Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Iona

Default Tipping

Panama canal cruise....tipping $150 seems high to me...can I tip just for
good service done....Steward, waiter et. As I have personal choice dining
I won't have the same waiter every nite. I don't mind tipping when I have good service, but to tell you up front how much they will charge me seems to much to me.
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Tipping

I will have to disagree with you on that, I think the tipping policy, even for the personal choice is more than reasonable, when you realize all those people do for you. I'm sure you will see that too, once you are onboard enjoying the ship and the great service, have a great cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 9th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Hi Iona,

Check out the "Tipping" board on this site under "Practical Advice" for LOTS of info!

On our last cruise you could have the tips removed and tip for yourself, but keep in mind that all the tips are pooled. It is my understanding that if they do not turn in cash tips they can be fired. Even if you don't have the same waiter, they all get tipped from the pool.

Personally, we just find it easier to pay the $10.00/day pp. We sometimes tip extra for extra special service, but I think they only get to keep these tips if they turn out to be more than the $10.00/day pp.

Have a great cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 10th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Iona

Default Re: Re: Tipping

Iknow they work hard...but.......to tell me how much to tip?????no thank You! Being 73 years old..this will be my last cruise, so I guess I won't worry about it anymore.....I am really on a fixed income...and the cruise was a gift.
anyway, I am sorry if I caused people to be upset...I am only statiing what I think.
Old September 10th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Beginner

If you can't afford to tip, then you should give your trip away. These hard workers make about 10 dollars a week, and rely on their tips to survive. They are on as much as a fixed income as you are. So please don't offend them by not tipping them, instead, don't go on the cruise. If you are going to go on a cruise, then tip. Things arn't the same as they were 73 years ago.
Old September 10th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Iona

Default Re: Re: Tipping

did I say I wouldn't tip? I believe I said I thought it too much...But then someone as old as 73 doesn't know much I guess..... I wouldn't give this trip up for the world! and I will tip, but who I want to tip and how much.
Old September 10th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Beginner

Iona, are you even reading what other people are saying? You can tip who you want, but it goes into a big pool, or they get fired. You are obviously not going to tip as much as suggested. If the service is good, you should be leaving the tips on the shipboard accounts. If you service is beyond expectations, you COULD extend extra cash tips if you feel that's appropriate. Tipping 5% at a restaurant doens't cut it anymore. The fact is that these people are hardly paid. The same at a restaurant, most Waiters make 2-3 dollars per hour and rely on tips. So think twice before being cheap. Thanks.
Old September 10th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Iona

I understand and have been reading....and I will tip! and the whole amount! Thanks everyone
for you input...
PS....I sure hope I am not going on the same cruise or you would all gang up on me..... Just jokeing.
Happy cruiseing everyone

NCL SEA 2000
NCL SEA 2001
NCL SEA 2002
CARNIVAL CELEBRATION 2003
CARNIVAL PARADISE 2004
Old September 11th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Passenger

Iona, I understand what you are saying. We don't even eat in the dining area but we still tip the suggested amount. I don't know about the getting fired if you don't turn in tip thing but ya never know it could be possible.

If you are on a fixed income, tip what you are financially comfortable no need to even consider giving up a trip like someone suggested. Everyone has been or could very easily be one day on a fixed income. You tip what you want and feel comfortable giving and have a great trip.

Honeymooned on the Star Princess Nov 2004
1st Anniversary on the Carribean Princess Oct 2005
Old September 11th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Hi Iona,

Please just tip whatever you are comfortable with and can afford. If you can't afford the $10.00 a day, just adjust it. If you are on a fixed income, don't go into debt just to tip. You'll still get good service

I hope we can cruise together sometime! I promise I won't "gang up" on you :lol: ,

Sea Princess 2014
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Dearest Iona - you can be totally flexible with the tipping. You can adjust the amount or remove it entirely.
The $10.00 per person per day amount is for your room steward, waiter and his assistant. We use this amount as our guideline. If we feel that our room steward, wait team has given us service above and beyond we will tip more. If the service was lacking and less than acceptable, its better to fill out the comment cards as opposed to not tipping as much. The tips get pooled, the comment cards get read by the head waiter and hotel manager.
The automatic tipping works very well for Personal Choice dining, as you will have a different wait team every night.
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Beginner

Iona,

If my grandma (who's 85) was going to go on what she thought was her last cruise....and it was us grandkids that had given her the cruise to start with.....I would tell her to tip what she felt comfortable in tipping. I would NEVER talk to her or anyone else of that age in a condescending, demeaning or rude way and I certainly wouldn't tell her to give up her cruise. I am personally in the travel industry so yes, I am well aware of what the crew gets paid. HOWEVER.....I have also always been taught to respect my elders, love them in their last few years and wish them the best last years of their life. Iona.......you go on your cruise and you have the time of your life. You have lived long enough to have earned the right to do as you please so don't you listen to "that other person". You tip what you feel is right and listen to your own self. HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME AND I WISH YOU MANY MORE YEARS OF HEALTH!!
Old September 15th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Beginner

In the UK we cant understand all the fuss about tipping. I wish I had a $ for every post Ive read on tipping

If its such a sore subject (and everything is pooled) why not abolish the tipping on board add the 10$ per person per day to the cruise invoice and pay the crew a decent wage.

Job done
Old September 15th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Beginner

alynn..........that would be a wonderful thing if that were to happen. Then I wouldn't have to try to explain to clients who have never cruised before, that not only are they paying for their cruise fare, port charges and the like but then onboard they will be paying for their tips, too. I'm with you.....just up the prices slightly and be done with it.
Old October 12th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Passenger

First to Alynn, in the UK you are used to having a service charge of a set percent added to your bill, but as you know, that is not the case here. We tip at our discretion. Some stick to 15% no matter what, in NY, where sales tax is 8.5%, some just double the tax, while others tip more for better service.
No grandma, my mother is 83, and she just came back from a river boat cruise to Russia. What makes you think this is your last cruise? Have fun.
Old October 14th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle
Iona, are you even reading what other people are saying? You can tip who you want, but it goes into a big pool, or they get fired. You are obviously not going to tip as much as suggested. If the service is good, you should be leaving the tips on the shipboard accounts. If you service is beyond expectations, you COULD extend extra cash tips if you feel that's appropriate. Tipping 5% at a restaurant doens't cut it anymore. The fact is that these people are hardly paid. The same at a restaurant, most Waiters make 2-3 dollars per hour and rely on tips. So think twice before being cheap. Thanks.
If it all goes into a pool or "they get fired", why bother to tip anything extra?
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Beginner

I agree with the, adding the tip into the cost of the trip, idea. Many of the larger resorts do this, all-inclusive, and it is wonderful. You don't have to worry about carrying cash around with you, or figuring out the proper amount to tip. You also don't have to worry about stopping in to adjust the tip amounts on your account. I am sure this is something we will all see in the future on the cruise lines. I am going on my first cruise next weekend, and I already put aside my tip money for the account. I just wanted to get it out of the way. Enjoy your trip as well!
Old October 14th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Hi tutak,

From what I understand, the extra tips go into a pool and, as long as everyone on staff gets tipped their "usual" amount out of the $10.00 per day, the staff who get extra tips get to keep them.

I don't have a clue as to how they figure all of this out

Sea Princess 2014
Old October 22nd, 2005, 09:17 AM
Passenger

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd jump in here. I was brought up that tipping was at the customer's discretion for good service. My Dad tipped 15% for good service, and less for adequate service, or not at all for poor service. In the latter, he would make a point to mentioning the poor service to the service person and manager, but always in a respectful, nondemeaning manner. He just made the point that such service probably cost them his future business. My point in this, is that I believe in tipping for good service, 20% for great service, sometimes more. I have been to many 5-star restaurants, hotels, and shows, and have on many occassions had "5-star" service warranting good tips. I never have to question what to tip because I KNOW WHEN I GET GOOD or GREAT service. The quality of service, food, ambience, attention, responsiveness etc., on these (Princess) ships has always been found by me to be exceptional. I consider the $10/day/pp to be a poor and embarrassing tip for the service received daily. When I take my wife out to a 5-star dinner that costs $80-$160 for 2 with wine, the tip would be $20-$40 dollars for dinner alone (for outstanding service). Now add to the day the outstanding response/service of the room steward at your beck and call, the excellent lunches, breakfast service, free room service, the nightly shows---all in a single day! And the tip for all this personal service is a paltry $20 per day per couple. Yes I know we pay for this with the ticket price, but the presentation by the staff can vary greatly potentially. A good example are the reviews of NCL Pride of America out of Hawaii posted in this forum. It's a good example of a ship and crew I'd be hard pressed to not go to the purser and zero out my tip. BTW, I know about service life as in my youth I was the service person working for tips---