickness playing video games! I really don't know much about the seabands.

Old April 21st, 2005, 05:38 PM
SharB

If you don't have any meds for blood thinners, ginger in one of its many forms works great for me. I also use bonine in advance when going out on small boats for snorkeling or whale watching. You might want to try using it before your cruise, just to make sure you don't get any weird feelings.

I carry a small zip lock bag with candied ginger to nibble on and it works immediately when I get the quieseys. Other ways you can take ginger include in pill form, ginger ale, and ginger cookies.

Shar
Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:58 AM
Admiral

i am a huge beliver in the ginger remedy, It works great for the mild queezies and doesn't leave you with any kind of "weird" feeling.
The Sea Bands work great- its accupressure
I would pack the Bonine as a back-up just in case, take it at night.
Just know that the ships have wonderful stabalizers and chances are that you won't even need anything.
Get outside into the fresh air and do something physical- take a walk, go for a swim, whatever, this helps greatly, also keep some carbs in your stomach - bread, rolls, crackers, things like that work great as a preventative.
Do not combine remedies.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 11:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bonine worked for me. Never even thought about it on our 7 day. Took it the day we left and every day thereafter. Have fun!!!!!!!!

Old April 22nd, 2005, 11:33 PM
First Mate

Taking my 9th cruise in a month and will use Bonine as always. My young daughter has taken it as well. It does not have the same side affects as dramamine (sleepiness, dry mouth, spaced-out feeling). It might make you yawn a little, but that's it.

Nothing (including Bonine) works quite as well if you wait until you feel sick to take it. It's best to take a Bonine about 2 hours before the motion starts. You can take up to 2 in a 24 hour period, but I normally only need one a day. I rode out a hurricane on a RCCL (Rhapsody of the Sea) cruise year before last and didn't get sick, like so many others because of the Bonine.

By the way, every cruise line I've been on has free packets of Bonine (but with the pharmaceutical name) for passengers but I always take my own so I don't have to go looking.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:21 AM
Beginner

Hi My2cents:

so how old is your young daughter? My kids are 4,6 and 9. im thinking they might be too young for meds. what age does the bonine bottle recommend? im thinking ginger might be good for them...

thanks!

sue
Old April 27th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Charliesmom

For young kids the sea bands are best. They are also good for pregnant women who are suffering from morning sickness.

If you are taking Bonine or Dramamine, be sure to not drink any alcohol. Alcohol potentiates the effect of the drug and might make you sick.

Roberta
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Beginner

Try a product called TRIPTONE. It does not make you drousy like Dramamine. I have friends that SWEAR by it.

Sapphire Princess
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:32 PM
Cruzin Momma

SharB, what's the problem with ginger and blood thinners?
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:38 PM
SharB

Hi Cruzin Momma!

Ginger is actually used to thin blood and causes a double-whammy if you are on blood thinning meds for your heart or other conditions. You can search on google and find different doctor sites that cover the subject. It would be very serious if you were using the meds and ginger AND got into an accident.

Here's one of the sites I found that talk about it:

AYURVEDIC SCIENCE UPDATES
Modern Science validating Ancient Medicine

Dr. Virender Sodhi MD (Ayurved), ND

Phone: 425-453-8022

Email: drsodhi@ayurvedicscience.com

Ginger as powerful antiinflammatory:

Ginger is widely used as a spice in Asian cooking. It is commonly used in baked goods, beverages, candies, liqueurs and even perfumes. Ginger has been described as a medicinal plant in India and China for centuries. Charka (Father of medicine) and Sushruta (father of surgery) have referred to its efficacy in many diseases. To the Arabic physician, ginger was known as “Zanzabil”. The Greeks and Romans used it as a spice. In folk medicine it is considered a digestive and carminative, an aid for stomach pain, diarrhea, nausea, rheumatism and toothache. This spice was always Grandma’s favorite for stomachaches, toothaches, headaches and joint pains. Pharmacologically, ginger is an antioxidant. It stops inflammation, inhibits prostaglandin, thromboxane, and leukotrienes synthesis, along with platelet aggregation (blood thinning). It is also known to be choleretic (increases bile flow), cardiotonic, digestive, carminative, antibiotic, thermogenic (Heat producing) and it lowers cholesterol. In this article I will discuss the powerful anti-inflammatory properties of ginger.

Ginger is an antioxidant: Ginger is a strong antioxidant, which is why it is used in preventing rancidity of meat products. It has shown to prolong the shelf life of fresh, frozen and precooked meat. As an antioxidant, it helps prevent free radical damage and helps inflammation.

Ginger as an antiinflammatory:

Numerous ingredients in ginger have shown to be potent inhibitors of inflammatory prostaglandin and leukotrienes. This may explain its use in inflammatory diseases such as Rheumatoid arthritis, headaches and body aches. Ginger is also a powerful antioxidant and contains an enzyme “protease”, which contains a powerful action on inflammation as bromelain (from Pineapple) and papain (from papaya). In an animal model study, ginger extract reduced the carrageenan-induced inflammation in a rat’s paw. Ginger also contains antihistaminic and anti-toxicity activities. Allergies and toxicity can many times, be a trigger for inflammation. In a study on seven patients of Rheumatoid arthritis, all the patients that were given ginger reported substantial improvement in pain relief, increased joint mobility, decreased swelling and morning stiffness. In another study with 28 patients of rheumatoid arthritis, 18 patients of osteoarthritis and 10 patients of muscular discomfort; powdered ginger was given in doses of 500-1000 mg per day for three months to two and a half years. Based on clinical observation, 75% patients of rheumatoid arthritis, and osteo arthritis experienced relief in pain and swelling.100% of the patients of muscular discomfort experienced relief in pain and swelling. Patients taking higher doses experienced faster results.

In other study by Srivastava and Mustafa, ginger was reported to be beneficial for migraine headaches.

Blood thinning effect of ginger:

Ginger is a potent blood thinner. The blood thinning effect is due to its platelet aggregation inhibiting effect. It also inhibited thromboxane and prostaglandins and reduced platelet lipid peroxidation, which makes it one of the superior blood thinning agents.

Analgesic effect:

Ginger has shown to exhibit analgesic effects in experimental animals by inhibiting the release of substance P. This is a very similar action to capsaicin from cayenne or red pepper.

Antispasmodic action and anti-ulcer activity:

Ginger increases intestinal motility and at the same time, has proven to be a powerful antispasmodic. This is why it is used as a gastrointestinal tonic. Ginger has also shown to stop serotonin-induced diarrhea. Many patients taking selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Prozac or Paxil suffer with the side effects of diarrhea. Ginger may come to their rescue. Time and time again, it has shown to have anti-ulcer properties. It can prevent ulcers due to alcohol, indomethacin, aspirin and other common ulcerogenic compounds. Indomethacin and aspirin are used as non-steroidal antiinflammatory agents and are known to cause ulcers. Almost 2000 people die every year from gastric bleeding due to these drugs. Ginger is considered a much safer alternative because of its valuable properties.

Dosage:

Most of the research has been done with 1-2 grams of ginger powder, but in India the average intake is around 8-10 grams per day. Cooking the spice may also decompose the active ingredients in ginger. For antiinflammatory purposes, take ginger 3-6 grams two to three times per day. Ginger has been combined in equal parts with long pepper and black pepper for digestive actions and the preparation is commonly called “Trikatu”. Standardized extract of ginger doses is 100-200mg three times per day.

Toxicity:

Ginger is quite safe in therapeutic doses. In experimental animals, the doses of 2.5 gram/kg were tolerated without any mortality. However, when the dose was increased to 3-3.5 gram/kg then there was 10-30% mortality. In a human dose, it means that a person of 160 lbs average weight can take up to 180 grams of ginger (a very high dosage) everyday without toxicity. Some individuals taking ginger 6 grams on empty stomach may get gastrointestinal upsets. Also ginger has blood-thinning activities. If you are on blood thinners like coumadin or taking aspirin, you may need to watch the ginger intake and limit it to 2 grams per day.

References:

Med Hypotheses. 1992 Dec;39(4):342-8.

Med Hypotheses. 1989 May;29(1):25-8.

Cancer Lett. 1998 Jul 17;129(2):139-44.

Posit Health News. 1998 Fall;(No 17):16-8.

Carcinogenesis. 2002 May;23(5):795-802.

Neuropharmacol 1992,31: 1165-1169

Am J Chin Med 1989; 17: 51-56

J Ethnopharmocology 1988; 23: 299-304

J Pharm Soc Japan 1992; 112: 645-655

For more information about Dr. Virender Sodhi and the Ayurvedic Clinic, please visit www.ayurvedicscience.com. For the herbs listed above, please visit www.ayush.com

Disclaimer: This article is purely informative and should not replace the guidance of your physician. If you suffer from an illness, you should consult a physician before taking any herbs, vitamins, minerals or enzymes. Even at the peak of health, it is best to consult a qualified practitioner before taking any dietary supplement.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:16 PM
TexasGal

Hi everyone, I was just wondering where you can get Bonine or the sea bands? I looked in my local grocery store and I didn't see any. Do I have to go through my doctor? Thanks for any help...I leave in 26 days! WOOHOO!
Keri
1st cruise-Golden Princess-European Capitals-26 days to go!!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:13 PM
fabmommy

Default Re: Re: Bonine vs Dramamine vs. SeaBands

Hi TexasGal!

I just ordered some Bonine off of drugstore.com I know they also sell other forms of nausea control.

Have fun on your cruise!

Sue
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:13 PM
Desiree Russo

Hello

I just got off a cruise 2 days ago and i am prone to severe motion sickness airplanes, boats, cars, etc. I used the transderm patch. It worked GREAT!!!! Sea bands did not work great for me in the car and Drammine does make me sleepy on planes so I tried the patch and it was perfect. I was able to have a drink a day and the motion did not bother me. Two of my friends did take Bonine and Drammine and felt more of the motion and did not feel that great a few of the days. I even wore the patch on the plane ride home and it was good too. It helps when you get off the ship and you are still moving it helps not feel it so much. This was my first cruise and I definately will cruise again with the patch.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:30 AM
Admiral

Sea bands did nothing and I got very sea sick when I tried them. Bonine however worked like a charm. I only took 1/2 tablet every night BEFORE going to bedstarting the night before I cruised. I was fine the next day but think I would have been a bit sleepy if I took them in the day. I weigh about 102 lbs so a half a tablet worked fine for me I would give this dose for kids as well, though they say you can take 1-2 tablets on the instuctions. I did take an exta 1/4 tablet one night cause it was raining and the ship was rocking more.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Yeoman

Bonine DOES have some side effects in some people. I didn't react to it at all, but DH reacted strongly. If you choose to take it, TRY IT AT HOME FIRST. Also, her doctor told my daughter that Ginger can cause birth defects if taken during pregnancy.

Carnival Inspiration
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:03 PM
SharB

Linda: Pregnant people should always check with their doctor before using herbs. I did a quick check on the web and according to what I read, it's a refined substance from ginger that causes birth defects. In any case - it depends on the person and their medical history. Any of the items mentioned need to be used before vacation to make sure there's no side-affects.

Shar
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:14 AM
GoatPro

Always have been able to purchase bands at Walgreens Drug Stores. Also anyone with glucoma should not use any sea sick medication and for sure should check with their doctor prior to med usage. Bands on the other hand are very effective and benign for interaction with medications. I have purchased these for the young and the old and everyone inbetween and all have said that they could not have done without them. Even one lady said that she used them when she had her MRI and they helped with that as well. She was diagnosed with vertigo and so she wears them constantly and they have allowed her to be able to be mobile to a greater degree without the feeling like she was falling all the time. Just my two cents worth
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:36 AM
SharB

Hi Goatpro!
Great idea, to use the bands for vertigo. My MIL has that problem. Maybe we could add the bands to her Mother's Day gift bag :o)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Shar
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:22 PM
GoatPro

You're welcome! Yours was a great idea as well. My mom is not with us so this time of year I miss her terrible.....give yours a extra hug on her special day.
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:57 PM
SharB

Same with me, my Mom isn't around to hug anymore, so I'll give my MIL an extra two. :o)

Shar
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:05 PM
TexasGal

Default Re: Re: Re: Bonine vs Dramamine vs. SeaBands

Hi there! Thanks for letting us know about Walgreens...will go tomorrow to my local one and see if they carry them! What do they look like? Like bracelets?? Thanks!
Keri
1st cruise-June 1, 2005-European Capitals.....27 days to go
25 days until I reach London!
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:20 AM
missgail

Just wanted everyone to be aware that many ginger ale's these days dont actually have any ginger in them. I dont think those would help much. Check the labels.
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:30 AM
GoatPro

Mine are a sweatered band and they come in pairs with a button on each. The button is placed on a certain area of the wrist (instructions included). You must wear both for them to be effective. Just ask the clerk, they will be able to help you. The ginger article waasn' referring to ginger ale as in the drink...I think it was referring to genger as in the health food store.
Old May 11th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Amy k.

I just sailed the golden princess 4/24-5/1. I started off using the patch. Had to remove it the 2nd night at dinner due to rather extreem blurred vision and cotton mouth. I had the Sea bands w/ me and used them the rest of the trip. I never once felt seasick. I did however, feel vertigo. This vertigo is still going on and I'v been home for 9 days now.

does anyone have any information on this????
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:59 AM
bjkeen

Wow, what informative and interesting comments.

If Bonine agrees with you; you might also consider taking Bonine once you have returned home and are on land. I have a rocking sensation after returning from a cruise. During my last cruise someone told me to continue to take the Bonine for a few days after I returned home. Guess what? It helped.
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:31 PM
Sea-soned 1

If you do wish to use Bonine, or are buying bonine, you can go to your pharmacist and buy Meclizine, which is the generic form of Bonine. Same stuff. The last time I bought Bonine, it was around 8 dollars for 6 tablets (at the airport), and Meclizine was about 9 dollars for 100 tablets. Ask your pharmacist...................meclizine is an over the counter medication now.................................didn't use to be.
Of course, you want to check with your doctor about any meds...................
Old June 3rd, 2005, 02:41 AM
Mrs. O'Hara

Yes, the body can be a pain in the behind. I love cruising but suffer from severe motion sickness. I get sick watching a car driving by. I was also hospitalized for Vertigo two months before my first cruise. After a couple of days of eating bad food and a CAT scan, it turns out that one of the small bones in my ear has attitude. In order to cruise without complete misery I must take a combination of drugs.

My Advice:

First, if you are taking any medications, please talk to your Doctor before taking over the counter motion sickness drugs.

Second, please try what ever you decide to take before your cruise. You do not want to find out on your dream vacation that the medication makes you tired, sick, or just does not work.

Trust me on this one. Thanks to my Dr. and I doing some pre-cruise medication testing, I had a great time.