Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Margieant

Default Transatlantic- North Sea, Sept. rough weather?

We're "thinking about" the Princess cruise on Sept. 12th, leaving from Copenhagen and ending up 27 days later in Fort Lauderdale. We enjoy cruising but I must admit that I am a little nervous about being in the North Sea at that time of year. The temps that Princess shows in their weather section are fairly cold. I also get seasick if the seas are rough.

Help please with your opinions! Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:07 PM
uncmarts

Default Re: Transatlantic- North Sea, Sept. rough weather?

Sounds like to me that this isn't the cruise for you.
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Admiral

couple of things to consider.
1. September is the height of hurricane season in the Atlantic. A Hurricane in Florida - depending upon its size can stir up the seas as far north as New England.
2. on the up side the ships have wonderful stabalizers to minimize the movement. Since you get seasick i would highly recommend that you talk to your doctor about getting a prescription for the patch.
3. I don't know about the North Sea, but the Atlantic can be very fickle, she can be nice and smooth or she can be on the rough side. Its your call
Old June 8th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Belle

We had done this cruise two years ago. I was expecting it to be rough seas at times, but was pleasantly suprised that it was pretty calm. I suppose that it is always a risk we take when cruising at this time of year. The temperatures were pretty cold , around 40 degrees.
Old June 8th, 2005, 08:11 PM
susancruzs

It's the luck of the draw! One time I did England to Miami and it was very smooth and warmer than I expected for Sept. Other time (also Sept.) it was quite the opposite, quite cool and heavy seas almost all the way but the ssNorway handled rough seas very well.

This year I'm on the Sea Princess in September, England to New York via Iceland and Greenland so I'll see how it is on a smaller ship!

There is no way to pre-judge the motion of the ocean!

Susie
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Admiral

We have been across the North Atlantic twice at that time of the year. On our first cruise, the seas were above 40 feet on three days and above 55 feet on one day. On the second cruise, the sea was relatively calm (I am not kidding) with 20 feet on a few days and 30 fweet on one days. The weather was cold on the decks of both ships., and the temperature was between 50 and 60 at most ports.

Pick another cruise if you can't stand rough seas or cold. The odds are very high that you will encounter one or both.