Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Bushwhacker

Default Wheelchair Accessable Cabins

I thought it best to copy/paste the original thread on this subject, as I dont want anyone to miss it! Particularly those who may think of trying to book one.

Thank you CT for asking!

Author: CT
Date: 07-24-05 19:31

We had a choice between a balcony cabin on the Lido deck, or a wheelchair accessable balcony cabin on the Caribe (hmm or was it the Baja) deck. We choose the Lido deck (L218). I hear the wheelchair accessable cabins are bigger and better .. have we made the wrong choice?

Date: 07-24-05 19:33

Forgot to say in my post above that is with the Grand Princess

Author: Bushwhacker
Date: 07-24-05 21:17

I would say that you made the right choice, as the wheelchair accessable cabins are reserved for people who need them! If your TA offered that cabin to you, he/she was mistaken.

Date: 07-27-05 20:38

That was my thought too, but then I read some other posts on booking wheelchair accessable cabins. Some comments I found were that you have a better chance of getting upgraded from that cabin. Also people said the extra space in the bathroom is nice to have if the cabin is not required and you don't get upgraded. I also read that they have more of these rooms than needed per cruise.

Author: Bushwhacker
Date: 07-28-05 10:32

CT, you'll hear those things only from people who don't NEED a wheelchair accessable cabin. Talk to those who do need it, and you'll see that there are not enough of those cabins to go around! It's a terrible thing to take it away from someone who needs it. The reason the cabins and bathrooms are larger is that they are large enough for someone in a wheelchair to get around, and wheel into the shower.
I hope you never find yourself in that position!

B
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Bushwhacker

Default Re: Wheelchair Accessable Cabins

Here's another voice heard from:

Author: CJH
Date: 07-28-05 16:30

No, they won't upgrade you they just won't have a cabin for someone that needs it take it from someone who knows.

I have 2 kids in wheelchairs and on our last cruise we were unable to get 2 wheelchair cabins next to each other because a non disabled couple in their 20's TA thought that they would love the extra space and booked them the room.
Old July 28th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Bushwhacker

CJH, you said it better than anything I might say! Thank you!

B
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Passenger

Not every person who does not need a wheelchair and ends up in an ADA cabin is evil. I completely understand the importance of having an accessible cruise cabin for everyone. My Mother, after 2 unsuccessful back surgeries, is in a wheelchair. Traveling is always a challenge. We make a point of booking her well in advance and have never had a problem getting the cabins she needs.

I would not dream of taking such a cabin if I had a choice but I have a group of 8 cabins (friends& family) cruising together in 6 weeks. My husband and I were the last to book our cruise. We had group space in category’s BC and BD. The only cabins left were 2 wheelchair accessible cabins in BC and 1 in BD. Princess put me in a wheelchair cabin. I was told that if someone wanted to book an ADA cabin, I would be moved. I even offered to take a lower category but they are all waitlisted. The only cabins left are the suites. I wish I had that kind of money but I do not. I have checked back two times to see if anything else has opened up. No luck. So my choices are to take the cabin that was left or stay home. Since my parents, children, and several friends are going I am not staying home.