Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Beginner

Default Make the Titanic

Why doesn't one of the cruise lines build a replica of the Titanic? Im sure people would love to go on it. It would be something different. All the ships now look the same. Im sure they can get the ship plans. I went on the SS. Norway before NCL got rid of it and it was so awesome.

The Cruise lines are building bigger and bigger ships, they are going to have to make a ship that is smaller otherwise a lot of the passengers wont be going on cruise ships anymore. Carnival is going to make a 240,000 ton ship. That's way to big. The biggest ship that I will go on is the Sapphire class and that's way to big as it is. It took forever to get on and off the ship Sapphire.

It would be so cool to see the Titanic floating by into the sunset someday!
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Beginner

Nobody, but nobody will want to sail on a vessel that ended in disaster. No Ship Owner ever names a new ship after one that had a bad history. And I doubt if Celine Dion will want to sing "My heart goes out ..." or Leonardo di Caprio to want to stand on the 'Knight head', the most stupidest place of any on a ship, again.
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Yes, I think those who would be spooked by the prospect of getting on a Titanic replica far outnumber those who would think it's a neat idea.

There are other issues as well:

1. The Titanic didn't have balconies. No cruise line would build a ship without them today.

2. The Titanic was built as a liner, not a cruise ship. There are fundamental differences that would make it unacceptable for today's needs.

3. Various basic design elements, such as the hull, are utterly obsolete by today's standards and would lead to tremendous operational inefficiences if replicated today.

4. The Titanic was a relatively small ship, and today's trend is "supersize me."

Remember, Titanic's sister ship, the Olympic, was sent to the breakers long ago because she was considered less than efficient.
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Familiar Face

Default The Titanic

I think it would be cool. I know people would sail on it for sure just so long as it stayed away from icebergs in the North Atlantic.
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:43 AM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Rob M.

Aren't Cunard's ships much similar the Titanic in style and design?

Crown Princess - Southern Caribbean 10/27/2007

Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean 2/24/2008

Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii Circle Cruise - Fall 2008

Past Cruises:
Grand Princess - W. Caribbean - Jan 2006
Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - Jan 2005
Radiance of The Seas - September 2006 - 14 nights R/T Los Angeles to Hawaii
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Beginner

Default Titanic replica

Even if a Ship Owner could be persuaded; and allowed; to build a replica of the "Titanic" ( and the only thing that would be the same is the name), he, the Ship Owner would have a hard time finding a crew. Sailors are notoriously superstitious and would not sail in a ship of "bad omen".
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Admiral

I can maybe seeing it as a floating restaurant, hotel and museum.
I agree that its not practical and i think that it would be a hard sell to try to send passengers on a "doomed" ship.
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Beginner

Being in the industry myself........there is no way we could sell that to our clients. If we could, it'd be a very small minority of them. I actually get asked when making cruise bookings about the Titanic. Especially from newbies to the cruising just making their first reservation. They'll kind of nervously make reference to it and I'll immediately ease their worries. But truly, there are people out there that still think about the Titanic when they think of cruising and are afraid that'll happen to them! So please......no new ships named Titanic. As for the person you said something about it being similar to Cunard....not so much the ship design but the "air" of it could be called similar to it. I think Cunard is the closest you'll get towards the same ambience.