Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Beginner

Default Caribbean Princess Promenade Deck

My wife and I, longtime cruisers, sailed on the CP recently. Lovely time, but I'm disappointed at the remnant of what used to be the Promenade Deck. I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy, and I like a Promenade Deck that's wide and made of teak wood. The one on the CP is hardly wider than a walking track, is made of some kind of composite material and doesn't even have room for lounge chairs, just upright chairs. Walking a Promenade Deck at night is one of the romantic aspects of a cruise, and I'd hate to see this feature being designed out of future ships. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanx, Ron.
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Beginner

Ron....I know....couldn't agree with you more...our first cruise was on the Noordam in '95...loved the real teak deck...one of my favourite things to do was just grab a deck chair(real, teak, blue cushion)with a coffee and
a book first thing in the morning, and just watch the place wake up to a new day....and....it went all the way 'round!! Because it was nice and wide, with nice teak chaises, and it went right around, I found it was much moreofa real "promenade", where people would walk, met, lounge, stroll, etc. I find the place to be mostly deserted nowadays. I know the Noordam is gone now, and we've mostly cruised Princess for the last 5 years or so....I wonder....HAL used to be known for their wraparound teak decks....are they still?? I miss them...but, then again, I guess we find ourselves in this world of "revenue maximization", and that sort of world is, sadly, not overly conducive to some of the pleasures of more traditional cruising.
Old September 19th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Beginner

Well, I'm glad there are at least two of us. I believe you're right about revenue maximization. Seems they're expanding the interior space at the expense of the exterior space on the Promenade deck. Way back in the old days, they'd come around with beverage carts on the exterior Promenade deck, serving coffee, tea and alcoholic drinks. That produced some revenue, but not enough, I guess. We're taking the Island Princess to Hawaii next month, for the second year in a row. One reason I like that ship so much is the traditional Promenade Deck -- and it wraps around, too. Also, the steam rooms are important to me, and the IP has three tiny ones that concentrate the heat very well; the CB has a big one that never gets hot enough. Easier to get an elevator on the IP, too. The whole ship seems better designed. Coral is probably the same way, since it's the IP's twin. I'd really like to see more ships on the Island-Coral template, but I fear the trend is toward the super-mega-ships. A shame.

Ron