Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Passenger

Default Grand Princess/ Galveston

We are trying the Grand this winter, our first time on Princess. We have been on Celebrity and NCL mostly. How is the ship, give us some pointers we might want to know, has anyone departed from Galveston? Anything you can tell me is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Hi robins,

When are you cruising? If you are planning on staying overnight in Galveston and don't have reservations yet, better get started! There are a lot of things going on in Galveston in the winter months and it's hard to get a hotel room sometimes. Galveston is a wonderful town. There are lots of things to see and do there if you're coming in early. Don't miss the Strand area and just "cruising" down Seawall Blvd. can be very interesting for "people watching"!

We were on the Grand Princess last New Year's and had a wonderful time! The ship is in very good shape and someone was always cleaning, painting, polishing, etc .

The only possible "complaints" we would have was the food, a very subjective subject (we found it a bit bland and too salty), and the size of the ship! We never did get to see all of it and we were on a 10 day cruise!

We loved Anytime Dining. We ate when we felt like it and always asked to be seated with others. We never had to wait and met many nice people (and a few I was glad I didn't have to sit with every night!).

We had our first balcony cabin (no turning back now!) and it was wonderful. The cabin was a decent size for two, but would have been cramped for more, IMO.

As you can see below, we're trying NCL for the first time in December. We think it will fit our "style" very well!

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask ,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 16th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Passenger

Fern, thanks for the reply, saw things on both threads. I am new to these boards, but have used Cruise Critic for a number of years. It seems to be more active, but I keep forgetting what I had used as a password so its a real pain.
I think you were the one who asked what I meant by up-scale on the other thread. I am not talking about anything having to do with laid back southerners, but we always felt that there were more professionals, business owners and upper level management type people on Celebrity. The children are better behaved for the most part as well. We travel during the February school break week that we have in the NY area, Massachusetts and, for some reason, Michigan, so there are alot of kids of all ages.
Not sure if we will try anytime dining, or whether we will stick with the set seating then try some of the specialty restaurants some nights.
How is the spa on the Grand? Thanks for recommending getting reservations now. We are coming in Friday night, will stay over, but hubby likes to get to the ship early, so we really won't be spending time in Galveston. I am surprised to find out that none of the hotels offer transfers to the pier. In Ft Lauderdale, most of them do. Is it easy to get cabs to the pier? Someone recommended Galveston Limo, or something like that to use from the airport to Galveston.
Old October 16th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Admiral

robins,

I didn't use the spa, but I'm sure someone who has will answer that question .

It's my understanding that the cab driver's in Galveston protested the free shuttles that the hotels provided and won . I have seen posts that mention free shuttles are still running from some hotels, but right now I don't remember which ones they were.

We've stayed at Commodore on the Beach. It's an older hotel, and a little run down, but clean, reasonably priced and right across from the beach on Seawall Blvd. They also offer free cruise parking (unsecured, but monitored by camera from the front desk). They called us a cab when we were ready to go to the ship.

I think many people would recommend the Harbor House Hotel. It's right next to the pier-walking distance to the ship.

If you haven't already, go to www.galveston.com for a lot of information about Galveston and hotels. Since we drive to Galveston, I don't know much about transportation from the airports.

Have a wonderful cruise

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014