Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2005, 06:59 AM
cruisinsoon

Default Meals on Alaska CruiseTour???

I've read the meals on Princess (and other) Alaska CruiseTours are expensive. Can I get more details. Where do you eat? Just how expensive are they? Are any meals included at all on the cruise tour? I'd appreciate any info at all on this. We're planning on 2006.
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Meals on Alaska CruiseTour???

I believe that Princess does offer an option that includes all meals, but am sure the cost would be quite high.

Have done 2 land tours with Princess in Alaska (July 2004 and May 2005). The meals at the lodges aren't too horribly priced, yes I'd say a bit higher but not outlandish. The train meals weren't too bad either IMHO.

For example, we stayed at the Fairbanks Princess lodge and went to the buffet they offered in the evening, it was not huge but had a chicken dish, beef, fish, crab legs, small salad bar, veggies. The crab legs were huge. It was 21.00 for all you could eat. Not really out of line in my opinion.
Old August 29th, 2005, 01:39 AM
sealegs

Default Re: Meals on Alaska CruiseTour???

Hi,
Literally EVERYTHING is more expensive in Alaska, clothing, fuel, food, etc.etc....Simply a nature of their location, the cost of getting stuff up there, limited growing season for veggies and fruits, etc etc...
So, meals while you're on tours will be somewhat pricier tha what you're usedto back home, but, as someone else stated, not way out of line. We've eaten on the Alaska Railroad dining car last summer; quite reasonnable....and g o o d !!!
Holland America has an '' all meals included ''option on their land portion....IMO, it is very, very expensive.
We had meals at both Denali and Talkeetna; good and a tad expensive....but for Alaska, quite reasonnable. The meals we had on the cruise company dome car dining facilities were very good, but on the pricey side,even for Alaska.That was on a RCT car, (Royal Celebrity Tours ),which operates all land tours for the family lines, RCCL and Celebrity. Feedback seems to point to a very similar scenario on cars owned/operated by Princess and HollandAmerica ( also used for Carnival and RSSC ).

Happy sailings
CG