Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Beginner

Default Information about New Waves "Discover" scuba dive

I'm curious about the New Waves Discover dives excuriosn. I really have no desire to devote significant amount of this vacation to dive certification, but I would like to try SCUBA to see if I am interested enough to pursue certification later.

So my question is: Are the "Discover" dives introductory, shallow water, instructor controlled, test drives of the SCUBA route? This is what they sound like in the excursion brochure compared to the other programs for those seeking certification.
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Passenger

The Discover dive that I did was exactly that. We had about a 10 minute talk about how to use the equipment and some of the safety rules. Then it took about 10-15 minutes to equip everybody. We did a shore entry dive with an estimated maximum depth of 20-25 feet. It did peak my interest and I went on to become certified later. My only complaint is that it seemed rushed because it was guided and you didn't really have a chance to stop and really watch what was going on around you. We did this in Cozemel. The reef wasn't that nice at this location however, there was a nice variety of small fish. Enjoy!
Old October 7th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Admiral

My guys did this in St. Maarten and they had a great time.
It is a basic introduction to SCUBA diving, a great way to find out if this is something you want to persue in the future to get your PADI certification.
Bring an underwater camera, they got some really great pictures.