Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2005, 04:48 PM
Beginner

Default Sapphire Princess 8/21 alaska

Anyone going to Alaska 8/21/05 on Sapphire Princess. Would love to corespond

Bob
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2005, 03:28 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to 35yoCabinMateforANYCRUISE
Default Re: Sapphire Princess 8/21 alaska

Hello,
Do you know anyone that wants to share an Alaskan cabin?
Long shot I know, Thanks , Wes

Old July 5th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Feingold

6 of us going. Ages 77, 54, 46, 21, 15 and 4. 3 of us have been to Alaska on Princess twice. Also sailed on the Diamond Princess (sister ship to the Sapphire) last December, and loved the ship.
Old July 5th, 2005, 05:40 PM
otto

Me and my husband, 29 and 29 will be on that ship, cannot wait!!!
Old July 8th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Sapphire Princess 8/21 alaska

Hello Feingolds

6 of you, are you guys the Brady Bunch ? Alice and Sam the Butcher coundn't make it ?

This is my first time to Alaska, so be gentle. Any advice you have as far as clothing,shore trips,etc would be apreciated. I am going with a large Hibernian group from New York ( I'm not Irish) There are over 100 of us on the ship - You have been warned ! Seriously, it's mostly older, retired people. I went to Ireland with them 2 years ago and really enjoyed it.

Bob
Old July 8th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Beginner

Hello Otto's
Are you guys related to Otto Von Bismark > He had a large ship named after him in
WW1 and it sank ! That could be a bad omen. Anyway, I glad to see it won't be all families and old people on this cruise (I'm 44) Check out the internet cam's on the princess web site. The Sapphire is in Alaska right now. The other cam is a wedding chaple. So you guys can renew your vows or marry some other people while the internet watches
I have cruised before, but not to Alaska. Another poster to this message board has been to Alaska twice before. I'm hoping we can exchange information and build some rapport as our cruise approches.

Bob
Old July 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM
otto

-laugh-
no, not related to otto von bismark...
i heard from my TA that it's fully booked...so it will be a lot of people there!!!
what i learned so far is to bring clothes in LAYERS!
umbrella, warm hat and glove if you are going to the glaciers, and wear sneaker, not hiking boots.
as for excursion, already booked with direct venders instead of the ships', according to Karen16 over at the alaska board, it's much better.
haven't gotten my cruise doc yet, did you get it?
oh boy...a month to go!!!!
Old July 20th, 2005, 08:31 AM
detonics96

Just returned form the 7/10 Sapphire trip to Alaska.
Good advice to plan on dressing in "layers" for shore trips. Temps. of mid 50s was typical with exception of first stop. A nautica type rain jacket and sweat shirt did pretty well by me.
Enjoy your Trip.
Old July 20th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Feingold

Default Re: Re: Re: Sapphire Princess 8/21 alaska

Just me, my wife, 3 daughters, and an aunt--does that qualify as the Brady Bunch? As far as shore excursions, the ones that give you a birds eye view are great. I've done the helicopter landing on a glacier twice (out of Juneau). We're doing the float plane to Misty Fjord and boat back (or vice versa) this time out of Ketchikan. I've done a sea plane before and loved it. I'd also recommend Buchardt Gardens in Victoria. It's been a while since I've been there at night, but my recollection is that it's spectacular when it's lit up--and we stop there at night.

I'd highly recommend taking some time before and/or after to see some of Seattle and/or Vancouver (Vancouver is one of my favorite cities). We are going to Vancouver afterwards, and are going to a performance of Bard on the Beach--which is a Shakespeare play in a tent in Vanier Park, near the water.

I'm rarin' to go--too bad it's still a month off.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:10 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the advice

Any excursions really impress you ?
Old July 22nd, 2005, 01:21 PM
Beginner

Hello Von Bismarks,
I only deal with German royalty. It saves alot of time when I meet new people.
Recieved my cabin number the other day - will be on the baja deck. TA suggested I go on princess's web site, click on personalize my cruise, fill in my name and booking number, and enter some basic information. (Name, address, emergency contact, etc) You can also set up your onboard account and link it to your credit card.
Found out I was assigned the late seating for dinner. It should save time when you check in. Also check out cruisereviews.com and portreviews.com for passenger reviews of ships and ports.
Old July 25th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Beginner

Default That's how we became the brady bunch !

I find your screen name interesting Feingold ... Find Gold. As you know, alaska had a gold rush many years ago. Will you cut me in on any gold you find ?
I want to ask you about the weather and how that may affect certain excursions. I understand if it rainy and cloudy you can't see much at the top of the Mt Roberts tramway, for example. Some people won't book untill they get there and check out the weather. Would this affect the White Pass Railway thing as well. Any experiance or insight you have would be appreciated by me by asking for less gold )
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Feingold

Default Re: That's how we became the brady bunch !

It has been a while since I've done the White Pass and Yukon Railway, but I did enjoy it. I would think that it would be one of the shore excursions that would be least affected by the weather. I think that the best excursions are those that get you up in air or on the water. They also tend to be the ones that are most affected by weather. I've done the helicopter landing on the Norris Glacier (out of Juneau) twice, and it's great. This time we are doing the helicopter to a glacier out of Skagway, and the float plane/cruise to and from Misty Fiord. We also have a friend in Juneau, and he is taking us out on his boat to look for whales.

I love the excursions that get you up in the air. I've also done a sea plan out of St Thomas and a helicopter to a volcano in Hawaii. I find sea planes and helicopters to be a lot of fun.

The problem with waiting to see what the weather is like before booking an excursion that involves flying, is that you may not be able to get the excursion you want. If you want to take an excursion that involves flying (highly recommended) I'd book it in advance. If weather isn't good it will be cancelled, it shouldn't cost you anything, and you can see about alternatives.

Sorry, never found any gold. I have to work for my money like anyone else.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 08:21 AM
Feingold

Default Re: Re: That's how we became the brady bunch !

August 21st is getting mighty close. We're getting excited. Check the cruise personalizer periodically to see if we've been upgraded, but no luck so far. When we were on the Diamond last year they upgraded us to a full suite, and I guess we got spoiled.

What have people scheduled in terms of shore excursions? Various people in our group are going on the Misty Fjords fly and cruise out of Ketchikan, the helicopter to a glacier out of Skagway, and a friend that lives in Juneau is taking us out on his boat to try to see some whales.

Any one spending some extra time in Seattle or Vancouver? They are both great cities--Vancouver is one of my favorites. We're spending about 2 1/2 days in Seattle and 2 days in Vancouver. In Seattle we're planning on Pike's Place Market, a Ducks tour, the Experience Music Project, and I'm not sure what else. In Vancouver we'll do Glanville Island, Stanley Park, Bard in the Park, and I'm not sure what else.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 10:14 AM
JennCandi

Feingold,

The duck tour in Seattle is great. I've done it twice. The underground city is really cool. Also you may want to go to the Space Needle. If you eat there, you don't have to pay to go up, but its a fairly expensive meal. Very good food though.

We are cruising out of Seattle in Sept, but unfortunately we won't have time to see the city. My husband's never been there so I would have liked to show him around. I guess next time.