Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Beginner

Default Questions on what you can bring on ship.

I have a few "stupid" questions on what you can bring on a ship. I will be sailing out of SF on the Dawn. I live in the Bay Area so I will not be travling on a plane. Is security the same for cruise ships?

Can I bring nail scissors? I wanted to bring some scrapbooking items, or my needle point. Will I be able to pack the paper cutter scrapbook tool, or any scissors? I know these items are not allowed on a plane. (scissors, anyway..) How about medications? Stupid questions...but I hate to bring something that may be against policy and hold up my group from boarding. Since I do not travel much anymore (kids...sports..) much has changed since 911...any info would be helpful!
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Admiral

Things that come to mind would be weapons, illegal substances and alcohol that are not allowed but yes you can bring scissors, knitting or needlepoint needles, etc. I sure others might come up with other items.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old October 9th, 2005, 12:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

I am sure you will be allowed your scissors etc...
Medications? not sure what your questions is..you can bring your meds be sure to bring enough for the cruise and a few days extra supply .

When are you sailing?
Old October 9th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Passenger

Put all of your things in your luggage, not in your carry on. No problem, just make sure it is legal. Many people knit and do needle point on cruises, you will be just fine. If you have a digital camera, you can get your pix printed daily and get a jump on your scrapbook. Enjoy your cruise.
Old October 9th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Passenger

I would recommend tht you take your medications in the original containers. As far as presciption medications at the very least carry a copy of your RX label. (Your Pharmacist can provide this.) Law enforcement agencies are protected if you carry medications with you that are not in the original containers with an RX label. I would suggest the same for over the counter medication. Many of these items can be mistaken for RX medications and even though they will be eventually identified as non-prescription, why run the risk of the embarassment and hassel involved until they can be identified. The laws are even stricted overseas than they are in the US.
Old October 11th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Beginner

What if you don't have the original bottle with the RX label? Do they check things like that? I also want to bring my powder drink mix. I take everyday...very legal just your normal stuff. But, I did not want to bring the huge container...thought I would put in a small cup (the mixing cup I drink it in..) I was planning on just throwing all that in my check-in bag. If they can sneak in liquor in check-in bags, why would they check your RX labels or over the counter meds? I usually just put them all together when I travel...less space. Not that I take that many...asprin, vitiams, anti -depressant.

Do they have tables that I can do my scrapbooking on? Where would be a good place. My son was a game away from the Little League World so I have a lot of news paper clippings.
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:05 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanklam
What if you don't have the original bottle with the RX label? Do they check things like that? I also want to bring my powder drink mix. I take everyday...very legal just your normal stuff. But, I did not want to bring the huge container...thought I would put in a small cup (the mixing cup I drink it in..) I was planning on just throwing all that in my check-in bag. If they can sneak in liquor in check-in bags, why would they check your RX labels or over the counter meds? I usually just put them all together when I travel...less space. Not that I take that many...asprin, vitiams, anti -depressant.

Do they have tables that I can do my scrapbooking on? Where would be a good place. My son was a game away from the Little League World so I have a lot of news paper clippings.
The mix stuff shouldnt be a problem. Same goes for the OTC meds. The prescription stuff may be of the kind that is illegal to posses without a doctors persription ie pain killers. Thats why some are saying bring them in their original containers. If you put them in your checked luggage I seriously doubt any one will care/know. If you were flying there my be some issues if TSA needed to take a peek in your bag and then see's some pill without any type of ID.

FYI I think it may be law through out the states that prescription meds be carried in their original containers or at least have a copy of the perscription handy. I might be wrong. Im not saying they will throw you in jail but it would certainly straighten out any problem that may arrise.

Im sure there is some place where you can hole up and do some scrap booking.

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Never, i repeat Never put your daily medications in your checked baggage. Pack them along with your OTC in your carry-on luggage. What happens if your bags don't make it?? YOu could be without essential meds.
I use those weekly pill dispensers for my prescription meds. If i am taking any kind of prescription narcotic pain killer, i will bring along a copy of the prescription. Just in case. 9 times out of 10 customs won't go searching thru your medications, they are looking for large quantities of drugs.
I buy those 25 count small bottles for my Tylenol or Advil. i bring along a couple of rolls of Rolaids,small sizes don't take up much room and they are labeled.
As for your protein drink mix, i don't see why you couldn't put it in a small container or ziploc bag and put the label off the box or can with it. I wouldn't put it in your checked baggage, you could have a powdery mess all over your clothes if it spills.
Old October 16th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Passenger

I would do what Lisa said and bring the labels off any container that you arent bringing. Usually they have the dogs that go by and smell the bags for any kind of drugs..pot, coke, etc. If it were me, I would leave my Rx meds in the container and bring the daily dispenser things like Lisa said. Then with the powder drink I would just throw them and it in a big ziploc freezer bag and double bag the bag if you might be worried about spillage.

Honeymooned on the Star Princess Nov 2004
1st Anniversary on the Carribean Princess Oct 2005
Old October 16th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

As a poster above said, Do NOT put your medications into your checked luggage, or anything else that is valuable, like your camera. Many people do put these things into checked bags, and sometimes they come up missing. Jewelry, meds, electronics, and money should all be hand carried. It's a sad note on today's world, but one must be more careful.
Old October 20th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Beginner

I never had a problem with scizzors, a sewing kit and a manicure kit. Packed these in checked baggage. I carry my meds in a large weekly dosage container (the kind with daily dosage removable holders that snap into a weekly tray.) I stick the extra presciption label that comes on the pharmacy print-out on the back of the tray. I put the case in a zip lock bag in case a compartment comes open and put in my carry-on. I also take various OTC meds in small sizes: Pepto tablets (great for many "overeating" problems), sunblock/moisturizer stick for lips, eye drops, and a basic first aid kit. On my first cruise I had to buy all these items on board or in port. I also take a mini kit (a small plastic cosmetics bag) with shampoo, a comb, hand wipes, band aids, etc. to take on shore excursions. (Getting all salty and sandy is great; riding back or continuing your excursion all sticky and gritty is not!!)