Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Abigail

Default Man Overboard?

I've just read that a dozen people have gone missing on cruiseships since 2000. The majority being on Carnival.

Morbid topic, but how could one go overboard by accident? Do you think some of these people drink too much and lean over and fall? Or does the crew tire of serving ugly Americans who don't tip and chuck one overboard on occassion?

The railings are so high, it would take a lot of effort to slip..also, these "accidents" don't seem to get a lot of news coverage..exept for the most recent one.
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:39 PM
lynncruise

Default Re: Man Overboard?

I have wondered how the cruise lines have kept it so quite? It seems like it would be hard to slip overboard...It makes you wonder if it was fellow passengers? or if the crew were involved somehow?

I always feel pretty darn safe when I am on a cruise..maybe I shouldn't feel sooo safe? There have a few times in a couple of ports that we went off the beaten path (so to speak) and didn't feel safe...

I read an article a few months back and it said that carnival has the most passengers missing because the have the most ships out at sea and they have many shorter cruises...I guess that makes sense...

It does make one cautious of letting their high school and college age kids roam freely about the ship..

Lori.
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Passenger

Suicide?
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Admiral

How it could happen by accident? I remember one incident on a ship (and I believe it was Carnival) where a passenger was 'dancing on a table' up on deck, and fell off, hit the railing and tumbled to his death falling off the side of the ship into the water.

It happens by carelessness.
Old August 31st, 2005, 02:17 PM
Lissee

I would tend to think that it is always good to keep an eye on any high school and college age kids that might want to roam freely about the ship. I was watching on a show the other night a story of a girl that was assulted by a crew memeber when she was heading back to her room alone. It's always best to be careful no matter when you are.
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:25 PM
Admiral

If you keep your feet on the deck your butt won't go overboard.
When something happens on a ship ( any ship, not just carnival ) rumors spread quicker that wildfire. In most cases you have someone tanked up on alcohol doing something stupid. Unfortunately, when you do something stupid regarding a moving ship at sea, you very seldom get a second chance.
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:38 AM
sealegs

Hi, Ron,

WELL SAID !!!!

Cheers
CG
Old September 1st, 2005, 07:49 AM
Passenger

I remember reading an article a few years ago about some drunk young man who had an iresistible urge to urinate into the ocean. He, of course fell in. Being the middle of the night, no one noticed. He somehow swam to shore and was transported to meet the ship at the next port.
Old September 5th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Joe L

I saw someone copy teh "king of the world" stunt from Titanic, and could not watch expecting them to slip. They apparently did not, luckily for their family !!\
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Beginner

I guess you have not been watching the Nancy Grace show on CNN/HN. She has been ranting and raving about the newlywed that disappeared on Royal Caribbean. Supposedly there was blood found in the cabin but no body, no witnesses. Ms. Grace has been frustrated that no one has been arrested or who has questioned the crew.
Old September 12th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Beginner

Default Drunken Stupidity

Most incidences of passengers going overboard happen on Carnival because this cruise line appears to attract a younger crowd, who get drunk and do stupid things. Now that's what happens most of the time, in regards to the guy who disappeared on RCCL Brilliance in Europe... alcohol again was a factor but it appears the suspects in question were also sleezeballs and had been told on to security onboard before this incident occurred.

I've sailed Carnival once, just recently and now I can fully understand where all the stories of drunken passengers going overboard comes from... being 23... you'd think I'd enjoy wild scenes but Carnival is far too wild for my tastes... and now I know why they have so many issues! (Which also explains why you can't walk their exterior promenades at night without getting chastised by the crew... they've been trained to get you away from the railings so you don't go over!!)

JMHO... Jake
Old September 12th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Passenger

It is not fair to pick on Carnival. I can recall at least five instances with Holland America in the last few years. All were apparent suicides.

As for the RCI deal, there is so much misinformation out there that any discussion is pointless. Here is a fact - there was no blood in the cabin. It's just overenthusiastic journalists trying to make a name for themselves.
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:30 AM
First Mate

I, for one, think that death certificates need to be amended.
Now we have:

Natural causes
Suicide
Murder
Accident

But where is the catagory "Stupid"??????