Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Beginner

Default Parasailing

Hi everyone........... I would like some fedback if you will.........about parasailing from persons that have done this. I know lots of folks warn you about doing sports like this but it's something we would like to do at least once. But we would like to hear from folks that have actually done this and their honest thoughts after they went. We are doing this in Cabo

Thanks Jo
Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:53 PM
First Mate

I did this on Holland America's private island, and it was awesome. They let me go up about 400 feet and I was looking down on the ship. I felt very safe the whole time.

In Cabo, I saw others parasailing from my snorkel boat, and I don't think they got as high. But they were all laughing, especially those people in the couples harness...

Take one of those disposable waterproof cameras for aerial photos...

Dana
Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:23 PM
Passenger

I have parasailed a few times in the past. Once in Cabo, and once in Acapulco. We were in line to parasail once in Mazatlan, but one of the people in line in front of us had a bit of a mishap and bumped into the side of a building (they were shook up but otherwise fine). We decided to skip parasailing that day. At the time, in Mazatlan, they were taking people right off the beach and landing them on the beach. In Hawaii last month, I noticed that they were going up and down right off the boat with a winch pulling the line in and out. That seems a lot safer than the way they did it in Mexico years ago!

Julie
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:40 PM
Beginner

Default Parasailing

Thanks for the information. We signed up with "JT Watersports" in Cabo.
They look like a real good resorce as they provide free transportation to and from the dock area from the e-mail I got when I asked how to get to the parasailing beach. They have two large boats a 33' and 30'. The pictures they post are awsome. We are going up tandum as I do have a fear of height. ..............of course I will take my camera. I've never used one of the disposable water ones...do you think they will be good to show distance and all or blur when up there? Not many people as you can see have answered and lots of folks we know think we're crazy. I mentioned to them the stats of how dangerous it is just driving to work. We kind of figure if it's our time it's our time. We'll just sail away together

Love to hear from you all.................Jo
Old October 4th, 2005, 10:55 AM
First Mate

Yeah, the disposable camera should be fine to show distance. I'd suggest the Fuji over the Kodak for picture quality.

You _could_ take a regular or video camera, but try real hard to keep it out of the drink...

Dana
Old October 5th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Beginner

Default parasailing

Thanks again for your comments. I have a small digital camera I will put in a fanny pack with a plastic liner, I am going to get a zoom disposable camera and see if I can talk the other people that go with us to take some pictures of us as we get hooked up and are flying away. Hopefully we go with some that like to take pictures not that they have any thing else to do while we're up there...........I have noticed some parasailing companies offer pictures, t-shirts etc; Unfortunately this one doesn't but that's ok you can't always have everything, I'm just a picture nut.

Jo
Old October 5th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Familiar Face

Default Parasailing

I did go parasailing 4 times and loved each time.
The places were once in Maui, once in the Bahama's and twice in Mazatlan.
I felt that it was something I was suppose to do. The first and second time I took off and landed on a platform and the two times in Mazatlan I went and landed from the Beach. I guess some boats have take you up from the boat.
I know there are double seaters in some places. But they only take up so much weight. The lighter, the higher I would think. I went pretty high each time. On the first time I felt like I felt the need to grip the ropes tight. I think it is a reflex, because you are held up by straps. Once I relaxed into the seating straps and just let go of fear I was able to look around and love it all.
When you are about to go up you will be given instructions on how to land. Pay attention. Usually there will be someone on the platform or beach to guide you in.
Be aware that accidents can happen.
There was one guy down in Mexico who sailed into the sails of a sailboat and hurt his arm. But the boat carrying the parasailer should have been more carefull.
I am sure it's rare to have problems with good instructions from a good team.
Just go with the flow and you will love it.
It's the most awesome feeling. You will love it.