Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:42 PM
L&S80

Default Diamond review

Ok.........to start with thankfully our weatherman was wrong!!! It was suppose to rain on Saturday the 14th......it didn't it was really quite warm......so that was a plus......
We got to the pier early......there was some problem with a group of travelers & they were fingerprinting, checking etc........so there was a long line getting into the terminal. The passengers getting off had to weave around the ones trying to get in.......glad it was nice.....<S>

I can tell you at pier 30 for Princess you have NO problem talking ALL of your luggage into the terminal & onto the ship yourself......we got to a split in the line where you were to drop off your luggage & I asked if we could just take it with us......the man said you have to walk about 1/2 a mile ( didn't seem like it ) but if you wanted it was fine. So we took our luggage.....just one suitcase & a carry on......I pack light......<S>. Check in was fast once they got the others off.....the only complaint I had was....now don't flame me, I know it's not thier fault......they kept bringing wheelchair passengers into our lane & we had to wait......not sure why but that was a little bit of a pain.

After they started processing it was about a hour & we were on the ship......not bad time.
Then when we got on the ship.......we went to lunch...buffet of course.....they were serving us, had to use the sanitiser for our hands......then we found out why......
Again....please don't flame me.....I have nothing against Austrailians or English.....but there were 5 big groups of them that had gone through the Rockies before boarding the ship & some of them had the norwalk.......after they boarded the ship there was 20 cases, by Sunday there was 200 from them.......then by Tuesday night there was no new cases so things were a bit back to normal. How to I know this??? Heard it from the horses mouth so to say.........the people themselves & the waitstaff.......service in the buffet was terrible when they had to serve us.......you would get like one sausage at breakfast & you had to beg for more.......you always had to look for a seat....one said was almost always closed.....lots of people complaining to purser but they didn't seem to care......just little things like that.....So once that was cleared up we had a great time........

Being it was only the second trip to Alaska the staff was still a bit off you could say.......they were dressed for sub zero weather....<S> But they were warming up so to say by the end......

The service in the diningroom was great....our waiter....Juan.....made us eat too much<S> The first night I asked for the Love Boat.....he said it was only on the last night menu.......but he said he would ask 'his boss'.........so I got FOUR Love Boats every night after that!!!!!! Juan forced Larry to eat 7 lobsters......how can you refuse your waiter??? <S> Couldn't of had a better waiter.....was always there to get you what you wanted......
The ship was very clean........no spots or tears to ruin my vacation!!!! <EG>
The pools......inside & out......were well used & not just by kids........they closed the pools on day....rough water.....

My SIL bought a soda card, it was $22.50 & NEVER had any problems getting a soda......she could have small, medium or large, except in the diningroom & there they just kept bringing them to her. Our ice tea was always full in the diningroom.
Was never any pressue to buy drinks in the lounges & when we did it was a good drink....not weak at all......

Getting off the ship.....
Luggage
I think this was the easiest I've ever had.......we didn't do the self because we drove & was in no hurry......after the ship was cleared by customs we were off the ship in 90 minutes....about half way thru the colors.....small amounts of luggage per color.....very easy to find your luggage.

Customs
I have never seen the lines so short......they had their act together for this.....when we got to customs there was one person before us......Had like 3-5 lines......for Americians. Had a line for different countries......made it very nice.....someone there to direct you to the correct line also.......

All in all it was a very enjoyable cruise.....very relaxing......some weather problems made us get into Victoria 2 hours late so some were upset about cancelled tours......Oosterdam was also late getting in. They docked just before us.

Nice to be home....missed y'all....hope to catch ya in chat Monday night....

Sharon

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:57 PM
Juan C.

Default Re: Diamond review

Alaska on the Diamond princess or princess is the best way to go, I went last May and we had a great time, we didnt go to shore in Victoria because strong winds but that didnt stop us from haveing a great cruise.
That was my 4 Princess cruise and I will cruise princess again.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Bushwhacker

Default Re: Diamond review

"Check in was fast once they got the others off.....the only complaint I had was....now don't flame me, I know it's not thier fault......they kept bringing wheelchair passengers into our lane & we had to wait......not sure why but that was a little bit of a pain."

Sharon, this is an explanation, not a flame (I wouldn't dream of flaming you!).
The ship has a certain number of crew, and a certain number of wheelchairs, available for ALL passengers needing the service to be helped aboard. Each "pusher" and chair must make several trips. Therefore they do get priority checking in.

Hope this helps you (and others) to understand.

B