CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Princess insurance? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/227848-princess-insurance.html)

Bushwhacker July 4th, 2005 12:26 PM

Princess insurance?

Can anyone give me a good reason NOT to buy Princess Gold insurance?

Donna July 4th, 2005 03:37 PM

Re: Princess insurance?

Hi BW,
Its always smart to get travel insurance, but you may want to check out the independent travel insurance companies as well. Here are a few, you can compare the different coverages:

Access America

CSA Travel Protection

Travelguard

AR July 4th, 2005 06:36 PM

Yes, some of the independent companies may give a better rate for roughly the same coverage if you want to do the research. Once you've taken five cruises with Princess and reach the Platium level of the Captain's Circle, they give you the Gold coverage for the price of the regular coverage, and that seems to be pretty tough to beat in our experience.

Bushwhacker July 4th, 2005 06:37 PM

Thank you Donna!
We've always used Travelguard, but we're up in the age bracket where it's now very expensive. Considering Travelex Lite and Princess, but we'd really like to know what reasons people have for NOT buying Princess Gold!
B

Bushwhacker July 4th, 2005 06:42 PM

Thank you AR!
That's what I was thinking. Can't think of any reason not to go with Princess, and was wondering if anyone has a good reason to do otherwise.
B

Donna July 4th, 2005 06:47 PM

Re: Re: Princess insurance?

Hi Bw,
I can't think of a reason, expecially if you get a break in the price, haven't heard either good or bad with Princess.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Bushwhacker July 5th, 2005 06:37 AM

Thanks again Donna! :-)

Sea-soned 1 July 6th, 2005 08:54 PM

Hi Bushwhacker,
If you have any health issues, you many want to check on the Princess insurance. From what I understand, you can not have had any changes in pre-exiisting conditions for 60 days before you buy the insurance, for them to be covered. We have bought Princess because of the free upgrade for Platinum and above, which makes it very affordable. We just PAY for the insurance with that 60 day period prior with no health changes. We just booked for Fall of 06, and paid for insurance today. :) Who knows what might come up between now and next November?

Bushwhacker July 7th, 2005 07:17 PM

Hi Sea-soned 1,
Thanks for your input. We've decided to go with Travelex Travelite. It's just a little more than Princess insurance, but one advantage it has is that it's the primary payer. That means that we don't have to hassle with our HMO first! We've had no health problems for the past 90 days (their pre-existing conditions qualification) and, like you, we feel that the sooner we buy it the better. As you said, who know what may happen between now and November 2006, eh?
Thanks again,
B

Susie P. July 7th, 2005 09:27 PM

I'm insurance challenged and hope someone can explan "pre-existing conditions" to us. My husband had two stents placed in one artery in May and went through a cardiac rehab program coming out stronger than before. We purchased Travelex Travelite the end of May for our cruise in September. Does this mean if he should have any stent pr heart related problems we aren't covered?

Bushwhacker July 8th, 2005 03:42 PM

Hi Susie,

He won't be covered for that particular artery. Otherwise, do not worry!

B

Susie P. July 8th, 2005 07:53 PM

That's good to know. Thanks, Bushwhacker.

Susie

vmom July 8th, 2005 11:17 PM

We bought Travelex Plus because it was great coverage, primary coverage, and cheaper for me to buy than Princess. I'm buying for 5 people, so it adds up.

Re: pre existing conditions. With many insurance policies, if you buy the insurance within a certain time of booking, then pre-exisiting conditions are covered. With Travelex as long as the insurance is purchased within 14 days of the booking, then there is a waiver for pre-exisiting conditions.

Check out: www.insuremytrip.com.

Susie P. July 9th, 2005 11:44 AM

We booked the cruise in February but didn't purchase the insurance until the end of May when we purchased airline tickets. Weve always booked our own flights - get the best price and flight times. My guess is the pre-existing conditions would be the 90 days before the end of May.

Bushwhacker July 9th, 2005 12:46 PM

Susie, we've always purchased the insurance at the time of booking. I believe you have something like 2 weeks after booking to buy the insurance in order for the pre-existing conditions waiver to be effective. I may be wrong, but please read your contract to be sure!

B

fla gang July 13th, 2005 01:58 PM

Most travel insurance agencies are 14 day limit after booking date. If you purchase insurance after the 14 day period most agencies won't cover a pre existing condition.

Barry

Susie P. July 13th, 2005 06:04 PM

That makes it difficult. We usually book our cruises well in advance and purchase our own airline tickets closer to cruise time. I guess we could guess at the cost of airline tickets and figure that into the cost of complete trip. After reading your responses, I guess we wouldn't have been covered for any pre-existing conditions on previous cruises. I'll know better next time. Thanks for the info. It just goes to show, we can learn something new everday.

cheifmom1 July 13th, 2005 08:38 PM

yu

Julie Lee July 15th, 2005 03:43 PM

Try this web site:

insuremytrip.com

you just put in the basic information (age, tour dates, etc.) and it gives you comparisons on all the policies. We are planning a group cruise on the Tahitian Princess next summer (August 15, 2006)and CSA now covers pre-existing as long as you book you insurance by final payment!

Julie

vmom July 17th, 2005 02:41 PM

Also, some insurance companies are primary coverage, and some are secondary. The difference was explained to my as: If you get sick or something happens and your travel insurance is primary, then you just make a claim with that insurance and that's it. If the coverage is a secondary policy, you have to first make claims with your own health insurance or homeowners, or whatever other insurance you carry and then after they pay then the secondary insurance picks up what is left over. Sounded like more paperwork, so I looked for a policy that was primary coverage, not secondary.

I thought as an example, if our camera or luggage was stolen I would rather just put in a claim with the the travel insurance rather than have to put in an inital claim with our homeowners, then use the travel insurance for what homeowner didn't pay. Works the same with health care claims.

Egee July 17th, 2005 03:53 PM

One big factor you are missing....cruise line insurance can be a little more expensive, but it offers cruise credit (75 or 90 per cent for Princess) if you cancel for a non covered reason...like you just decide you don't want to go...or something comes up at work and you can't travel at your scheduled time..or you have a pre-existing condition that is not covered. That is worth a whole lot yet, often folks forget about that and purchase independent coverage which rarely if ever has such a feature. Also, if you have a problem on board the ship for which cruise insurance issues may apply, you are treated a whole lot better in solving it if you have the cruise line's coverage.

Jo-Ann July 18th, 2005 11:53 AM

Susie P, unless you purchased the travel insurance within 21 days of making your initial cruise deposit (Travelex Travel Lite stipulation, others are anywhere from 7-14 days), I'm afraid if your husband suffered anything cardiac related, it would not be covered. I'm guessing he is also on meds. Same goes if there were any med changes. However, just having the angioplasty is considered pre-existing. Had you purchased the insurance within 21 days of making deposit, all pre-existing conditions are waived.

In the future, it's always best to purchase the insurance. Don't wait to get your airfare. You can guesstimate that, and if it's different (most policies give premiums in ranges of $500 (e.g., $1000-1500, 1501-2000, etc.), so usually there is no impact on your premium, unless you've under or overestimated your airfare by more than $500. If that is the case, you can always call the insurance company later and make the change. But at least you will have gotten in during the 21 day period.

Jan P July 18th, 2005 01:05 PM

Hi Jo-Ann. We pre-booked our upcoming cruise with Princess during our February 2004 cruise and paid the initial deposit at that time. We didn't know the date or year we were taking our next cruise, so wouldn't have been able to complete the insurance form.

Thanks for the tip on purchasing insurance before getting the airfare. I'll certainly do that in the future.

Jo-Ann July 23rd, 2005 02:40 PM

Jan, when you do an open booking with Princess and haven't yet named a date, you don't have to purchase your insurance within 21 days of THAT deposit. Once you actually select a ship, and your open booking is transferred to whichever travel agent you use, that is the date that is considered your booking date.

Jan P July 23rd, 2005 09:22 PM

Jo-Ann - that makes sense. Thanks for letting me know. We plan to pre-book another Princess cruise during our Sept. cruise. This will be our first cruise to Alaska and we're really looking forward to it.

Jo-Ann July 25th, 2005 06:22 PM

FYI...if you need insurance and want to take advantage of a pre-existing condition waiver, but didn't purchase the insurance in a timely manner (i.e., withn 7-21 days of making initial trip deposit, depending on policy), you're not out of luck.

Over at www.insuremytrip.com there is an insurance company called CSA. They have about three different policies and one is called "Comfort." With that plan, which also happens to be their most reasonably priced and very competitive with other companies, you can get the pre-existing condition waiver included as long as you purchase the insurance within 24 hours of making FINAL payment on your trip. That should help a lot of people. We've had CSA in the past and they have very good customer service. But this new plan is new and great for people who didn't purchase the insurance right away after booking, but have pre-existing conditions.

Jan P July 25th, 2005 08:06 PM

Jo-Ann: Great! I'll check out that link. I really appreciate your info and input from other "Cruisemates".

Alfred July 30th, 2005 07:23 PM

I view insurance as the need to cover a catastrophic loss you can't afford to lose. Can you afford to lose the several thousand dollars spent on a curise? Is it worth spending several hundred dollars to save losing several thousand? The insurance sale is a profit center for the cruise line. If you have health insurance that will cover you I think cruise insurance is a bad bet. I have taken 13 cruises and have more than paid for one cruise by never buying the insurance.

Jo-Ann July 31st, 2005 12:17 PM

Alfred, I'm glad that nothing untoward has happened to you regarding past cruises. However, we had two cruises booked this year, and 3 weeks before the first one, my seemingly perfectly healthy 45-year-old husband suffered a massive stroke. No warning, no risk factors, no explanation...Thank goodness it didn't happen while we were at sea. But, of course, it necessitated our cancelling two cruises. For the $95 for each cruise that it cost us (total premium cost was $190), we received back every penny. We would have been out many thousands of dollars had we not purchased the insurance. And BTW, most medical insurance policies, even if they cover your medical expenses outside of the country, do not cover medical evacuation.

Donna July 31st, 2005 04:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Princess insurance?

Hi Jo Ann,
Glad to hear you were covered and didn't loose all that money, besides missing the cruise. We too always purchase the extra insurance. Also in our case, its saved us thousands of dollars. There is just no way to know in advance that something like that would happen, better be covered. Our insurance, while a good coverage, does cover the medical expenses, after deductables are met, but doesn not cover any medical evacuation, which could run into the thousands easily. Its just stupid not to get the travel insurance.

Were you ever able to re-book your cruise?

We are going on one in Sept.. We had to come home early from the last one, only cruised for 2 days,due to a death in the family and thank GOD had the insurance, so the money back will pay for this next one. It also covered the un-used portion and travel expenses, so I'm totally sold on purchasing the travel insurance for every cruise.