Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2005, 12:28 AM
First Mate

Default Re: New Thread for CM Island Princess Hawaii Cruise 1.6.06

Flights all booked, going to LA day before need to find a hotel for the night
grant

Old August 27th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Karon Thompson

Kuki:
Count on Jim for the golf. Also, thank you very much for thinking of the golf widows. Jim was unsure about golfing because he felt guilty leaving me on my own on those islands. Since you are planning activities for us while you guys are golfing, Jim is looking forward to hitting the links. What a good husband he is to worry about leaving me all alone while he is golfing. Now we are both happy.
Sounds like this cruise will be so much fun thanks to your efforts, Kuki. We all really appreciate it.
Oh by the way, have you given any thought to doing a group to Australia and New Zealand? What a great trip that would be.
Karon
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:51 PM
SharB

Hi Everyone!
I just called Crowne Plaza regarding the LA Harbor Hotel aka Sheraton and was told that the Park & Sail (and I'm sure the Fly & Sail) packages would be available for us to make reservations on October 3rd. Unless something better comes along, I'll be calling to find out the rate and will probably book it.

Hope you are all well.

Shar
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Hi everyone. I'm afraid I have to announce that I will no longer be joining you all on this cruise to Hawaii. I was so looking forward to meeting you all, but circumstances are just not favourable at this time. However, if any of you have booked the Cruise of the Century for New Years 06/07, then I will get to meet you then - I can't wait!

donna

Old September 5th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

So sorry to hear that Donna ... I did just find on the G/L board a couple who will also be on the 1/6th sailing ... I told Henry to check out this thread. He asked how Cruisemates cruises are, etc.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old September 9th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Mona and Dan

We are planning to go to LA a few days early. Any suggestions as to whether we should stay in LA, or closer to the port, perhaps Long Beach? I'm thinking of doing a tour of the area, but really haven't made any decisions.
Is there a group email going? I think I remember reading something about that a while back.
Can't wait for January!
Old September 10th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Hi Mona and Dan..

I haven't sent out a group e mail in awhile, but will likely to another soon, and will add you to the list.

I also have done nothing as yet about a hotel room. One of the folks in the group offered to do some work on this. Maybe I can organized on getting some info together soon.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 12th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Beginner

Hi Folks!

My wife and I are thrilled to be joining this group on the 1-6-06 cruise to Hawaii. I've done a litle research on San Pedro area accomodations and offer you the results. A very big disclaimer: I have never stayed at or even laid eyes on any of these places. The following information is from intrernet research, AAA Guidebook, telephone calls to the properties, and Shar's helpful input.

There apparently are four major lodging properties in San Pedro near the cruise terminal:

Crowne Plaza L.A. Harbor Hotel (formerly Sheraton)
Add: 601 S. Palos Verdes St. (Across street from terminal)
Tel: 310-519-8200 / 888-303-1746
Web: www.ichotelsgroup.com
Shuttle: To/Fr LAX - Yes (Prime Time Shuttle) To/Fr Pier - Yes (Hotel Van)
Parking: Yes Secure: Yes Length of Cruise: Yes
AAA Rating: 3 Diamond
Fly/Sail: RT LAX/Hotel/Pier/LAX, Room, Breakfast, Champagne
$199 + tax (likely to be about $10 more in 2006).
Park/Sail: Same amenities as above w/o airport transportation $149
Comments: No reservations taken until 10/3 (per Shar). Some negative reviews on traveladvisor.com (mostly before Crowne Plaza acquisition).

Marina Hotel san Pedro
Add: 2800 Via Cabrillo Marina (private boat marina south end of harbor)
Tel: 310-514-3344
Web: www.marinahotelsanpedro.com
Shuttle To/Fr LAX - No (Own arrangements) To/Fr Pier - Yes (Hotel Van)
Parking: Yes. Secure: Yes. Length of Cruise: Yes
AAA Rating: 3 Diamonds
Park/Sail: $149 - Room, Breakfast, Champagne, Shuttle. Room only $105
Comments: Some neg. reviews. Looks like pleasant location for evening stroll. Offering group rate of $99 if 10 or more rooms booked (must sign contract guaranteeing that number).

Best Western Sunrise Hotel
Add: 525 S. Harbor Blvd. (Closest property to terminal)
Tel: 310-548-1080 / 800-356-9609
Web: None (try bestwestern.com)
Shuttle To/Fr LAX - No. To/Fr Pier - Yes (Hotel Van)
Parking: Yes. Secure: Yes. Length of Cruise: No (see below)
AAA Rating: 2 Diamonds
Park/Sail: $139 - Room, Breakfast, Champagne, Shuttle, 7-days parking (additional @ $8/day). Room only $98 (AAA, AARP, etc.). $109 Std.
Comments: Some neg. reviews. Continental Breakfast

Holiday Inn San Pedro
Add: 111 S. Gaffey St. (<1 mile from pier)
Tel: 310-514-1414 / 800-248-3188
Web: www.holidayinnsanpedro.com
Shuttle To/Fr LAX - Yes (VIP Shuttle) To/Fr Pier - Yes (Hotel Van)
Parking: Yes. Secure: Yes. Length of Cruise: No (see below)
AAA Rating: 3 Diamonds
Fly/Sail: $149 - LAX/Hotel/Pier, Room, Champagne, Breakfast ($189 w/ rtn shuttle to LAX)
Park/Sail: $149 - Same amenities as above, 7-days parking (additional @ $9/day). Room only $99 (AAA)
Comments: Some positive reviews on traveladvisor.com

As I said, I can't give any recommendations regarding any of these places. Heck, I can't even vouch for the accuracy of this information, but here it is, for what it's worth. My wife, Debbie and I look forward to meeting you all onboard, if not before.

Warmest Regards,
John
Old September 12th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Admiral

John...
Nice to see you posting, and THANKS for sharing the research.

I have looked at nothing for lodging (and I need a pre and post cruise night). Would love to spend our precruise night where other cruisemates are staying.. so we could have a cruisemates get together

Why doesn't everyone report in on their hotel pre cruise plans, so we can get some idea.

I'll try and get things together this weekend, and send out a group e-mail, asking people to post their hotel and arrival plans here.

Initial reaction... is the Crowne Plaza sounds good to me.
Old September 13th, 2005, 12:25 AM
First Mate

We are flying down the night before and are looking into hotels for pre cruise.
The Crowne Plaza sounds good to me 8)
Grant
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Passenger

hey everyone just figured out this new site. let me advise you guys who are coming to san pedro on the 5th of jan, we just booked our room at the crown plaza. you can now reserve on line. we have stayed there before and its a nice place. you can look out your window and see the ships about two blocks away. it really gets you ready to cruise. jeff and gaynell have booked their room also and i think mike and robbie and vickie and bill and the rest of our group. ir's getting closer everyday. it's time to get this link going again.
Old September 15th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Crowne Plaza

Hi Rick and Sue!
I just tried the Crowne Plaza web site and there wasn't anything for package deals. Did I miss something or were you just booking a room without the Fly and Sail or Park and Sail package

Shar
Old September 16th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Passenger

hey sharb sorry you had trouble with the hotel. we booked the room without the fly or park feature. we all are chartering a bus to get us to the hotel. when i was there(at the hotel in july) i was told we could park in their lot for the lenght of the cruise. there was a rate of 149.00 for the room and an additional 20.00 for parking. why you cant book that now, i dont know. sorry for the misinformation. i thought they were ready to take reservations. thats what i get for thinking lol. anyway keep in touch and good luck on the room(whenever they decide to take your reservation)
Old September 16th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Admiral

I've gone ahead and booked the Crowne Plaza. I am not driving, so don't need the parking. The Internet rate I got was $142.
Old September 16th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Crowne Plaza San Pedro

Good News! I was able to book my Park and Sail package this afternoon!!! If you need a package (park & sail or fly & sail) please call Megan directly at the hotel. Her number is 888-890-9888 (this works in the states, don't know about outside) My package cost $169 + tax.

Shar
Old September 17th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Beginner

We have just joined the cruisemates group and have not heard from Kuki yet(thought Nancy Bogert had indicated that we would). Have really enjoyed reading all of these communications. We live in Raleigh, NC and will be coming to LA a day early like most of you. Will look into the Crowne Plaza--one probably stupid question. Is the prices you are talking about per room or per person? Does the fly/stay package really include transfers from the airport to hotel as well as back to airport from the ship? Look forward to hearing about everyone's plans for each of the islands. Any info about the luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center? January will be here before we know it!!!!!! Dottie and Charlie DeFrancis
Old September 17th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Welcome to the Group!

Hi Dottie and Charlie! I'm sure you'll hear from Kuki as soon as he's able. Hosting this cruise and responding to the boards isn't his only job, so please be patient.

You've probably heard this a million times, and it's true - there are no stupid questions. I'm not sure what price you mean, the one I quoted is for parking for the duration of the cruise and one night's stay for two people. I know Crowne Plaza offers a free shuttle to and from the port and to a few places around San Pedro. You'll need to call Megan on Monday to see if they still offer a package for round trip pick up from LAX to the hotel and return. If you would be so kind as to let us all know what you find out, I'm sure it would be really helpful to others who are still looking for a hotel.

Assuming they still offer the fly/stay package (they most likely do), it would include transfers from LAX to the hotel and back to LAX from the ship. Before they became Crowne Plaza, they were Sheraton and they only offered the shuttle to and from LAX, not the other airports in the Los Angeles area.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Shar

Old September 17th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Hi ya Dottie and Charles! Welcome Aboard!

Delighted that you have decided to join the group. I know it's going to be a great group, and a terrific cruise.

It's actually been some time since I sent out a "group" e-mail, and that's what Nancy would have been referring to. But there will be another one coming out relatively soon, and I'll make sure you're on the e-mail list.

As Shar said, the room rates at the hotel are for the room (for 2 people), not per person.

We'll also try and arrange some sort of get together the evening of Jan.5 for everyone staying there, or in the area.

In about mid November we'll also start having some line online chats for everyone in the group, and that'll be a good time to find out what everyone has planned in the islands.

If there was a lot of interest I was going to try and get a discount for a Luau, but it seems most going have been to Hawaii before, so there were only 4 or 5 couples interested in doing a Luau.
No reason that everyone who's interested can't at least get together and go, and I can help with those arrangements.

We are going to arrange a sunset gettogether in Honolulu at the House Without a Key, for those who are wandering around in Honolulu that evening.

But there will be LOTS more info coming in the coming weeks and months.

In the meantime, keep posting here, and we'll all get to know each other a bit, and continue making plans.
Old September 18th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Beginner

Kuki--- How are you getting from the airport to the hotel? Thanks for info
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottiedef
Kuki--- How are you getting from the airport to the hotel? Thanks for info
Hi Dottie.

I haven't really done much planning on that issue yet. I may see about renting a car at LAX, and dropping it near the hotel. Failing that, likely to just get a taxi.
Old September 20th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Beginner

What about this supershuttle I keep hearing about???
Old September 20th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Beginner

Default Super Shuttle

Super Shuttle (www.supershuttle.com). Their most recent price one-way from LAX to the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro (They're still listing it as the Sheraton) in a shared van is $17.00 per person. You can reserve a private van (up to 7 passengers) for $72.00.
John
Old September 20th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Beginner

Default Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor Hotel

Just made my Fly and Sail reservation. Cost was $219 for my hubby and me. Includes transfers via Primetime Shuttle from airport to hotel and from port back to airport as well as room, breakfast and choice of a bottle of champagne or wine. Also get shuttle from hotel to pier in the morning. Thought this was a good deal since the shuttle was going to cost $17 each way(total of $68 for shuttle) so room comes out to $151. Not as good as Kuki's internet rate but close. I don't want to start out finding a better deal than our fearless leader!!!!! Just thought you would want to know that they ARE taking the fly and sail reservations. Megan was not there so I talked to Jerilyn(or something like that).
Old September 20th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Beginner

John,
Thanks for the info on hotels. We booked the Crown Plaza. Has anyone had login problems since the change? We had a problem til this afternoon and Paul Motter fixed it for us. Out email still isn't right but at least we can post.
Jim
Old September 20th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Jim and Karon..
Glad u managed to find your way back :o My e mail was down yesterday, but if you e mail me I can look into why your email isnt right.

If you go to PROFILE, you can check it and make corrections yourself to.
Old September 20th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Beginner

Default Hi Everyone

We (Tim and Joy) will be on this cruise with you all. Wish we had know about the great prices here before we booked. This will be Tim's 7th and my 8th cruise, 3rd with Princess, and 1st one that wasn't a 7 days cruise. We are really looking forward to all those days at sea. We will probably be staying at the San Pedro Crowne Plaza the night before departure. Just got to figure out how to get an In-N-Out burger from there. This sure sounds like a fun group and hope to get to meet you.
Old September 21st, 2005, 07:49 AM
Beginner

Hi all, wifey joined message board last night so I didn't want her to get too far ahead of me (like I believe that's not going to happen). We are really excited about this cruise. As she said in her note, this is our first cruise of more than 7 days. We spent 6 days on Oahu 2 years ago and wished we had 2 weeks! We are looking forward to seeing the other islands. I listed golf as one of my interests but since I'm am at best in the hacker category, I suppose I'll stick to sightseeing. I've taken enough divots out of these beautiful Tennessee mountains, better not to do the same to a nice Hawaiian course. Joy is green with envy over the group prices! She is locally famous for her travel bargain hunting! Looking forward to meeting y'all. We are probably staying at the Crowne Plaza so we'll most likely see some of you there on the 5th.

See ya soon!!!
Old September 21st, 2005, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Tim and Joy.. Welcome Aboard!!

Delighted you found us.... and you are welcome to join in any of our group activities that you'd like to, no matter where you booked.

We're an inclusive rather than exclusive group

If you like I add your e-mail address to our "group" list, and as the cruise gets closer you'll get kept up to date on our plans.

With all the sea days on this one, we are going to plan some fun events to "perk up" those sea days :o
Old September 22nd, 2005, 12:46 PM
Passenger

Hi Gang,
We have been very busy over the past few weeks. My girl friend and I when down to the village for lunch one afternoon. We saw there was an open house on some new condo's on the river so we went for a look. To make a long story short I bought a place. Down sizing from a 3600 sq. ft. house to 1300 sq.ft. Sold our house in 4 days had back up offers. So quick I can't think. But one thing is for sure we will really need this cruise after all this. Can hardly wait!!!!!!!!!!! SUN, FUN, and SHOPPING.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:00 PM
Admiral

WOW Kelly.. you really are the shopping queen

Go for lunch and shopping and buy a condo, just because you didn't see any shoes you liked.