Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:39 PM
bjkeen

Default Hurricane Emily

After Hurricane Emily moves past Aruba (if it stays on the same course) it is headed towards Mexico and Texas. The last NOA report I received said it is moving at 115 mph.

The weatherman said there is another storm behind Emily. I've lived in Florida all of my life, and I have never seen this many storms this early in the season.
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2005, 07:50 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Hurricane Emily

We just read this morning that it hit Grenada. This is so terrible because last Sept. they were hit and 90% of the island was destroyed. One woman who we was our tour guide said that she was in her home under rumble for 8 hours with her children until the storm passed. She had nothing left and now lives in a shelter. She said that if they get hit again it would be devastating to the island. These people are among the poorest too. She said it would be years to grow the spices again. So very sad. We were there in March 04 and again in April 05 and we could tell how much they lost. You could see by looking at the trees how it just sliced through. St. Vincent on the other hand did not receive any damage. I don't know about this time though. The islands are so beautiful but can be very dangerous when the hurricanes hit. We have friends in Florida that have been evacuated four times last year. Take care and be safe from these storms. You sure do live in a beautiful state.

Old July 16th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Hurricane Emily

Are you sure that it is moving at 115mph or is it that the winds are 115 mhp? I had read that hurricanes move at about 10-15 knots and that newer cruise ships are able to avoid them because they can travel at 20-22 knots.

This year the forcast is that there will be storms than last year, but its hard to say which way they will head. Out to the Atlantic would be ideal, but probably wishful thinking.

Read a post a few minutes ago that Grand Caymen and Cozumel are both under hurricane advisories and that in both areas businesses are shutting down to prepare.
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Default Re: Hurricane Emily

The storm has basically passed Grand Cayman with low winds. However, it's about to slam into Cancun, Cozumel tonight or in the early morning. The winds are about 150mph-Category 4 if it holds together. It will be terrible for those folks. The Cozumel "strip" reminds me of the Ft. Lauderdale Beach area. Our roll call group for our cruise in Oct. has plans to meet a local establishment there. I don't know where the alternative port might be if Cozumel is decimated. That's a long time away, though, and other cruisers who go before us will be able to tell us what's going on.
Grenada is having another tough year. So far, the depression behind Emily isn't too promising, according to our local Tampa weather guys. Lynne