Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:27 AM
Beginner

Default Help me choose...CP or SP...I want seafood.

Hi guys...newbie here. I've been lurking alot and am ready to choose my cruise.

I like the itinerary of Star Princess. Always wanted to go to Jamaica and I know now that there is a Margaritaville there also. Also heard from a friend that Stingray City is a must do.

Then the Carribean Princess has the balcony dinner with lobster, which I love the idea. I've also read some reviews that mentioned lobster claws, king crab legs and lobster tails on the buffet. But I'm not sure about itinerary (St. Thomas, St. Maarten & Princess Cays).

Can we get the same amount of seafood on the Star ? Can we get the balcony dinner on the Star ? Should I not worry about the itinerary ? Are all ports in the Caribbean kind of "the same" ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. This will be our first cruise and our 20th anniv. if that makes any difference.

Post Edited (06-23-05 10:46)
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Help me choose...CP of SP...I want seafood.

honestly your itineary should be your first priority, each island is special and unique in its own way.
I know that balcony dinners are available on the Grand Class ships. It costs extra.
Seafood of some kind is on the menu in the main dining rooms every night.
Unless the menu specifies Maine or New England lobsters you will be getting rock lobsters - not the same- they are pretty good in a Thermadoir or Bisque but not something that you would want steamed if you are used to New England lobsters.
Old July 7th, 2005, 06:13 PM
karenbfl

Default Re: Help me choose...CP or SP...I want seafood.

I was on the Star Oct 2004 and we ate at the buffett everynight except for the first night. I honestly do not recall any seafood of great amount on there. We did the Western tour that you are talking about and loved every stop ... except Jamaica. We are going on the Caribbean Princess this Oct and are going to the Eastern C. I would recommend the Star in a heartbeat. Don't let not having seafood deter you from going on that beautiful ship. We would have booked the Star again but it was going to the same places during the time we wanted to go. No matter what ship you choose you will have a great cruise.

Karen
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Bushwhacker

kdudley3, I can empathize! We, too, love seafood. It can certainly add to the enjoyment of a cruise. Nicecara was nice enough to post these photos. We're going on the Star this year, but next year on the Caribbean Princess. Yummmm! Take a look:
http://community.webshots.com/album/285271206ygHrvX
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:49 PM
JLV

Honestly, the lobster dinner on the balcony is a farce, or at least my futile attempt to arrange this for my wife and I on our anniverssary cruise last year on the Diamond. It was difficult to attempt to arrange and the end result was not what I imagined based on the description from the Princess website. HOWEVER, that said, the person that answered the room service phone turned out to be our best server in the Santa Fe dining room. He arranged for food from the main dining room on a formal night to be brought to our cabin and I was able to serve my wife wife on our balcony. Again, not what I anticipated, but it ended up working out okay for us.
Old July 10th, 2005, 05:05 PM
fla gang

Default Re: Re: Help me choose...CP or SP...I want seafood.

The Caribbean Princess does a chilled seafood extravaganza in Cafe Carib @ 6pm on the day of departure and I think also on thurs.

Barry
Old July 11th, 2005, 05:24 AM
bjkeen

I looked on the capers. Seafood is served on Saturday, Sunday and Thursday.
Yum Yum.
Old July 11th, 2005, 01:37 PM
fla gang

Now Becky! On this message board we have to refer to them as Princess Patters not capers. That is the OTHER cruise line.

Your Brother
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Help me choose...CP or SP...I want seafood.

Why not book the Caribbean Princess and just go on the Western Caribbean itinerary? It alternates Western and Eastern. And the Western includes Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman, so you can do Margaritaville and the stingrays.
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Help me choose...CP or SP...I want seafood.

Jo-Ann - that's exactly what I decided to do. I'll probably book the May 20th cruise, my husband's b-day is the 21st. We'll celebrate with lobster and crab...YYYYUUUUMMM!!

Thanks for all that posted.