Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Greta B

Default Chankanaab Park

Hi again!

We have chosen to do a shore excursion with Princess Cruise Line to Chankanaab National Park..has anyone been there and done that? All feedback is greatly appreciated!
Wow, I have so many questions to ask about our upcoming Princess Cruise! And thanks again for everyone that has responded back...your input is greatly appreciated!
WE ARE SO EXCITED ABOUT OUR CRUISE IN NOVEMBER!!!!!! Wish that we were on the boat now!!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2005, 01:31 PM
MagnoliaBlossom

Default Re: Chankanaab Park

Chankanaab is a great place with lots to do.
It is a nice white sand beach although the shoreline itself is rocky in most places. There are typical sandy spots for swimming. There are "steps" to get into the water for snorkelling and you will see fish the moment you put your face in the water!
You can swim out to a floating platform if you want to bask in the sun out there. There is a sunken statue that is nice to see.
There are free standing palm thatched umbrella shelters and fiberglass lounge chairs at no cost.
There is a swim with the dolphins program which you may or not be doing.
There are 3 or 4 places to rent snorkel and scuba equipment. Think it's about $5 per person for the day for snorkel stuff.
There are several nice little restaurants. I think they're a little bit high but it is afterall a tourist destination.
Bestest of all are the little guys who roams the beach and brings you drinks. They serve their pina coladas in either pineapples or coconuts which makes for a photo op you just gotta' have!
The showers and bathrooms are clean, although the showers are cold water only.
There are a few lockers available in the bathhouse for rent. I don't remember the cost but it seems as though it was reasonable. There are also a few shops around that sell necessitites such as sun tan lotion and film and bottled water.
There is a beautiful lagoon where you can see a nice variety of aquatic life. It is not for swimming, just looking.
There is a Mayan history exhibit that is well done and a beautiful walkway that winds through a botanical garden.
Big iguana roam the area and make for good photos as well.
It is my favorite place to go in Cozumel and our only destination each time.
Admission if not on excursion is $10 US for adults, I don't know what children are.
Taxi far from the pier is about $10 per vehicle (not person) but that can vary depending on which pier you are docked at, since there are 3 piers in Cozumel.
Most of the taxi drivers speak fair english.
The drive is less than 10 minutes even from the furthest pier.
My advice is to go as early as possible since it does fill up by late morning. So go early to get a good spot. Our usual schedule is to go directly to the park when disembarking, get a good spot, cat nap, drink beer and eat lunch. I really like the fried octupus and the shrimp ceviche at the Bucaneer's restaurant (the one near the bathhouse). By then it's usually hot and we've had enough heat so we head back to the ship.
There is a place we like to get a massage near the piers so if we can work it out we get a massage, maybe shop a little (although I am NOT a shopper)
Then we sit at the pier, have a Sol Cerveza and stare at the azure water.
Cozumel is a great place. Have a good time.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Greta - Chakanaab is wonderful - we did the dolphin encounter there. There is so much to see just wandering around the park and the beaches are beautiful. Have a great cruise. TTFN Jennifer
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Admiral

OOPS - forgot to mention the photo opps - there are lots of lizards just sitting around waiting for you to take their pictures. It's like they are posing for you. All sizes and colours - so don't forget your camera. The fish in the lagoon are something to see as well. TTFN Jennifer
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Passenger

Save yourself some money and time and go to the park by taxi. You can get their for $10-$12 and it is a very short ride. Additionally, you will not have to wait for everyone else on the tour and you will get a headstart on them. Also, when you want to leave, you can get a taxi just outside the entrance and head back to the ship or do some shopping or grab a bite to eat in the area by the ships. If you do stick with the Princess tour, I think that you will see that you have spent money needlessly. However, if money is no object and you don't like to be on your own due to unfamilarity with the area, it would be best tostick with the tour.
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Admiral

you don't need to book a ships tour to Chankanaab National Park, just grab a cab at the pier, that way you can come and go as you please and save some money, plenty of cabs available.
Old August 18th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree that you can save $$ and just go on your own. We did and it was a blast! We snorkeled. Take a box of cereal from the buffet. Be careful, the fish will attach you! It was a great place to relax and enjoy our vacation. We loved our Princess cruise last November. Can't wait to do it again