Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Susan33

Default Where to park in LA or San Diego for Princess cruise

We are trying to decide between two Princess cruises. One leaves Los Angeles and the other leaves San Diego. We planning to drive to southern California since we have other travel plans after the cruise. Does any one have information on where to leave a large SUV in long-term parking in either Los Angeles or San Diego.

Up in the San Francisco area, we have found motels that will keep our car for free if we stay a night before or after the trip. Any one know of such an arrangement in Los Angeles or San Diego for the Princess cruises?
Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Where to park in LA or San Diego for Princess cruise

In Los Angeles, which is really the harbor San Pedro, there is a very nice and safe parking area next to the ships.. It cost $11 per day unless they have raised the price, but I don't think they have.. Pull up to the ship, dropoff your bags, park your car, walk a very short distance back to the ship.. In fact, only the driver needs to take the car to the lot.. The rest can wait for them to walk back to the ship and then all can go on the ship toghter.. It only takes about 4 min.to walk back... I do not know any thing about San Diego parking. OM
Old August 27th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Admiral

San Diego: We stayed at the Best Western Bayside Inn on Ash St. and left our car for an 8 day cruise out of San Diego. It is never "free" to leave your car at a hotel even if you stay there the night before, it's just a little less than leaving it at the port. Unfortunately, San Diego does not have port parking so it was $160 for the night & parking at the hotel. Our friends paid $100 for the night with no car. They also let other friends meet us in the morning & park their car for the week for $10/day. They have a free shuttle to the airport and cruise port, complimentary breakfast. We had a balcony room overlooking the ocean and watched the ship come into port on cruise day. We really enjoyed our stay. I think the Holiday Inns also have park & cruise packages.

The 2nd time cruising from San Diego, we rented a car from Avis. Dropped it off and they shuttled us to the Embassy Suites who offered a free shuttle to the port. Parking at the ES is $20!!! Maybe consider renting a car to come to CA, drop it off, then rent a car to go home. Not sure if it would be cost effective but you wouldn't have to worry about a car for a week.

Have sailed from San Pedro many times but we always park at the port for the week at $12/day..

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 27th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Susan33

Thank you for the helpful information about parking.

Renting is not an option since we will need the car to do the things for the following weeks that we have planned.

Thanks again for the help.
Old August 27th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to shayesship
Default Re: Re: Where to park in LA or San Diego for Princess cruise

I respectfully disagree about the San Diego parking. Right across the street to the San Diego pier is a large fenced parking lot that we park in every time we go on a cruise. However it is just not for exclusive use of cruise patrons but all people who want to park in that area. I will be parking there again in October when I go on the Oosterdam.

In L.A. I stay the night before at the Marina Hotel (Won 4 times thru Priceline with the bidding strategy of 3 stars and winning bids of $45 to $65). They let you keep your car there for up to two weeks WITHOUT any additional charge. However, it is the normal unfenced parking lot adjacent to the front of thier hotel. I have never had a problem.

Post Edited (08-27-05 19:05)

65+ cruises on over 10 cruiselines.

Celebrity Mercury 09-24-07
HAL Veendam 12-16-07
PCL Golden Princess 04-19-08
Cunard QM2 11-29-08
CCL Splendor 04-26-09
Old August 28th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Steve,
I knew about the parking lot across the street in San Diego but like you mentioned, it is not exclusive for cruisers. People are in and out of it daily, whereas in Long Beach or San Pedro, it's only cruisers and the cars sit for the time they are gone. San Diego only offers public parking structures or the other option is hotel parking. Thanks for letting us know about the Marina Hotel and their not charging extra.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 28th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Seeking SWF for Cruise

Hi im from San Diego and I would Call a shuttle company and leave your car at their lot and they will take you to and from the cruise ship drop point. Or their is long term parking for the airport that is by that area as well and that would be a safe place to leave the car.
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you drive down the night before, the Los Angeles Harbor Hotel (Sheraton) has a Park & Cruise option. The cruise port is less than 1/2 mile away. (When we stayed there last year our room had a view of the ship when it was docked.) It has a nice restaurant (buffet breakfast on the weekend). Also, there's a Greek restaurant about 2-3 blocks away that's great for dinner. Phone (310) 519-8900 or (888) 890-9888.

We've never cruised from San Diego but when I was there for a conference, I did see Holiday Inn very close to the port. The US Grant is an historic hotel (the conference was there) that's interesting but you'll have to compare prices. Dollar for dollar you can probably do better. There's a shopping mall across the street and a buffet restaurant (name I can't remember) about 1/2 block away that has the most interesting salad bar around. Also, the meat is unlimited and served by waiters. We had lunch there and it was a fun experience.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old August 30th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Susan33

I really appreciate all the helpful information about the parking.

Thanks