Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 4th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Passenger

Default Transfer from Ship to Airport

Hi. We just purchased a Transfer from Ship to Airport when we disembark on our last day. Has anyone used this service before? We are hoping it will be a seamless way to get us to our flight on time?
Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Depending on what port your cruise ends in, it may be much smoother and even cheaper to take a taxi.

In Florida ports I find ship's transfers to be a pain in the ----. You wait for the buses to fill, and then at the airport you're basically dumped into a pile of luggage, and have to search out your bags... general mayhem seems to be the order of the day.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Admiral

from what airport to which pier? It makes a difference, lots of times, unless you are with a group, taxis are better and cheaper
Old October 4th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Passenger

OH gosh, it is Ft. Lauderdale. They made it seem like we'd have a taxi waiting for us to take us to the airport! Sounds more like a bus filled with other cruisers?? There are 4 of us.

Are there cabs around when we disembark? We need to get to the airport right away to catch a flight and we thought that this transfer would get us off the ship faster and get us to the airport faster.

So, maybe we should consider cancelling this transfer?? We are from NYC and are a very impatient group
Old October 5th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Admiral

transfers are via bus, you don't leave until the bus is full and luggage is loaded. For 4 people, grab a cab, there are plenty available at the pier.
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone! I finally got the transfers cancelled after much debate with Princess, but it all worked out, and we'll be taking a cab! thank you so much!
Old October 6th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Beginner

Hi Lisee, As the others have said-take a taxi. We have cruised about 6 times now and the first time we took a transfer and that was the last time. We had no problem with the transfer but it took quite a while to get to the airport because we had to wait for the bus to fill up. But we were new to this cruise world and hadn't been introduced to cruisemates yet so we didn't know anybetter. Now we get off the ship, go to the luggage area grab our suitcase( the ones with the bright "things" on them so they stand out. ) grab a porter and he takes them to the curb where there are numerous taxis ready for your buisness and off to the airport. By the time you get your luggage you will be at the airport in probably 15 minutes. It really works out well. Have you cruised before ? Take care Knarf (Frank backwards)
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lisee: we used to use the Princess transfers until I read other posts regarding taxis and limos. We just returned from an Alaska cruise out of Seattle. We used someone's advice on this board and "used the ground transporation" phone to check the price of a taxi vs. a limo to take us from the airport to the waterfront. The taxi was $32.00 vs. a limo for $35.00. We took the limo and traveled in luxury. I visited with other passengers on the ship who opted for Princess transfers. They were herded into a bus and had to wait for the bus to fill. Cost for their transfer (one way) was $18 per person. We too had taken the transfers when we booked our cruise, but contacted out TA a month or more before sail date to cancel the transfers. I'm glad we did.

Enjoy your cruise!
Old October 7th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Passenger

Thanks everybody. I cancelled the transfer and am looking forward to taking a taxi. There is no way I want to sit on a bus with a bunch of other passengers. And there are 4 of us travelling together, so it would have been $40 on the bus! I'm sure a taxi will be the same or cheaper! Thanks again!
Old October 7th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Passenger

we are travelling out of Galveston. We paid $90 (Canadian dollars) each return for Princess transfers. Is that WAY too much? Not sure what airport we are travelling ... booked it through Princess and haven't heard yet.
Old October 7th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Lisee,
You will most likely be saving both money and time by getting a taxi or even 2 if all four of you and your luggage don't fit into one. The pier in Ft. Lauderdale is right next to the airport. The actual taxi ride may take 10 minutes. By the time you would of been sitting on the bus, you will be at the airport and not arriving with a bus load of people. Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 8th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Beginner

Lisee,
We had 4 in our party and used a large van for our transfer. It held about 7-8 passengers and luggage and was $7pp. It did make one other stop to drop off a group at another airline, but was really quite fast. It would probably take two regular taxis for 4 people and luggage. They would be about $14 each. A porter is helpful when you get off the ship just ask him to get you into a van or taxi and they know just what to do.
Be aware that arriving at the FLL terminal can be a hassle. If you are more than four hours early for your flight, they may not let you check your luggage and go through security.
Rick J
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:50 AM
Beginner

Does anyone have first-hand experience with Princess transfers in Los Angeles (San Pedro) to LAX. Do they just dump you at the airport to find your luggage and then you have to get to your airline terminal? LAX is a very large airport and I have an early flight thanks to Delta moving up our departure by 3 hours!
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Alaska 5: we took the Princess transfers from LAX to San Pedro and San Pedro to LAX. It's not worth the hassle. We sailed the Diamond to the Mexican Riveria last October. You wait on the bus until it full, then depart. Security won't allow the buses to park in front of the airline terminal, so the bus parked a block away. We had to drag our luggage a block to check it through the sky cap, then return to another line to go through security. It took us over an hour for this process and we just made it to our gate as they were boarding the last passenger. Passengers who took taxis were dropped off at their airline terminal. We disembarked at 8:30 and our flight left at 11:45.

We learned our lesson and didn't use Princess transfers when we cruised to Alaska this September. We took a limo from Sea-Tac to a waterfront hotel by Pike Place Market for $35.00. The return limo trip from the ship to Sea-Tac was $40. Cabs were $32 to the Market and $38 from the ship to Sea-Tac.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 08:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice Marie
You wait on the bus until it full, then depart. Security won't allow the buses to park in front of the airline terminal, so the bus parked a block away. We had to drag our luggage a block to check it through the sky cap, then return to another line to go through security. It took us over an hour for this process and we just made it to our gate as they were boarding the last passenger. Passengers who took taxis were dropped off at their airline terminal. We disembarked at 8:30 and our flight left at 11:45.
Thanks, Janice Marie. One other question. After getting off the ship, do you get your luggage BEFORE you board the Princess transfer bus so your luggage is on the same bus with you?

On our Alaska cruise, those people who took Princess transfers had their luggage taken separately to a holding spot at the Anchorage airport and they picked it up there. Of course, the Anchorage airport is a lot smaller.

Our flight is at 12:19 (was originally 3:20) and I'm worried if our disembarkation gets held up by immigration problems. I've read of folks who said they were delayed up to 2 hours. That would kill us.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, your luggage will be in a holding area with everyone else's. You pick up your luggage and haul it to the bus. If you plan to pack alot, make sure you grab a porter (they'll be located at the holding area). He/she will load it on a cart and take it to your bus. Tipping is usually a $1 per bag. We put bright colored tape on our luggage so it's easier to find. Neon colors work great!

I'd suggest a taxi if your flight is around noon. You might do an internet search on LAX to see if they have a ground transportation department. Those folks should be able to give you an estimate for cab fare to the San Pedro from LAX and the return trip. Ground transportation in Seattle was able to give us a quote for taxi vs. limo fare to and from the pier.

I hope you enjoy the Mexican Riviera. We've sailed this route 3 times and plan to go back next year. Enjoy!
Old October 23rd, 2005, 10:41 AM
Beginner

Thanks, Janice Marie, for all your helpful info. I'm still thinking about changing flight from non-stop to a one-stop which is about 55 minutes later just for a little peace of mind. At least now I know what to expect when we get off the ship.

Hope we enjoy the Mexican itinerary as much as you.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:42 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to ricardito

hi everyone
the replies have definitely been an eye opener. i am going to ask a real dumb ass question, but as the saying goes "if you dont ask..."

i will be flying from the uk to fort laudedale, and i just wanted to know is the experience of transfers just as traumatic on arrival or are they in more of a hurry to get you on board the ship to set sail so less like to keep you for about an hour? i am dreading the whole immigration saga which will take forever, having to hang around for another hour after that will not make me a happy bunny!

thanks
dito x