Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:48 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to maggiehar
Default Galvaston Advice

Need some advice about sailing out of Galvaston. We will probably fly in on Friday and hopefully have some luck getting a reasonable room. Would love some advice about a good place to stay and the best way to get to the ship. We have always sailed out of Fort Lauderdale and it seems as if Galvaston might be a bit of a hassel.

Thanks!
Maggie
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Hi maggie,

We've sailed out of Galveston twice and didn't have any "hassles" .

Where to stay really depends on how much you want to spend. The prices in Galveston can fluctuate greatly, depending on what's going on at the time

We've stayed at Commodore on the Beach (check out their website). It's an older motel, but clean, the people are friendly, and it's right across from the beach.

You can leave your car in their lot for free during your cruise. It's not secured, but they do monitor the area from a closed circuit TV at the desk. They don't have a shuttle to the pier, but will call you a cab (I think it was $8.00) when you're ready to go.

Many people recommend the Harbor House, so you might want to check their site, too. I believe that Harbor House is in walking distance of the pier if you can handle your luggage yourself , but I don't know about parking there.

If you have time, be sure to go to the Strand area. Lots of great shops! Or just "cruise" up and down Seawall Blvd. and people watch! Galveston is small enough that it's almost impossible to get lost.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Passenger

Getting to Galveston is not a problem, depends on the airport. Bush (IAH) is north of Houston and is about an hour and a half drive depending on time of day and traffic. Hobby is on the south side of Houston, about a forty-five minute drive to Galveston.

Take I-45S from Houston, after you cross the Causeway get off at the Teichman/Harborside exit. At the stop sign, turn left and follow Harborside until you reach the cruise terminals.

Log on to Galveston.com for hotel info or call the Chamber of Commerce.
Old October 24th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much for your help! We got a great deal on a cruise on the Grand and we have never sailed out of Galveston. We're flying in on Friday. Should we try and stay in Houston or go on to Galveston. Are there any free shuttles from the airport to a motel in Galveston? We checked today on a car rental. We're just not too sure which way to go. We welcome any help.

Thanks!
Maggie
Old November 6th, 2005, 10:56 AM
First Mate

You will not find any free shuttles from the airports to Galveston. It is a 40 mile distance from Hobby. Only one car rental company currently offers free drop in Galveston, I think it is Advanatge (not sure).
I understand folks have been very happy with Galveston Limo, they use large vans for transfers.

Hit the web sites, you will find a bunch of motels/hotels that offer free transfers to the pier.

You could use Galveston limo to your hotel then from the pier back to your flight.

The only "hassle" you will find is making the left turn into the pier area, but it means an extra couple of minutes waiting for the ledft turn light. No big deal.
Old November 6th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Passenger

Thanks for your help. For now, we are planning on staying in Houston since we're going with friends. We will probably get a car/van and drop it off at the pier. I think it's going to be too much trouble to stay in Galvaston. I will check out the Lime service.

M
Old November 20th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Beginner

I live in Houston and sail from Galveston most of the time. If you fly into houston it might be cheaper to rent a car in houston and drive to galveston than do the transfers. You can go on skyauction.com and get a room at the Moody Gardens hotel which is a very good hotel for about $90 a night, they offer free transfer to the cruise ships. Or try the moody garden hotel web site.