Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Passenger

Default cruise insurance

First Time on a cruise\

cruise insurance, I've been hearing so many pros and cons. I would love to hear what you folks that cruise lots think and do plus what you think is really important. ie; a
package, partial for luggage, missed planes or ships due to weather and the like.

Thanks, Jo
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2005, 02:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: cruise insurance

We used to always purchase travel insurance until we realized what we have paid so far could have bought us another cruise! So now we only purchase travel insurance when traveling internationally. If we travel with my spouse's elderly parents we also purchase insurance for those "just in case" scenarios. If you are going to buy insurance, I would go "the whole way" including air travel becuase that will be the most financially devistating if you miss the ship and try to catch up.
Old April 25th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You NEVER know what can happen. I think Travel Insurance is as important as clothing. You don't want to go naked.

One forced medi vac from a ship, and a hospital stay, and you could be in debt over $100,000 before any treatments.

Check out insuremytrip.com for price comparisons. Its not nearly as expensive as you might think. And can be VERY expensive if you don't have it.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 25th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Mbouck

We always bought insurance when my mother-inlaw was in the nursing home. Like Kuki said you never know what can happen so we still buy insurance especiaqlly when we are flying because we go mostly in March and weather in the Northeast can be very unpredictable.
We are doing the Crown Princess next June and I'm not sure about whether to get insurance since we have only to drive to the city. We will probably get it though because like I said you never know what can happen. Besides for only $49 per person it is worth that little piece of mind.

Mike
Old April 26th, 2005, 11:29 AM
CarolN

Default Re: Re: cruise insurance

We are also traveling on the Crown Princess next June. Where did you get tyravel insurance for $49? Is that per person? What does it include?

We will be driving to the port (I hope they have parking!) and have no worry about flight delays, etc,

Thanks
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Portsleft

Default Re: Re: Re: cruise insurance

Cruise Insurance ? We would NEVER travel without it. Case #1. We were going on a Royal Caribbean 12 day Canada/New England out of Boston. We booked a Mini-Suite. 10 days prior to sailing my wife, a normally very healthy gal had to have an Emergency Appendectomy. Insurance cost $200+. Received from insurance $4000+. Case #2. Just prior to a Princess cruise my mother-in-law suffered a mild stroke. Insurance cost $150+. Received from insurance $2800+. If it was not for the sum of about $400 we would have been out about $7000. Think it can't happen to you ? We didn't think it could happen to us! Another point. If you think the cruise lines will show any compassion in refunding or crediting think again. Insurance is such a small cost in the overall picture that it is foolish not to consider it.
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Passenger

To everyone that has answered my question I thank you very much. The TA said because we booked our flight through Princess that they would take the responsibilty of getting us to the ship from San Francisco. (I was worried about fog) also Van WA can be sometimes unpredictable too. But she said not to worry about the air travel.

Jo
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Bushwhacker

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: cruise insurance

Portsleft, you said it all. Anyone who reads your post and still goes without insurance - well, I wish them luck!
Old April 28th, 2005, 03:57 AM
j feingold

I would only buy the insurance for the medical coverage. If your medical insurance would not cover the expenses you could potentially incur on a cruise (Medicare may not, but a lot of employers may have plans that cover expenses for care and evacuation--mine does). I wouldn't want to have to come up with the cost of emergency medical treatment and an evacuation out of my pocket, but I would be willing to assume the risk for the cruise line's cancellation fees.

The companies that sell cruise insurance are in business to make a profit, and I expect that they pay out a lot less in claims than they take in in premium (I don't know, but I would guess it is only $.50 to $.75 on the dollar). As far as the cost of the cruise goes, I don't need to pay that kind of premium to cover the cost of the cruise. Expecially when the coverage I'm buying in only for the cruise line's cancellation fee. For example--if I pay $1,000 per person for a cabin, and an event causes me to have to cancel, I stand to lose the following amounts:
Nothing if the event happens at least 75 days before the cruise
My deposits if the event happens at least 57 days before the cruise
$500 (50%) if the event happens at least 29 days before
$750 (75%) if the event happens at least 15 days before

In my view, insuring against something for those amounts for such a limited amount of time is not worth the required premium.
Old April 28th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Bushwhacker

And it would cost you $20,000 if you had to be evacuated in case of an emergency.
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Feingold

Default Re: Re: Re: cruise insurance

If you read my entire email--I addressed emergency evacuation. Many employers have plans that cover medical expenses, including evacuation. If someone has that protection elsewhere, I sure don't need to pay a premium to duplicate coverage. My guess is that most people don't know whether they have coverage available through their employer. It may be worth checking. I happen to know that I am covered.
Old April 28th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Bushwhacker

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: cruise insurance

You are very fortunate.
The original poster wanted information and advice. This will be his/ her first cruise.
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:33 PM
j feingold

Yes, and my advice is to determine what insurance you already have, look at what you're buying with the cruise insurance, and determine if it's worth the price. If you have adequate coverage for medical expenses elsewhere, it's probably not worth the price (the coverage for trip cancellation if limited coverage for a very limited time).

If you're buying travel insurance expecting it to return more than you pay, it's a poor investment. Don't pay a premium for coverage you don't need.
Old April 29th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Bushwhacker

Okay - I agree that they should check their own insurance first. I don't believe, however, that many people are as well covered as you! I would think that few have med-evac coverage or coverage for a relative's illness. I do hope the original poster will re-read the following:

Author: Portsleft
Date: 04-26-05 12:23

Cruise Insurance ? We would NEVER travel without it. Case #1. We were going on a Royal Caribbean 12 day Canada/New England out of Boston. We booked a Mini-Suite. 10 days prior to sailing my wife, a normally very healthy gal had to have an Emergency Appendectomy. Insurance cost $200+. Received from insurance $4000+. Case #2. Just prior to a Princess cruise my mother-in-law suffered a mild stroke. Insurance cost $150+. Received from insurance $2800+. If it was not for the sum of about $400 we would have been out about $7000. Think it can't happen to you ? We didn't think it could happen to us! Another point. If you think the cruise lines will show any compassion in refunding or crediting think again. Insurance is such a small cost in the overall picture that it is foolish not to consider it.
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Feingold

You can use this type of story to encourage someone to buy any kind of insurance.

I doubt that the original poster has $7,000 at risk, and (unless Portsleft has been unlucky enough to have to cancel the only two cruises he has booked) he has had to pay more than $400 in insurance premium.

I wouldn't even presume to know what medical coverage anyone else has. Certainly there are a lot of people that will have gaps while traveling (such as those with only Medicare). I think everyone should have coverage for medical expenses (emergencies and/or evacuation). The amount at risk is too large.

On the other hand, the amount at risk if you have to cancel a cruise is much less. There is generally nothing at risk up to final payment, and only 50% at risk 30 days before the cruise. If somone thinks it is worth about $100/person to insure this, that is their perogative.

I would just suggest that anyone consider their own circumstances (what they need and what they have). For me, the only reason I would consider the insurance is if there was a gap in my medical coverage--which there isn't.