Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Lisa S.

Default Help! Question re Formal Wear on Princess Cruises

I have a question re Princess Sapphire Princess (or Princess Grand Ships in general) re "formal" wear.

If you go to the optional restaurants instead of the traditional dining room, does everyone wear formal wear on the 2 formal nites? My husband refuses to pack a suit or sport coat. Help!
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Gene B.

Default Re: Help! Question re Formal Wear on Princess Cruises

Well, sorry to tell your husband but yes they do. Your best option is to go to the Horizon Court where people will be less dressed up but you get sit-down meal (pretty much same menu as in the dining rooms).
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Rob H

A tie , slacks and a nice shirt can also pass for formal wear or He can rent for a night.
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Admiral

yes, formal nite attire applies to all restaurants except Horizon Court. Pack the suit.
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:48 PM
jknichols

My husband just wears dress slacks with shirt and tie. He thinks it's way too hot in the dining room for a jacket and we prefer to pack light anyway.
Old July 30th, 2005, 08:40 AM
First Mate

Hey if gals wear the nice attire why can't men for a short while put on the suit?? I know its everyones vacation but formal means "DRESS UP" or they wouldn't have formal nights. The choices are out there for other dining options if people choose not to participate in formal nights. Personally I think clothes make the man and there is nothing nicer than a guy in a nice suit or a tux. Just my opinion!!
Old July 30th, 2005, 12:29 PM
seaangel

My hubby always rents a tux. That way, he can pack very light. We enjoy dressing up for the formal evenings. Occationally, on our longer cruises we'll skip one or so. A shirt and tie is not, in any way, formal. A dark suit and tie or tux is.
Happy sailing,
sea angel
by the way, we are young. 40-42
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Gator

Default Re: Re: Help! Question re Formal Wear on Princess Cruises

Formal night for men means putting on a jacket. Most men on my cruise had on a tux or a dark suit....not just a shirt, tie and slacks and not even a sport jacket with pants. It was definitely a suite or tux.
Old July 31st, 2005, 11:06 PM
Marian

Really appreciate the replys on this subjsct of formal night. We have not cruised in 2 years and have been hearing about all the overly casual some ships have become. Therefore did not know if they are dressing up anymore at all. We have done 13 cruises. Thanks again.
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:17 PM
bjkeen

Cruising attire:
Buffet: Resort Casual (shorts, t-shirts, skorts and jeans)

Dining Rooms: Formal nights you need dress clothes; suits or tuxedo's for men, ladies need evening wear. There are some great photo opportunities on these nights with many different back drops to choose from.

Dining Room on the other nights: Ladies can wear pant suits, dresses, dress slacks, blouses, and or skirts. Men-dress pants, or Docker type pants, and sports shirts.

Does this help?
Old August 4th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Lisa S.

Yes, thanks a lot. I was hoping the personal choice dining was not formal as the golfing group I'm traveling with is not looking forward to dressing up. Oh well, we'll do the best we can.

Thanks!
Old August 14th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Familiar Face

I thoroughly appreciate and understant formal night in the dining room and I too refuse to get all dressed up to eat so I dont pack or rent the required dress code and eat elsewhere those two nights.
Old August 14th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lisa S: Tell the golf group to dress up for two nights. It won't hurt them.. Can't they follow the dress code for just two nights???? OM