Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Beginner

Default Caribbean Princess vs. RCL Grandeur

We are thinking of taking a holiday cruise this winter and are looking at going on the RCL Grandeur of the Seas. Previously we have taken cruises both the Grand Princess and Carribean Princess and enjoyed both cruises tremendously. Can someone tell me how the Gradeur compares to these Princess ships and in general how RCL compares to Princess? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me on this!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Caribbean Princess vs. RCL Grandeur

without getting into an age / size argument, Grandeur of the Seas was built in 1996 and is under 80,000 tons.

Grand Princess and Caribbean Princess are from 1997 and 2004. both are over 100,000 tons and can carry far more people than the Grandeur.
Depending on where you find the info, the 2 Princess ships are a better class. And generally Princess ships have more facilities like dining rooms & pools. RCL's fleet has more older ships than Princess.

Again, i'm not starting a debate, or bashing RCL. just stating facts. There are also interesting reading at the RCL forum.
Old August 19th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Mr Goalie

I have been on both lines Princess (Grand) and RCL (Grandeur) Both are great, but......Princess is greater. The larger ship that Princess offers makes it seem about half as crowded. Princess also has many many more balcony rooms which makes having one so much more affordable. I never though having a balcony was that big of a deal,................until I had one. It is tough to go back to an inside or porthole room. I personally think the Carribbean Princess is your best bet. Whatever you decide, have a great time.....and go a day early !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 19th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Princess has fresh water pools (the only line that does) and real mini refrigerators NOT mini bars that cool (RCI) ... and team trivia, which I particularly like. Plus the food is much better as is the dining room service on Princess. I'll be sailing on my 8th Princess cruise in November and have sailed on 2 RCI cruises.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Janmd

There is no comparsion. Just was on the Grandeur over 4 of July. It is an older ship. Rooms are not kept up. Food was okay.

Was on the Caribben Princess back in March and going again in November- love the ship- the food is excellent- service was perfect, brand new ship, etc. It is a larger ship than the Grandeur.

And don't forget the RCI has fixed seating times. Princess is anytime you want to go and set times for dinner.
Old August 20th, 2005, 03:40 PM
First Mate

100% Caribbean Princess over the Grandeur. No comparison.
sea angel
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:07 AM
Passenger

I think you will have a great time on either ship. For a comparison, post the same question on the Royal Caribbean forum.
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:21 PM
cruserlori

I have been on both ships. I was on the Car. Princess in April 2004 (It was the second or third cruise on the boat) and I was on the Grandeur in November of 2004.

The C. Princess is shiny and new and very huge...it reminded us of a scary movie...like the shining....the halls with the cabin rooms were incredibly long....all you could see were halls with cabin doors it went on forever...it was like an optical illusion...We personally felt it was a bit too big and a little impersonable. We had an inside cabin..lots of storage and closet space the bathroom was a bit cramped, and the shower was a bit small and lacking spots for shampoo, conditioner, and a razor.

The Grandeur, in my opinion is the perfect size. It is smaller, but it still was in good shape. We had a balcony room and were very happy with it's size and the bathroom was roomy. We had lots of drawers and space to stow things. We had a great time on this ship.

Both had great service and food. My husband prefers RCI over Princess. He thinks it is a little more fun? I really like both of them equally well. We have booked the Sun Princess, which is about the size of the Grandeur, for November.

Hope this helps!
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Admiral

The Grandeur is smaller and older than the Caribbean Princess.
The Grandeur won't have all the activites, stuff and things to do that the Caribbean Princess has.
CP has Movies Under the Stars
Pools and spas on the CP are freshwater and open 24/7
CP has Anytime Dining