Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Hope Owen

Default Grand Princess?Updated

I am thinking about the Grand Princess cruise out of Galveston for next years spring break vacation. I will be traveling with my husband and two teenagers. I have not cruised in over 20 years so I do imagine things have changed quite a bit.
I have heard that the Grand is an older ship and is in need of refurbishing. Has anyone heard when this is going to take place? Also, is it worth the extra money to go with a balcony room? Every room I have seen available is near an elevator. How do you go about choosing a differant room?
Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2005, 06:59 PM
D=Town

Default Re: Grand Princess?Updated

I cruised trans-atlantic last May from FFL to Copenhagen on the Grand for 17 days.
I can confirm, the Grand is still in excellent shape.
Sure you can nit-pic. But, when I left her, she was still truly...GRAND!

I always book either veranda or mini-suites for the obvious reasons.
They're's great!
I love to eat breakfast from room service on my slice of heaven.
Also, verandas afford you the opportunity to take video or shoot photos right from your own room.
I'm sure there are many other features that speak well for verandas.
In my book, if you can pony up the extra $ for them, they're well worth it....
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:11 AM
First Mate

Yep, she's old, almost 7 years! It's amazing what passes as "old" these days. The ship is in great shape.

Old June 30th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Hope - with two teenagers in your cabin with you i would definately go for the balcony - just to have the extra room, especially when it comes time to get ready for dinner, you and your DH could sit out on the balcony having a cocktail while the kids are taking their showers and getting ready. I love having breakfast out on the balcony in my jammies reading the ships daily paper.
Being near an elevator is not a big deal, the elevators themselves are fairly quiet., and unless someone is screaming by the elevators most voices are muffled.. We like being near the elevators and main staircases for the convenience.
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:32 AM
HOPE

Default Re: Re: Grand Princess?Updated

tHANKS FOR THE INPUT. I have another question. Do you think there are enough activities on the Grand for two teenagers? I keep hearing Carnival and Royal Carribean have more planned activities for teens. Thanks
Old August 28th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Grand Princess?Updated

We are cruising on the Grand out of Galveston on April 1st, 2006. We have 4 teens going with us....18(f), 18(f), 15(f), and 14(m). Plus my DH and I. I am in my late 30's and he in hid mid 40's. We have cruised twice on Carnival and once on the NCL Norway (before it's demise). I am addicted to these boards when a cruise is impending and I had read many posts about the Norway not having many kids or teens on board. My kids were pleasently surprised to meet up with the best bunch of about 75 teens! They all "hung out" all week and had a great time. It has been three years and my oldest still is in Email contact with several of them. I think there are teens and kids on just about any cruise and especially during Spring Break! Let me know if you cruise the same week as us and we will all have to "get together".
Old August 28th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Rick Wright

My wife & I were on the Grand (out of Galveston) this past April (2005). It is a beautiful ship. I belive it was dry docked around August 2004 for refurbishment. An excellent job was done. This was our 1st cruise on Princess & we've booked another for April 2006 out of Florida. The was by far the best cruise & best ship we've been on. This was our 4th cruise. As far as the balcony, we booked our 1st one on our 2nd cruise & now we're hooked. Balconies are the way to go!

Rick
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Sandy M

Get a balcony, but stay away from the elevator and stairs.

Are you booking trough a Travel Agent you can speak too, or are you booking on line.

TA will have a better selection than web sites.

I was on the Grand twice. Last year a group of us were on the Grand out of Galveston. The cabins that show the stairway or elevator are noisy and the Cabin Stewards usually will park their carts right next to those cabins....

Try to booka BC Mid ship on Baja or BB or BA on Caribe Deck (BB and BA are larger cabin and balcony.
If you booked a BD then get an Aft cabin.

If you need any other info, email me direct at:
***edited to remove commercial advertising***

Sandy M
Old January 8th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Admiral

When I was on the Grand in '04, a teen was standing near our small group and asked if we were having a good time aboard. When asked about her experience, she stated that she has been on many cruises with her parents and that this was the worst one. She said, happily, that Carnival was the best. Out of the mouth of babes...

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:13 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

You know kids! Maybe she just didnt see a cute boy she was interested in! I wouldnt listen to one kid...Ive read ppl had a horrible time on ships that Ive been on,and had a great time myself! Dot
Old January 10th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Beginner

We took our 15 year old with us on the Grand over the holidays last week and he loved every minute of it. There was usually something going on in the Off Limits area, or he would find other things to do if there wasn't.
As far as a balcony goes, if you can pay the extra cost, it really is well worth it. We loved reading, relaxing, or just having a drink on our balcony. And we were quite close to the elevators, mid-deck on Baha, and were never bothered by the noise.