Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2005, 03:48 PM
CCAT

Default calling all parents

Hi there! I'm new to the forum. MY question is this. Have any of you parents out there left you child with grandparents to take your cruise. My husband and I never had a honeymoon and we are taking a cruise on the grand out of Galveston for our three year anniversary. We have a very involved responsible grandma that is keeping our two year old daughter for the week. I have left my daughter with grandma before for five days to vacation but now that she is talking I'm afraid I'm going to scar her or she will feel abandoned. I know this sounds silly.

Any words of wisdom..
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:43 PM
LisaS

Default Re: calling all parents

I would relax and not be so hard on yourself. She will be just fine. However, you will be the one that will probably have a harder time than she will! I took something of my son's with me the first time I left him. He and my husband stayed home together since I was on a "girls" cruise. It was good to have that with me to remind me of him.

Also, my parents cruised when I was younger, and I remember having a ball with my grandma. I was excited to see my parents, but it was fun while they were gone--something different.

Just be sure to have all your legal papers in order for grandma before you go and that will give you a lot of piece of mind. You can stay in touch via the Internet on the ship as long as grandma knows how to open e-mail. Otherwise, I would just relax and enjoy the cruise. With little ones, this type of vacation is few and far between!

Happy cruising!!!
LisaS
Old September 8th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to bookgirltrish Send a message via Yahoo to bookgirltrish

CCAT .. Thanks for asking. I have been wanting to ask the same question.
My husband and I cruise every 9 months but havent cruised since May '04. We were due to take one last Feb. but we had a beautiful daughter last Oct. She is 10 months now. We are cruising in November and are leaving her with my Mom. I dont know how she will react. She is with me 24/7, I was fortunate enough to quit my job to stay home with her. I was leary at first when we booked the cruise but I really need the break. My mom is taking the whole week off to care for her. My mom has decided to stay at my house so Bella (our daughter) will be familiar with her surroundings. I also have 3 teenage sons who Bella adores. So, I think that will be a help. Our cruise is November 26 on the Caribbean Princess. Let me know how things work out for you all!

Old September 9th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Lissee

I am having anxiety leaving our one year old dog at a doggie daycare for 8 nights. I can't even imagine how you must feel leaving your child. But, like others said I think the parents are always more upset and homesick than the kids will miss you. And, your kids are in good hands! Everyone needs some time away together as a couple, so I wish you all the best with your cruise!
Old September 9th, 2005, 08:04 AM
CCAT

Default Re: Re: calling all parents

Thanks for all the info. I really do need the break. I think I will take something of hers so it will be like she is kind of with me. I think everyone is right she will have fun with grandma and it will be much harder on me than her ; ).

Plus grandma is actually good with the e-mail so that will help!
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:21 PM
lagrutke

We went on a week long cruise when my son was 9 and my daughter was 3. They did absolutely fine with their Grandmother. In fact, it's an experience I am very glad they had and continue to have from time to time. They are now 15 and 9 and still stay with the Grandparents occasionally.
Old September 9th, 2005, 01:08 PM
CCAT

Default Re: Re: calling all parents

Was it hard on you to leave or did you find after a day or so you were relaxing?
Old September 10th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Passenger

When my DH and I married we blended a family. We had three children under the age of four, so never had much "newlywed" time. We were fortunate to have family and friends that would take the kids for weekends so we could have some time alone together. We added two more kids to the mix and have farmed them all out every so often to have time to ourselves. Now that our kids our older they have fond memories of time with Grandma's and Aunts. I believe it created a special bond and they love spending time together still (even though their teenagers). Relax and enjoy your time together as a couple. A strong loving marriage is the best gift you can give your kids!

Radiance of the Sea 11/7/04
Sapphire Princess 10/1/05
Old September 10th, 2005, 01:37 PM
venice

did you have a bad experience as a child when you were left with your grand parents ?
Old September 12th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

CCat,
Let me put your mind at ease. Being a grandparent, my daughter just recently left my 11 month old grandson with me while she & DH & two older children went to Baltimore to visit a niece for a long weekend (4 days). He absolutely wore me out, but we had a ball. I really don't think he missed them "that" much. I kept him pretty busy & we played for hours on end. Also my sister just left for a week on her cruise & had to board her dog & that was so dramatic for her (not the dog). Don't worry - it is definitely harder on you than it will be the children. They are resilient & adapt to pretty much anything. Enjoy yourselves

Caribbean Princess
HAL Zuiderdam -October 2003
Disney Wonder - May 2004
HAL Statendam - May 2005
Disney Wonder - Sept 2006
Carnival Fantasy - Dec 2006
Carribean Princess - Oct 2007
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to paul1

my wife and I went on our first cruise in 2001 and my father in law stayed with my sons,of course I did not feel guilty due to the fact he had been living with me for over a year(wifes idea) so I only felt it was fair for him to watch them.
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Beginner

You'll be fine! I am a travel consultant and have been vacationing 3 or 4 times a year for years now. While it is difficult leaving them at first, especially when they are smaller, it gets easier because you know they are with someone you trust, someone they love and who could be better than Grandma? The way I travel is that a couple of times a year I take my daughters with me on vacation and the other two are just hubby and I. That way, they get to be included in vacations, too, but also understand that he and I need to be alone at times, too. This makes everyone happy. So go, relax and have fun! Life's too short not to and there's a whole big world out there waiting for you to discover it.
Old September 24th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Admiral

You (and your little one) will be just fine. I left my 2 1/2 year old when we went on a delayed honeymoon to Italy. He was well cared for by his grandmother. He is now 17, extremely gifted (32 on ACT) and shows no signs of any lasting affects. Oddly enough, we have never taken another trip without him (or the little brother we added during the trip) since then. They go with us everywhere and we have had a ball.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Grandma

If you trust the Grandma with your daughter, then don't worry. I was the same way when my kids were small. I left my kids with one of my sister-n-laws. My kids loved staying with their aunt. They had a big time while we were cruising.

Have a wonderful cruise and don't sweat it.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 11:23 AM
Passenger

We left our kids when they were.eight and 18 months...We went on a four day cruise...the kids were fine...It was hard for me because of the baby..but It is worth it..all couples need time to theirselves..Or you forgot that you are a couple ,,,not just mom and dad...
Old October 4th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Admiral

Bah, humbug. Dump the kid, go on the cruise and have a ball.

We went on our first cruise when our oldest kid was 3, and left him with Gramma and Grampa.

That was in 1976. He's now 32, and shows no signs of scarring. We then proceeded to leave both him and his younger brother with grandparents and other responsible adults many times until they were old enough to stay by themselves.

I hate all this woo-woo psychobabble about how you're gonna mess up your kids if they're not with you every second. A change of pace is good for everybody once in a while.
Old October 4th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Just to be clear, it's not you I'm accusing of psychobabble. It's all the "experts" that I hear quoted by some of today's Supermoms.
Old October 4th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Go ahead.

It's a lot easier to do it now, especially if the child is comfortable with the grandparents you are too. You are probably feeling a lot more seperation anxiety than the child ever will. The worst thing you may have to deal with is a week of grandparent spoiling.

Go, have a good time. You need it. Part of being a good parent is knowing when to take some time off. Be thankful you have a support system in place that allows you to do it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Passenger

I have left my son with Grandparents on the weekends and such so I was not worried when I took my first cruise (3 day) "girls" cruise. When I got married and we went on our 7 day honeymoon, I wasn't worried that he would be "scarred" or have a horrid memory of me leaving him for a week. I was worried that I would miss him terribly (which I did miss him but not to the point where I didn't have a blast!) On my first cruise I called him everyday just to say Hi (hint don't call when you had to many rum runners), my son was 11 at the time and I told him (trying not to stammer words) that I bought him something cool in Jamaica and then he said "but mom you are in the bahamas!" HAHAHAHAHAHA He still reminds me of that when we go away. On our honeymoon I didnt call him at all because I was not going to pay a fortune by calling him from our room. We couldnt find any pay phones that worked (all of them were pretty much damaged from hurricanes) and we both survived. GO have fun while you can!

Karen

Honeymooned on the Star Princess Nov 2004
1st Anniversary on the Carribean Princess Oct 2005
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Passenger

I know this is an old post but I thought I would relay our "leaving them at home" story.

We went on a 7 day with family and left our daughter home with my sister in law, I believe she was 6. The really great in room price for phone calls was 1.95 a minute so we used it once to call and check in on her. I did not realize that the incoming to that phone was NOT 1.95. I know kicking myself still.

We had her call one night and talk to everyone (20 min at least). Upon returning home we had a message from the phone company about the unusually high usage on our phone. $400.00 later we decided that next time we will just email or miss her and see her when we are done.