Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2005, 05:04 AM
shawnjessie

Default Are you allowed to leave the ship on embarkment day?

We were thinking about putting our things on the ship and then going off to get some water and drinks for the cabin vie cab.
Does anyone know once you get on the ship on the day of embarkment can you leave and come back?
Or would it be best to just go to the store first?
Thanks Shawn
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Are you allowed to leave the ship on embarkment day?

We checked in and then went off the ship in Puerta Rico on the Golden Princess last May. We were gone about 3 hours and had no problem getting back on ship. You will have to go back through security at the port, but that was pretty quick too. Be sure to tell the guys taking those awful cruise pictures as passengers board that you have already been photographed and are returning to ship.

You are on the May 14 Caribbean Princess aren't you?

Have a happy cruise!!!

Vicki

Caribbean Princess 05/28/2005
Golden Princess 05/23/2004
Tropicale 04/2000
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Admiral

as long as you have your sign and sail card,which is your id to get on and off the ship you may come and go as you please, we come in the day before so that we can do any of our last minute errands the day before or in the morning before we check-out of the hotel and leave for the pier.
Old April 28th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Shawn,

Keep in mind that, depending where and when you are embarking, you might have trouble finding a cab to take you to a store. If there are lots of ships embarking and debarking on the same day the cabs will be very busy. On our last cruise we were staying in Galveston the night after, so we waited to get off the ship so the "flyers and drivers" could get off first, and we still had trouble getting a cab. It took about 30 minutes.

Also, once you get on board, you'll probably not want to leave! Too much to do!

I bring some drinks (2 six packs of Diet Coke) and some snacks in a small carry-on along with my regular carry-on luggage. Then I use the small carry-on for all those things I MUST buy on the cruise!

So, I guess, to make a long story short (too late!) I think you should just take your drinks with you.

Have a wonderful cruise,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

I'd shop before you get to the terminal. You never know how busy security will be, what traffic will be in the town, what can happen. My comfort level is highest when I've got everything I need and am firmly planted on the ship - they can't pry me off!

Seriously, I once had a horrific 45 minute, 5 mile cab ride from the hotel to the pier in Fort Lauderdale, due to a tanker truck blowing up on the road. I was still there in plenty of time, but wouldn't want to be cutting it short ever. I did have all my "stuff" purchased, which is what I would advise you to do.

Guess it all depends on your comfort level.

Bon Voyage!
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:42 AM
shawnjessie

Default Re: Re: Are you allowed to leave the ship on embarkment day?

When I orginally posted I was thinking that we (4 of us) would have all our luggage. It just occured to me that they (the ship) will retrive the luggage at the airport and I will only have my carry on.
If I am correct it may very well be just as easy to go straight to the store as the last 2 post suggest. I personally can fly in at the last minute but the comfort level of my traveling friends is "VERY STIFF". . They are already giving me warning to get them back early on our shore trips because they worry alot.
Thank you for the various thoughts. It's it wonderful we all think differently!!!!
Shawn
Old April 29th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Admiral

shawn- you are responsible for your luggage, the cruise line doesn't get your luggage from the plane to the ship. You have to claim your bags and get them to a taxi or shuttle or whatever transportation you are using- even ships transfers you have to get your luggage to the bus.
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:36 AM
shawnjessie

Default Re: Re: Are you allowed to leave the ship on embarkment day?

Oh................................Ok
I am sure someone in my party knows what's going on.
and I'm in charge of sight seeing.
Shawn