Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Passenger

Default Lido deck balcony cabins

We had a choice between a balcony cabin on the Lido deck, or a wheelchair accessable balcony cabin on the Caribe (hmm or was it the Baja) deck. We choose the Lido deck (L218). I hear the wheelchair accessable cabins are bigger and better .. have we made the wrong choice?
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Lido deck balcony cabins

Forgot to say in my post above that is with the Grand Princess
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Bushwhacker

I would say that you made the right choice, as the wheelchair accessable cabins are reserved for people who need them! If your TA offered that cabin to you, he/she was mistaken.
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Passenger

That was my thought too, but then I read some other posts on booking wheelchair accessable cabins. Some comments I found were that you have a better chance of getting upgraded from that cabin. Also people said the extra space in the bathroom is nice to have if the cabin is not required and you don't get upgraded. I also read that they have more of these rooms than needed per cruise.
Old July 28th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Bushwhacker

Default Re: Re: Lido deck balcony cabins

CT, you'll hear those things only from people who don't NEED a wheelchair accessable cabin. Talk to those who do need it, and you'll see that there are not enough of those cabins to go around! It's a terrible thing to take it away from someone who needs it. The reason the cabins and bathrooms are larger is that they are large enough for someone in a wheelchair to get around, and wheel into the shower.
I hope you never find yourself in that position!

B
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

No, they won't upgrade you they just won't have a cabin for someone that needs it take it from someone who knows.

I have 2 kids in wheelchairs and on our last cruise we were unable to get 2 wheelchair cabins next to each other because a non disabled couple in their 20's TA thought that they would love the extra space and booked them the room.
Old July 28th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Admiral

CJH,

I'm very disappointed to hear that a TA booked an accessible cabin for non-disabled cruisers!

I had heard that if you booked an accessible cabin and didn't need it the cruise line would move you (not upgrade you), if someone else needed it. Apparently this is not true. I personally think that the only time they should sell an accessible cabin to non-disabled cruisers is at the last minute, when those are the only cabins available.

I had a wonderful Uncle who was in a wheelchair all of his life. If this had happened to us I would have terribly upset, as I'm sure you were.

I personally would never again book a cruise with the line that did this.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 28th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Passenger

That really isn't fair, you would think they would move people if they weren't in need of that cabin. I guess there may not be anywhere to move them if the ship is sold out.

Glad I didn't listen to others on this one and went with the Lido deck cabin, I would feel terrible if that had happened.
Old July 30th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Sea-soned 1

Good for you CT!
Some travel agents tell you that they will move you IF someone else wants the cabin, but in reality, they do not. They just marked the cabin as sold, and a handicapped person does not get to cruise. There are relatively few handicapped cabins on the ship.........I think that on the Grand Class ships there are only 28............insides, oceanviews, and a few balconies. No minis and no suites. BUT, for the balconies, the accessible cabins are BAs, so wheelies do have to pay more........they can't book guarantees. On the other classes of Princess ships, there are even fewer H/C cabins.