Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sapphire Princess Questions

Hi -

We're lucky enough to be cruising on the Sapphire Princess on Oct 1. It's our second (first on RCCL) and my sister's first. We have balcony cabins on the Caribe deck.

Now for the questions...

Do we need a power strip or has Princess put extra electrical outlets in the cabins?

Looking at the deck plans, it appears most decks have laundry rooms. Are there irons in those laundry rooms? (my sister's question)

How's the coffee? I read in one post it was pretty bad.....

I know that when you look at the total picture these questions are pretty minor but we are curious...

thanks...

Suzi

Old August 31st, 2005, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Sapphire Princess Questions

Hi Suzi,

We haven't sailed on Sapphire Princess, but we have been on a Grand class ship, Grand Princess.

Yes, you will need a power strip. There's only one outlet near the desk.

There were irons in the laundry rooms (free). I found the best time to use the laundry was in the middle of the afternoon.

I know many people say "I'm not doing laundry on vacation!", but I spent less than an hour and a half on our last day at sea running a couple of loads and came home with clean clothes! I brought my own detergent and dryer sheets in a baggie. They don't have much choice of detergent and it's expensive!

FYI, the machines take quarters. There are bill changers there, but they were often out of quarters.

I don't drink coffee, so can't answer that question for you, but I'm sure others can help.

Hope you all have a great cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old August 31st, 2005, 07:07 PM
Passenger

Suzi: we've sailed on the Diamond, Sapphire's sister ship. I too did laundry mid-week. Didn't have to pack as many clothes that way. I purchased a pop-up mesh laundry hamper. It's circular, not very big, and stored nicely in the hanging clothes area. We'd toss our laundry in that every day. Mid week, I just picked it up by the handles and hauled it off to the laundry room. When the clothes were dried and clean, I stacked them in the mesh basket and hauled them back to the cabin. It folds flat and I believe I paid $2.50 for it at Walgreens. It was worth it's weight in gold. I had several passenger asking if they could purchase it from me. ha

The change machine was out of quarter too, so stop by the pursers desk for a roll of quarters.

Enjoy your cruise!

Old September 1st, 2005, 07:26 AM
susancruzs

You'll find volumes written about the coffee and while one person thinks its ok another says the worst ever! I drink the coffee on ships and don't think its that bad.

If I do get a bad cup, I switch over and make myself a cup of tea. I've never been crazy about specialty coffees (Starbucks, etc.) so I'm not looking for a fantastic cup of coffee!

Enjoy your cruise! The irons onboard are fine, bringing a travel iron is considered a major no-no, plus added weight! I have one and its not that light.

Susie
Old September 1st, 2005, 09:20 AM
Admiral

We have not felt the need to tote along the power strip. We charge the batteries on the digital camera at night. I dry my hair while my DH is showering, we use regular razors, i use my curling iron while the guys are getting dressed or watching TV.
Each passenger deck has a laundry room with washer, dryer and iron.
The coffee from room service and in the dining rooms is much better than the coffee at Horizon Court buffet.
Old September 1st, 2005, 09:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you all for your replies. The fold up hamper sounds like a great idea. I don't normally think of doing laundry on vacation but looks like we'll have a little time to kill while we're at sea so why not. And my sister just found out that after the cruise (Oct 8) she'll drive home, just to turn around and fly back to LA on Oct 9 for business that week. She'll be doing laundry on board since she won't have much time after the 8 hr drive.

We like coffee (Starbucks, too) and drink quite a bit of it. On RCCL it was pretty bad so I should have switched to tea. Room service coffee was worse that the buffet or dining room. But we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

thanks again...we're really looking forward to this cruise.

Suzi

Old September 8th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Passenger

looks like we will be on the same ship. We are scheduled for oct 1st too. We will be on the aloha deck..I usually take my own little 4 cup coffee maker, just because I dont care for strong coffee and they we usually order fruit and danish from room service, works for us and this will be our 13th cruise!!

Old September 9th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Sapphire Princess Questions

I'm glad to hear you'll be on the cruise, too. I've heard it's sold out but few have responded to the roll call I've seen posted here.

We like strong coffee, can drink weak coffee, but we like REAL coffee. Brand doesn't usually matter but we usually drink Folgers and like the Starbucks house blend. On RCCL the coffee was "different" - not sure what it was, but it was pretty bad. Someone said they thought the ship(s) used a syrup rather than coffee grounds - that could explain the "different". May consider carrying on our little travel pot, too. Or I' could just switch to tea for the trip. Thanks for your reply.

Oh, one more question; my sister asked if there are hairdryers in the cabins...I know RCCL had one so I'm thinking Princess probably does as well.

Counting down to cruise....22 days

Old September 10th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Passenger

Hi Gang, looking over the boards and found your posts here. I've been on the Sun Princess a couple of times and really enjoyed the coffee in the dining room. I seem to remember the room service coffee being pretty good, but it's been awhile. I'm glad about the laundry room because everything I own it seems like is cotton and needs to be ironed. I scheduled a massage for DH on our first sea day, so that might be a good time to iron some clothes. See you soon!

Radiance of the Sea 11/7/04
Sapphire Princess 10/1/05
Old September 10th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Delores

My daughter & her husband went on the Sapphire to Alaska in June. It was only their 2nd cruise, & they loved the ship. They had no complaints at all. But I don't know about the coffee, as she doesn't drink it. Have fun.
Old September 16th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Passenger

Yes. there are hair dryers in the cabins....